• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011 R1200RT: Heated grips too hot on high setting/

westcoastkevin

Hello,
I have a 2011 R1200RT: The temperatures are dropping here with winter approaching.I have been using the heated grips.

I think the heated grips too hot on high setting. They are hot enough that they are hard to touch without gloves. With leather gloves, they really get hot on the palms of my hands. It is a little annoying changing from low to hi to low.

The question is:
Is there any adjustment to this?
OR
Is there any modification I can do, perhaps with a resistor somewhere?

Regards,
Kevin

I use High to get them warmed up then switch to medium. It stays almost too hot on medium but overall it's OK and I just turn it on and off periodically as needed. Note that I also have Grip Puppies installed and even with those it gets too hot to hold on high.

That's why they have a low setting. You will someday have conditions that make you wish you could make them hotter.

Good luck.

You have grips that people generally lust for. :)

Rather than modding the bike I’d suggest installing Grip Puppies and switch to gloves with some insulation in the palms. The Grip Puppies will reduce heat transmission a bit and the added diameter is easier to use with winter gloves, and the GPs can be easily removed in the spring.

As a side note... years ago I had a K100RS with grips that really put out heat. During an ERC course in the rain with grips on high, wisps of vapor would rise from the grips when exposed to the rain. Both instructors took to grabbing my grips whenever I stopped by them for a consultation. :)
I miss those grips!

DeVern

Same problem on 2016 R12GS/Home Depot fix

I have the same problem on 2916 R1200GS, but even on "low" they get too hot. I only have two settings "Low" and "hight." My riding buddy's 2016 RT has 5 heat seatings--I am jealous. I went to Home Depot and bought some ribbon insulation and wrapped the grips with that. Helps, but still gets too hot so I still end up switching it "on" and "off" repeatedly. Annoying for sure, but lots better than no grips at all.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-K...M-Medium-Gap-Weatherseal-Tape-V25WA/100017014

I wrapped the ends of the tape with nylon ties to keep it secure. I don't know

I don't know about the RT, but the Owner's Manual for my '14 R1200GSAdv says to use Hi to warm up the grips and then switch Low for continued use.
You have grips that people generally lust for.
Throw me in that Briar Patch!
My'14 has the weakest heated grips I've ever had.
I am aware of the improvements to the system starting in '15 but at almost $599 per grip it isn't worth it to me.

I already own a pair of heated gloves that work just fine.

Anyone have any idea how many amps the heated grips use? Perhaps buy a panel mount heat controller for a heated jacket and mount it on the bike and wire it into the grips circuit?

If you read in the manual, it says the "high" level is only to be used for getting the grips up to temp when it's cold out and then it should be switched back to low. My wife used them in the high mode a lot and the grips decayed and melted a lot faster than mine over about a year.

Upside, if you're looking for things to put on your grips as a thinner cover (Grip Puppies are too thick for my preference), I use fishing rod heat shrink wrap that works quite well. You can get it on ebay super cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332177244597. I think I got the 40mm.

Just cut it to fit and use a heat gun. Takes 5 minutes. You can do multiple layers if you want it thicker.

i-Gp3p2sK-X2.jpg

If you read in the manual, it says the "high" level is only to be used for getting the grips up to temp when it's cold out and then it should be switched back to low. My wife used them in the high mode a lot and the grips decayed and melted a lot faster than mine over about a year.

There has been plenty of times we left the grips on high for most of the day and never had any of the grips wear out.
We have owned 10 or 11 BMW bikes with heated grips. Can't remember if the 84 R100RT had heated grips.
Never had any of the grips get too hot, but most of our bikes did not have hand protection.

Back