• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

F750GS Turning Off ABS

jbtex

Looking through the manual for the F750GS, it seems that the "Enduro" mode does not fully disable the ABS, just "tone it down" in how aggressive it is. I could be wrong, but that's what I am reading into how the manual describes the mode.

Leads me to this question: Disabling ABS altogether, is that only possible by holding the "ABS" switch every time the bike is turned on?

Seems that we should have the option to fully turn it off and persist that setting. I'm sure I'm overlooking something. Thoughts?

Looking through the manual for the F750GS, it seems that the "Enduro" mode does not fully disable the ABS, just "tone it down" in how aggressive it is. I could be wrong, but that's what I am reading into how the manual describes the mode.

Leads me to this question: Disabling ABS altogether, is that only possible by holding the "ABS" switch every time the bike is turned on?

Seems that we should have the option to fully turn it off and persist that setting. I'm sure I'm overlooking something. Thoughts?

In truth I don't know. But I suspect that BMW does not allow a persistent disable on safety grounds. I suspect that the system is designed so if you want it "off" (if that is possible) you need to deliberately turn it off each and every time you want it off. That way, after a crash, the rider can't say, Ah, gee, I didn't know it was off."

ABS is a safety feature. Like the rear proximity alarm on a car, it can be turned off if a situation requires it. Disabling safety features is an owner’s choice kinda deal.
OM

In truth I don't know. But I suspect that BMW does not allow a persistent disable on safety grounds. I suspect that the system is designed so if you want it "off" (if that is possible) you need to deliberately turn it off each and every time you want it off. That way, after a crash, the rider can't say, Ah, gee, I didn't know it was off."

I'm sure you're right in terms of what BMW wants to avoid here. I would have expected that switching to Enduro mode that ABS can be completely defeated, which results essentially in the same concept of saying "You had it in Enduro mode and we make it clear that ABS is not available in Enduro mode, unless you specifically turn it on." :)

I'm German and can completely see how they could reason it out that way, but if you are correct, they chose to go the other way.

What is weird is that the manual is so vague about it, stating it in a way where ABS is still somewhat part of the equation in Enduro mode, unless you purposefully disable it with the button.

ABS is a safety feature. Like the rear proximity alarm on a car, it can be turned off if a situation requires it. Disabling safety features is an owner’s choice kinda deal.
OM

I get that and I am glad that we have ABS on the bikes, for street riding that is.

I just came off the excellent two-day DART training with Bill Dragoo. I had to turn the ABS constantly off after starting up the bike. It became annoying after a while and thus the original question.

Seems that the 1200GS and 1250GS series has some additional options that make the setting persistent. Found a few references to how those modes work on those bikes.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/enduro-and-enduro-pro-modes-in-the-nether-world.1288662/
https://www.gatewayriders.com/ever-wonder-what-the-rider-modes-due-on-a-gs/

There's a nice chart on the ADVrider thread. The user posting it seems to be riding a 1200GS, so some of it may not apply to the 750GS.

It looks like what BMW has labeled "Enduro" is designed to tone down the ABS effectiveness when riding loose gravel with street tires.

Back