• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The 36654 Tax Thread

They are from the Federal government and exist to help you, do not worry, you can trust them. :rolleyes

I recommend keeping a bag containing clean underwear, your tooth brush and an ABA directory by your front door. Worry.

I mailed a copy of my 2019 Federal return on 10 September. On 14 September, USPS sent me an email confirming it was delivered. Today, 6 October, the IRS says they've recieved my tax return. Hopefully, in a few weeks, they'll start processing......

I mailed a copy of my 2019 Federal return on 10 September. On 14 September, USPS sent me an email confirming it was delivered. Today, 6 October, the IRS says they've recieved my tax return. Hopefully, in a few weeks, they'll start processing......

I administer a small Family Trust.
The tax return was completed and filed on July 12th, the check with the taxes due was mailed the same day.
In August I got greetings from the IRS telling me that I owed them $$ plus penalty and interest.
The CPA said wait, don't do anything until October.
My check has still not been cashed.
I called yesterday, the nice IRS Lady said give it three more weeks, the processing centers are still buried under piles of returns and checks.

I administer a small Family Trust.
The tax return was completed and filed on July 12th, the check with the taxes due was mailed the same day.
In August I got greetings from the IRS telling me that I owed them $$ plus penalty and interest.
The CPA said wait, don't do anything until October.
My check has still not been cashed.
I called yesterday, the nice IRS Lady said give it three more weeks, the processing centers are still buried under piles of returns and checks.

I mailed my original paper return in the first week of March, just in time for COVID-19 to shut down the processing centers. I'm not surprised it got lost in some facility deep clean. I was unable to reach an IRS human until late August, early September.

I mailed my original paper return

Paper return. huh?

I thought nearly everyone filed electronically now-a-days. Kind of like faxing.... I have not faxed anything in 20+ years.

Reminds me of when I bought this GS in 2015. The salesman said it's a new design for BMW; water cooled. huh?

What? Wait. What? I thought ALL street bikes within the last decade or longer were water cooled. Besides Harley of course.

Paper return. huh?

I thought nearly everyone filed electronically now-a-days. Kind of like faxing.... I have not faxed anything in 20+ years.

Reminds me of when I bought this GS in 2015. The salesman said it's a new design for BMW; water cooled. huh?

What? Wait. What? I thought ALL street bikes within the last decade or longer were water cooled. Besides Harley of course.

Paper was the only way I could do it for free. Paying to file my taxes just seems wrong. Whenever I can file electronically and for free, I do.

Paper was the only way I could do it for free. Paying to file my taxes just seems wrong. Whenever I can file electronically and for free, I do.

I have filed electronically since it was available when using personal tax software on your PC. I look at it that I'm paying for an enhanced service which gets me confirmation within hours or days that my return was accepted by my state and the IRS. It gives me proof of filing, and any refund comes much faster. I've never had a problem with an electronically filed return. Not yet, anyway. :brow

when using personal tax software on your PC.

I'm not going to pay for software that does what I've been doing since I was 16.......

If it's free, that's another story. In PA, we've been able to file of our state income taxes for free for more than a decade.

In Brazil and several other countries you have to buy your tax forms at a stationary store. :)

I'm not going to pay for software that does what I've been doing since I was 16.......

If it's free, that's another story. In PA, we've been able to file of our state income taxes for free for more than a decade.

You are a better man than I, Gunga Din! I hate doing my taxes and have had some complicated years with side businesses, so found my happy place by using software.

You are a better man than I, Gunga Din! I hate doing my taxes and have had some complicated years with side businesses, so found my happy place by using software.

When you get into reporting business revenue/losses, that's a more challenging situation.

Back in the day, I had a junior employee with a CPA spouse. Being that they were in the "family" years, the CPA worked part-time doing income tax prep for one of the HR Block/Jackson-Hewitt type places. A very, very large number of her clients were people that could file for free or not even file. Even when told and shown how, the clients insisted on paying her for a service they could do themselves.

When you get into reporting business revenue/losses, that's a more challenging situation.

Back in the day, I had a junior employee with a CPA spouse. Being that they were in the "family" years, the CPA worked part-time doing income tax prep for one of the HR Block/Jackson-Hewitt type places. A very, very large number of her clients were people that could file for free or not even file. Even when told and shown how, the clients insisted on paying her for a service they could do themselves.

Fear of the IRS, perhaps?

Fear of the IRS, perhaps?

Nothing that dark; the people who’d need to fear the IRS already have their internal accountants at work “in the kitchen”. A co-worker used to do taxes for H&R Block and commented many times that people who hired him to do their quickie returns—with either little to file or no need to do so—often did so for reasons outside the tax realm. Establishing residency, avoiding future questions or problems with other public services or programs, etc. etc.

That’s not saying the small filers have no reason to look askance at the IRS. One article I read recently pointed out that it’s the small-to-medium taxpayers who are most frequently audited, mostly because the IRS is underfunded to the extent they lack the resources to go after the upper end of the scale. Attorney fees, court-related expenses, and direct expenses of the audit research and process are out of reach of the current IRS budget.

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
Nothing that dark; the people who’d need to fear the IRS already have their internal accountants at work “in the kitchen”. A co-worker used to do taxes for H&R Block and commented many times that people who hired him to do their quickie returns—with either little to file or no need to do so—often did so for reasons outside the tax realm. Establishing residency, avoiding future questions or problems with other public services or programs, etc. etc.

Thanks not saying the small filers have no reason to look askance at the IRS. One article I read recently pointed out that it’s the small-to-medium taxpayers who are most frequently audited, mostly because the IRS is underfunded to the extent they lack the resources to go after the upper end of the scale. Attorney fees, court-related expenses, and direct expenses of the audit research and process are out of reach of the current IRS budget.

Best,
DeVern

It's simpler than that. A large number of people are just scared of filling out a form. Of course, at the completion of my 86-year old Aunt's return, I always remind her that I do her taxes on the basis that they don't send old people to prison.

Relative to the audits, that is simply obscene.

TurboTax. Way cheaper than an accountant and will handle investment income like stock trades, dividends, etc. with a couple of mouse clicks. No, it's not free, but just try having an account handle things like stock trades; now that is far from free. And it will handle e-filing Federal and State returns.

Harry

TurboTax. Way cheaper than an accountant and will handle investment income like stock trades, dividends, etc. with a couple of mouse clicks. No, it's not free, but just try having an account handle things like stock trades; now that is far from free. And it will handle e-filing Federal and State returns.

Harry

Up to an income limit, the on-line version of TurboTax is free and handles Fed and state taxes. It's nice software, I just hate answering all the questions that don't apply to me.

As long as your brokerage is sending out 1099-B forms, there's no reason to pay an accountant to retype that info on to a Schedule D...

Up to an income limit, the on-line version of TurboTax is free and handles Fed and state taxes. It's nice software, I just hate answering all the questions that don't apply to me.

As long as your brokerage is sending out 1099-B forms, there's no reason to pay an accountant to retype that info on to a Schedule D...

With the Premium version of TurboTax, it will vacuum up all your trading account information with a mouse click and fill out the necessary tax forms. Occasionally it will ask you some questions regarding that information. I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for a valuable service, which is what TurboTax provides.

Harry

Paper was the only way I could do it for free. Paying to file my taxes just seems wrong. Whenever I can file electronically and for free, I do.[/QU
Free??? :banghead I do a joint return for $80 with a CPA [ I THINK THIS IS RESPECTABLE] for 1 hour of her time.

Now how was it that an Aerostich thread got to a Tax thread? I know their suits give good protection, but I think that sliding by the IRS would need more armor than even a Roadcrafter could provide.

Back