• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Picked up a 2016 r1200rs

brownie0486

Seconds bike to the GS1200 camhead, I'd been looking at the RT's but I walked into this 2016 r1200rs with shad panniers, 28K on the odo. Previous owner 55 bought it new,, it's always been maintained by my personal mechanic in Gilbert, Az who's the only tech I'll let touch my GS.

Made date 5/15, I pick it up Tuesday morning, I'll get pics up sometime after that. It's Lupin Blue

Questions for those who ride this bike?

1. Are there any issues to be aware of? I looked for recalls, just a silly reflector adjustment if the panniers block it.

2. Average mileage? I know it's subjective on how one rides, but closing in on 70, I won't be keeping the tach on the high side very often.

3. How's the seat for long distance? This one has the low seat and it's so nice to be able to bend the knees and feet planted.

4. Any quirks on this one to be aware of? This one has the premium package.

Thanks in advance

Seconds bike to the GS1200 camhead, I'd been looking at the RT's but I walked into this 2016 r1200rs with shad panniers, 28K on the odo. Previous owner 55 bought it new,, it's always been maintained by my personal mechanic in Gilbert, Az who's the only tech I'll let touch my GS.

Made date 5/15, I pick it up Tuesday morning, I'll get pics up sometime after that. It's Lupin Blue

Questions for those who ride this bike?

1. Are there any issues to be aware of? I looked for recalls, just a silly reflector adjustment if the panniers block it.

2. Average mileage? I know it's subjective on how one rides, but closing in on 70, I won't be keeping the tach on the high side very often.

3. How's the seat for long distance? This one has the low seat and it's so nice to be able to bend the knees and feet planted.

4. Any quirks on this one to be aware of? This one has the premium package.

Thanks in advance

Responses

1) No issues beyond the potential Limp mode experience of all LC Boxers.

2) 50-mpg is a good estimate for non-interstate travel. At interstate speeds and using a larger screen, your mileage will drop to 48-mpg or under

3) I'm 6'-1". I use the tall (or standard) version seat. I'm good for 200-miles (one tank of gas at reserve) between breaks. The interchangeable "R" model seat is 30MM (1.2") lower.

4) Lee and Darrell are very familiar with these bikes. Does this bike have a special blue paint job?

5) Grumpy Goat has a dedicated 1200RS website https://www.rswasserboxer.com/

Responses

1) No issues beyond the potential Limp mode experience of all LC Boxers.

2) 50-mpg is a good estimate for non-interstate travel. At interstate speeds and using a larger screen, your mileage will drop to 48-mpg or under

3) I'm 6'-1". I use the tall (or standard) version seat. I'm good for 200-miles (one tank of gas at reserve) between breaks. The interchangeable "R" model seat is 30MM (1.2") lower.

4) Lee and Darrell are very familiar with these bikes. Does this bike have a special blue paint job?

5) Grumpy Goat has a dedicated 1200RS website https://www.rswasserboxer.com/

Thanks for the link, all I know is it's Lupin blue. I believe it's a stock color.

Last month we took a trip to Colorado taking back roads in Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado and Kansas. Our speeds were in the 65 to 80 mph range.
My mileage for the trip was 53mpg and Debbie got 50mpg.

Last month we took a trip to Colorado taking back roads in Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado and Kansas. Our speeds were in the 65 to 80 mph range.
My mileage for the trip was 53mpg and Debbie got 50mpg.

That's incredible. Makes me happy to here with that 4.8 gallon tank [ which is a little less than my GS at 5.3 and averages 41-42mpg ].

Back