Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When will we start seeing R18 After Market accessories.

Arrow

Those are reputed pounds, indeed, and kinda moot at this point. The Panamerica is not likely to see the light of the showroom, as the new H-D CEO has stopped development on outreach models and is going all-in on the traditional cruiser lines geared toward the traditional H-D rider. Time will tell whether that’s a successful redirect for the company.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Can we try to stay on topic?

I am curious what specific aftermarket items owners are interested in. What features of the R18 do owners believe will be improved with aftermarket items? What items are lacking in the OEM configuration of the motorcycle?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I'm wanting a better seat. I've contacted Corbin and they are currently prototyping one. I'm also hoping Sargent comes out with one. I have their touring seat on my GSA and love it. Also, I'm waiting for the windscreen to become available, but looking at the crazy European pricing, I'm not sure I'm willing to drop that much cash on a windscreen/running light combo.

I did install a universal "Chinese" windscreen temporarily and it actually looks pretty good even though the mounting system is a bit janky. It's a temporary $47.00 fix. Eighty MPH on the freeway on this beast with no windscreen is painful!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by enzo500 View Post

I did install a universal "Chinese" windscreen temporarily and it actually looks pretty good even though the mounting system is a bit janky. It's a temporary $47.00 fix. Eighty MPH on the freeway on this beast with no windscreen is painful!
    Wow! Thanks for adding to my/our vocabulary.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 1.26.27 PM.png

I wonder what the etymology of "janky" might be?
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Wow! Thanks for adding to my/our vocabulary.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 1.26.27 PM.png

I wonder what the etymology of "janky" might be?
    The word's origin is murky; the more comprehensive Oxford English Dictionary says it's “probably” a regional, affected, or colloquial pronunciation of junky. Juba to Jive: A Dictionary of African-American Slang, published in 1994, classifies it as a noun meaning “bad luck,” and says it's “probably” a variant of jinxed.Jul 27, 2015

Word of the Week: Janky - Fritinancy

Janky first emerged in black slang in the 1990s, featured in rap songs as early as Ice Cube's 1993 “Really Doe”: “Hard to swallow, janky as Rollo / Count to ten, and don't try to follow.” Rollo may be a reference to Rollo Lawson, a recurring character on the 1970s sitcom Sanford and Son, who had a seedy reputation on ...

janky | Dictionary.com
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by enzo500 View Post
    Is it possible to move it forward and down, so that the cutout encircles the headlight as designed? Or does that reduce the use of it for your needs?

Quote Originally Posted by r0ckrat View Post
    Is it possible to move it forward and down, so that the cutout encircles the headlight as designed? Or does that reduce the use of it for your needs?
    Not really. Like I said it's temporary, but it does cut down the wind blast to my chest and head. From the riders line of sight it doesn't cut off the speedo view at all.

For anyone who's interested in the same "fix" here is a link. Make sure the fasteners and really tight or the wind will push it all over the place.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Wi.../dp/B0192KKYAY

For comparison here is a screen shot of the BMW OEM windscreen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by enzo500; 11-12-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I am curious what specific aftermarket items owners are interested in. What features of the R18 do owners believe will be improved with aftermarket items? What items are lacking in the OEM configuration of the motorcycle?
    As a cruiser owner there are typical accessories that are bought by many and BMW show as accessories plus a couple of others :

Bags with mounting hardware
    Windscreen
    Touring Seat or other sets options
    Additional lighting in the front mainly two light system
    Passenger back rest
    Passenger peg change or floor boards

These make the bike more functional and friendlier to ride.

These have to be available. I know BMW is coming out with a model that has all this in February. I guess this is the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by michelfg View Post
    As a cruiser owner there are typical accessories that are bought by many and BMW show as accessories plus a couple of others :

Bags with mounting hardware
    Windscreen
    Touring Seat or other sets options
    Additional lighting in the front mainly two light system
    Passenger back rest
    Passenger peg change or floor boards

These make the bike more functional and friendlier to ride.

These have to be available. I know BMW is coming out with a model that has all this in February. I guess this is the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks. That is also typical of many touring and even adventure motorcycles. Seats and windshields anyone???

On my K75RTP I can display 5 forward lights if needed.