• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Extra Hose After Carb Service

cal0987

CAL0987
Hose diagram,airbox/carbs/gas tank

Trying my hand at working on a 1998 F650 this time!
Took a while to take the bike apart to get to the carbs. Did some replacement parts on the carbs and again a while to get it back together.
After assembly, it seems i have an extra drain hose unaccounted for....
SPent a long time online trying to find a good hose routing diagram for the carb and Airbox, but not much out there.
So I made my own, I hope I reconnected everything correctly, was a little sloppy taking it apart.
F650 Carbs (Copy).jpeg
Not sure where the extra drain hose attaches to, it is on the left side , under the battery tray.

Also more fun: discovered after assembling everything, that when i went to connect the fuel line to the Petcock, it was about 2" short.
The hose must have bee run from the carb facing the engine, and i ran it back way from the engine and around the fram.
Rather than taking everything out again:banghead , decided to add some more hose to bridge the gap... seems the easiest way

Last edited:
Is the hose the battery vent from original flooded battery?

There are a lot of abandoned battery vent lines since AGM’s were introduced on older bikes

There are a lot of abandoned battery vent lines since AGM’s were introduced on older bikes

Sounds like a great idea! I was kinda thinking the same, as the hose has some white residue inside...

From the picture it looks like the hose with the ??? is connected to the air box or is this a guess?

/Guenther

Originally Started as a project to get my Girlfriends 1997 F650 back and running after it was "puking petrol" 2 years back and had sat in the garage since. So took apart the carbs and replace most, except the floats , as they seemed good.
I think it was a case of leaving the Petcock open too many times and for too long! Some of the seals may have been old too, but it was hard to tell since it sat so long. Did some float height adjustment also.
Got everything back together after much struggling... went to connect the fuel line, and ooops, 2" short..damn! Turns out that I had run the fuel line back and around the frame, which I thought was the way it had gone, instead of forward close to the engine. Well instead of taking everything apart again, I just added a fuel filter and some extra fuel line on the way to the petcock...problem solved. .went to start up...nothing. turns out the battery was dead after 2 years sitting, even though I had periodically charged it. So ordered new battery, installed today, and after a little sputtering, it started! Took it around the block. .we have a running bike!
20201017_171744 (Copy).jpg

Back