• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Exhaust fitment/fail

mhines

Hi there - new member, first post. I have seen a great deal of discussion on exhausts for r1100s but can't find anything on this specifically...

Recently purchased 2001 example. Very clean - just rolled 18k - almost entirely stock, except: previous owner swapped out the cat for crossover/cat delete [manu unknown but he had plenty of scratch so not thinking it was a cheapo; I am third owner and guy I bought it from didn't have a ton of details]. Has the signature lag at 4800 rpm which I know means it needs a tune; also, pig on fuel. None of this is surprising and plenty on here about troubleshooting... I'll prolly take it in next Spring and ask a real mech to tune it up - perhaps someone can make additional recommendations on here although I know there's a lot been written and said [Powercommander?]. [sidenote - Boston resident. Previous mixed bag with GBM etc. / is Max BMW the better bet??]

My big issue is that last weekend during a very low key ride the exhaust completely backed off. Thankfully I was going like 15mph and merely pulled over and got it back on without a lot of hassle. Though, of course now I am sweating it... visions of it backing off and wedging itself between the rear wheel and the bike... it was a tenuous ride home. I really can't believe there's only the one cuff and not a hanger or something to ensure more stability [though, vibes, I know]...

Anyhow - has anyone else had this issue? Am I a torque wrench and some loctite away from not needing to worry... OR [as I fear] is there a deeper concern about fitment? Should I just put the OEM piece/cat back on?

I know there's a lot of wiggle room for opinions in here but I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Am I a torque wrench and some loctite away from not needing to worry... OR [as I fear] is there a deeper concern about fitment? Should I just put the OEM piece/cat back on?
Thanks in advance.

If that were my bike I would put the original exhaust system back on the bike.

Pictures please

Someone may be able to identify the exhaust system and advise if it might be missing a piece like a hanger. I have a Laser "Sport" exhaust (track use only) on my BCR. It has a very unique exhaust hanger setup right in front of the rear tire.

Post pictures on the Pelican parts forum for the 1100S
Lots of knowledgeable inmates there as well.

After all that...

Turns out it is the Danmoto midpipe... I think it is on there pretty solid for now, but, might pursue some of the additive measures people have detailed on Pelican Forum... do not want this thing falling off at the wrong time!

There's a small "arm" which comes off the bottom of the Danmoto pipe and bolts to one of the original rubber exhaust mounts. I've seen these pipes with a broken arm and with a broken exhaust mount. Make sure yours has neither. :thumb

Turns out it is the Danmoto midpipe... I think it is on there pretty solid for now, but, might pursue some of the additive measures people have detailed on Pelican Forum... do not want this thing falling off at the wrong time!

When it comes to risk, Bob Hidden would often refer to a "bus full of nuns" in the context of being sued if a person caused an accident and the nuns all were injured or died. As in the case of "my muffler fell off and the bus behind me hit it and blew a tire and lost control and went over the 1,000 foot cliff into the ocean."

There are a few clamps available for where the pipes meet and some welding options.

If you think that is the issue, post again what you think is happening and I will give you the clamping/welding options.

Back