• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

When will we start seeing R18 After Market accessories.

Wow! Thanks for adding to my/our vocabulary.

View attachment 81085

I wonder what the etymology of "janky" might be?

The word's origin is murky; the more comprehensive Oxford English Dictionary says it's “probably” a regional, affected, or colloquial pronunciation of junky. Juba to Jive: A Dictionary of African-American Slang, published in 1994, classifies it as a noun meaning “bad luck,” and says it's “probably” a variant of jinxed.Jul 27, 2015

Word of the Week: Janky - Fritinancy

Janky first emerged in black slang in the 1990s, featured in rap songs as early as Ice Cube's 1993 “Really Doe”: “Hard to swallow, janky as Rollo / Count to ten, and don't try to follow.” Rollo may be a reference to Rollo Lawson, a recurring character on the 1970s sitcom Sanford and Son, who had a seedy reputation on ...

janky | Dictionary.com

I did install a universal "Chinese" windscreen temporarily and it actually looks pretty good even though the mounting system is a bit janky. It's a temporary $47.00 fix. Eighty MPH on the freeway on this beast with no windscreen is painful!

Is it possible to move it forward and down, so that the cutout encircles the headlight as designed? Or does that reduce the use of it for your needs?

Is it possible to move it forward and down, so that the cutout encircles the headlight as designed? Or does that reduce the use of it for your needs?

Not really. Like I said it's temporary, but it does cut down the wind blast to my chest and head. From the riders line of sight it doesn't cut off the speedo view at all.

For anyone who's interested in the same "fix" here is a link. Make sure the fasteners and really tight or the wind will push it all over the place.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Windscreen-Windshield-Sportster-Boulevard/dp/B0192KKYAY

For comparison here is a screen shot of the BMW OEM windscreen.

Attachments

• R18_Motorad_Windscreen.jpg
    R18_Motorad_Windscreen.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I am curious what specific aftermarket items owners are interested in. What features of the R18 do owners believe will be improved with aftermarket items? What items are lacking in the OEM configuration of the motorcycle?

As a cruiser owner there are typical accessories that are bought by many and BMW show as accessories plus a couple of others :

Bags with mounting hardware
Windscreen
Touring Seat or other sets options
Additional lighting in the front mainly two light system
Passenger back rest
Passenger peg change or floor boards

These make the bike more functional and friendlier to ride.

These have to be available. I know BMW is coming out with a model that has all this in February. I guess this is the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a cruiser owner there are typical accessories that are bought by many and BMW show as accessories plus a couple of others :

Bags with mounting hardware
Windscreen
Touring Seat or other sets options
Additional lighting in the front mainly two light system
Passenger back rest
Passenger peg change or floor boards

These make the bike more functional and friendlier to ride.

These have to be available. I know BMW is coming out with a model that has all this in February. I guess this is the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. That is also typical of many touring and even adventure motorcycles. Seats and windshields anyone??? :)

On my K75RTP I can display 5 forward lights if needed. :)

Back