• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1995 R1100R heated grip help

abc123

Hello all

I’m trying to install factory heated grips on my R1100R. It’s a US model. The problem I’m having is finding the plugs for the grips. The one with the brown and black wires. There are 2 for each grip. I have found the white female plug for the switch but I can’t find the one for the grips.

Thanks

When I had my heated grips wired, 97 R1100RT, the shop was also doing a lot of work under the plastic anyway, the connections I’m told were under the gas tank and I needed an additional wire to make that work. I had already put the grips on the bike and attached the switch like you did. I also was surprised to not see the connector I needed for the grip wiring readily reachable. (I also, put in a new battery, installed a new choke cable, rerouted the throttle, put in new fuel lines in and out of the gas tank and a new fuel filter, attached a trickle charger lead to the battery. I’m 67 years old and don’t want to do much of the work myself anymore.)

Thanks a bunch. I think that’s what I’m going to have to. Sounds like an excuse to change the fuel filter early.

The Dealer did make a serious point that the fuel lines being that old were a risk. If your's are originals, it's a consideration. Note, on my bike there were lines INSIDE the gas tank and that is a place for stock parts as fuel is on the outside of the lines. And so far that BMW shop hasn't overcharged me. You might want to check into that while you're in there.

Small 4 pin connector under front edge of tank. Brown/ black conductors.
This 95 has aftermarket units that are currently unplugged in this picture

CA7B565C-569D-4F9C-AFB4-41EF9AA33F3D.jpeg

That’s a great tip. It’s a new to me bike so I don’t know a ton about it’s past. I’m planning on doing the fuel filter and lines most likely.

Back