• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First 600 miles

hive1969

Hello all,

I would like to share my opinion of my R 1250 RT having just completed the bikes first 600 miles running in.

The bike was purchased last year, but several factors negated the bike not being ridden.

Fast forward 2020 worldwide pandemic reduced my riding quantity. Anyway, just to get to the 600 mile mark, I have had a lot of short journeys, which have been used to fine tune the controls (adjust gear lever height etc) and I have a list of pro’s and con’s

Pros
1) how did I survive without the barn door? I’m 5’11 and with the screen in the full upright position, I’m looking over the windscreen. No ear plugs required.
2) In the high seat position, ergonomics is very good.
3) Brakes are stunning.
4) There are enough gadgets to keep me learning.
5) She has great road presence.
6) She can hustle. No complaints in the performance department ✅

Cons
9) I think the engine could be smoother.
10) The gear box is clunky.
11) She’s a big girl, and I struggle with low speed maneuvering,
12) No Sat Nav central locking as delivered.
13) The side rear view mirrors shake at high rpm’s making it difficult to see behind.
14) Speakers and usb connection not good at all.
15) Headlights need brighter bulbs or an LED upgrade.

I have a ton of parking lot U turns and slow speed riding to practice.

Kevin

I've got a 19 1250RT I bought in april and have thankfully been able to put 4500mi on and I agree with most assessments. The one thing I am puzzled by is the comment about the mirrors, I had an 18RT that I traded in for this bike and on both the mirrors were rock solid, seems curious and maybe see if anything is amiss?

I changed the headlight bulbs to cyclops Led bulbs and its a MASSIVE improvement in the brightness and I'll admit that having incandescent bulbs with the LED halo just irked me. I admit it I'm petty!

Hope you have the opportunity to do some more miles on the bike

Hello all,

I would like to share my opinion of my R 1250 RT having just completed the bikes first 600 miles running in.

The bike was purchased last year, but several factors negated the bike not being ridden.

Fast forward 2020 worldwide pandemic reduced my riding quantity. Anyway, just to get to the 600 mile mark, I have had a lot of short journeys, which have been used to fine tune the controls (adjust gear lever height etc) and I have a list of pro’s and con’s

Pros
1) how did I survive without the barn door? I’m 5’11 and with the screen in the full upright position, I’m looking over the windscreen. No ear plugs required.
2) In the high seat position, ergonomics is very good.
3) Brakes are stunning.
4) There are enough gadgets to keep me learning.
5) She has great road presence.
6) She can hustle. No complaints in the performance department ✅

Cons
9) I think the engine could be smoother.
10) The gear box is clunky.
11) She’s a big girl, and I struggle with low speed maneuvering,
12) No Sat Nav central locking as delivered.
13) The side rear view mirrors shake at high rpm’s making it difficult to see behind.
14) Speakers and usb connection not good at all.
15) Headlights need brighter bulbs or an LED upgrade.

I have a ton of parking lot U turns and slow speed riding to practice.

Kevin

What is your reference relative to engine smoothness? I would wait until your 6K service, then see how you feel.

The mirrors should be clear.

Pretty hard to compare the low frequency vibes from a twin to a inline or v4. Both vibrate, one is low frequency, the other high.

Mirrors shouldn't vibrate. Yes, the speakers are ok at best.

Could be a tuning problem if there are vibrations and mirror shakes. Check at service time.

Keep revs up ... will vibrate if you are near lugging.

Back