• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Repair manuals

Robsandy5011

Previously bought an ‘04 r1150r and was able to pick up a Clymer manual at the same time. Just bought a r1250rs and don’t see availability for a manual. Are they not producing manuals for the 1250’s or is it likely in the near future to be able to pick up a Clymer or Haynes. Thanks in advance

Found it on MaxBMW's site...so any dealer can get you a repair manual. Part number is 01 59 9 467 581...nearly $120 but it is a DVD for use on a PC...not a Mac.

Service CD or DVD from BMW is always the first choice. It's the same information used by dealer techs.

Not certain regarding motorcycles as opposed to cars, but in USA manufacturer is required to make factory service information available to all ... mostly this is about independent repair shops, i.e. no secrets.

I know for BMW cars this is an online subscription, not aware of similar for bikes and perhaps the DVDs meet the motorcycle requirement if there is one.

I do Mercedes and their subscription is $2000+ for a year or $65 for 24 hours (also some intermediate time periods). $65 is obviously less than any professional hourly rate, so usually worth it.

In this realm nothing is in print unless you print it yourself from your computer. Not certain it's possible to print from latest BMW DVDs. Latest BMW DVDs are online updateable.

Not certain it's possible to print from latest BMW DVDs. Latest BMW DVDs are online updateable.

I printed sections I thought I would need from my BMW Wethead DVD and did the same when I had the K1300S DVD.

I use the BMW service DVDs for our bikes too. Last bike I owned that an independent service manual I'm aware of was my 94 R1100RS. I had one for it (don't recall if it was Haynes or Clymer) and was constantly annoyed with its over simplicity. Too much basic information and not enough technical data for my needs. Many more complex components were glossed over as being outside the scope of the average home mechanic. I finally got the factory manual which for it was a PDF format and was much happier using it.

I also print off sections from the DVDs to use in the shop. Makes it easier than going to the DVD everytime for routinely used sections.

If you open up a section of the manual for the repair or service you wish to perform, there is a list of the steps to prepare for that task. Most of those steps are linked to more detailed descriptions of the step, such as the removal of panels and such, if you need to review it. You can select the link and an expanded description will appear. It works quite nicely since you don't need to wade through tons of steps if you are familiar with them or can manage them without the directions.

Having written maintenance manuals for USA nuclear weapons and auxiliary equipment, I'd note that manuals are written as aids for folks that are already trained mechanics.

There are no "for dummies" maintenance manuals for BMWs. Some folks volunteer to produce You Tube videos which vary in quality of course.

Your best bet is to be a member of your local BMW club and to prevail on someone there that has already done what you propose to do. In my club you'd be likely to be invited over to a member's garage where there is a lift and all the tools you could imagine. You'd be especially lucky if a member is a trained engineer ... your head might spin observing how one of these guys/gals can so quickly comprehend the task at hand. They like manuals ... they talk their language.

The notion that it can be obvious what to do simply by looking at it is a fool's game. Most of the time when you see someone that can just dive in, it's because they've done it before and and at least once followed the manual.

Finally, understand that with German vehicles the last thing considered in their design is whether the novice DIY person can easily maintain them. Trained professional technicians is the assumption. Germany never had Model Ts that everyone could afford and could maintain with baling wire. Apples/oranges cultures.

Germany never had Model Ts that everyone could afford and could maintain with baling wire.

They were not called Model Ts. They were called Volkswagen Bugs or Beetles. And they were designed and intended to be user friendly, and easily repairable.

They were not called Model Ts. They were called Volkswagen Bugs or Beetles. And they were designed and intended to be user friendly, and easily repairable.

This was 30+ years after the Model T and hardly any reached the public prior to the war.

Previously bought an ‘04 r1150r and was able to pick up a Clymer manual at the same time. Just bought a r1250rs and don’t see availability for a manual. Are they not producing manuals for the 1250’s or is it likely in the near future to be able to pick up a Clymer or Haynes. Thanks in advance

I was able to find a Haynes for the 2013+ R1200 wethead, so it may just take a little time for it to become available.

I use the BMW service DVDs for our bikes too. Last bike I owned that an independent service manual I'm aware of was my 94 R1100RS. I had one for it (don't recall if it was Haynes or Clymer) and was constantly annoyed with its over simplicity. Too much basic information and not enough technical data for my needs. Many more complex components were glossed over as being outside the scope of the average home mechanic. I finally got the factory manual which for it was a PDF format and was much happier using it.

I also print off sections from the DVDs to use in the shop. Makes it easier than going to the DVD everytime for routinely used sections.

I also found this to be the case. I really don't like the DVD format because I would rather it be a hard copy with me in the shop while doing the work.

Back