• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Scratches

pbryant018

I did something stupid. I was putting gas in my 2016 R1200RT and got a couple spots of gas on the dark red paint. I grabbed the first thing I saw, some of those brown paper towels you see by the window squeegees, and wiped the gas spots up. In doing so I left some scratches on the paint. This bike looks brand new despite being 4 years old. Any suggestions on products to buff out the scratches, or is this something I will have to live with?l

Mother's Scratch Remover always works for me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 7.53.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 7.53.59 AM.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 239
Paint correction

I recently researched this for a car. After some digging around, I found this system called "Dr Color Chip" that has a series of instructional videos to accompany their wide range of correction products.

The main point they make is that our bikes, and our cars, have multiple layers of coatings. And some arbitrary scratch can be to a depth that penetrates multiple layers. This system gives you a way to fill the scratches with matching paint, and then wipe the gross excess off, and then further chemically smooth the surface, and finally apply clear coating. It is a comprehensive system that can correct scratches of varying depth so that they are hard to see. It is an alternative to complete repainting for high-end vehicles like our motos.

Although it is not ridiculously expensive, it still probably makes more economic sense for a car than a motorcycle because, unlike a car, the bodywork of our motorcycles is composed of lots of small pieces that can easily be removed and completely repainted. Still, it is cheaper than I recently paid for painting pieces on my moto, which averaged about $50 per piece plus the cost of coatings. For my moto, I paid about $300 for small quantities of 3 colors of paint plus clear, and then had about 14 pieces painted. If I had a few scratches in a single color, the Dr Color Chip kit would be a lot less expensive.

You will need to know your paint code to order. I bought some, and received my kit within a week from the USA.

cap

I would think any scratch 'created' by a paper towel will easily buff out with wax or clear coat safe polishing compound.

I would suggest just riding it until you don’t notice the scratch. Land is a better investment.

I did something stupid. I was putting gas in my 2016 R1200RT and got a couple spots of gas on the dark red paint. I grabbed the first thing I saw, some of those brown paper towels you see by the window squeegees, and wiped the gas spots up. In doing so I left some scratches on the paint. This bike looks brand new despite being 4 years old. Any suggestions on products to buff out the scratches, or is this something I will have to live with?l

Not a big deal. Buff it out. Google / Youtube is your friend. Or we could say..."your bike is ruined! Sell it cheap (to me?) and get a new one".

My guess is the scratches are just in the wax. Use a wax remover and reapply a good wax and I bet they are gone. I would hate to think a paper towel will actually scratch BMW clearcoat.

Back