• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2018 R1200RT with intermittent check engine light

Before you spend $$ on parts have the dealer check and update firmware version on the ICU and any other modules that have updates available.
Best,
DeVern

Thanks GTRider. All updates get done my dealer whenever the bike is serviced, so they are all up to date.

I got the RT back from the South Aussie Dealer today. They hooked up the bike to the computer and linked it to the techs at BMW Germany, and here's the result....

"Reported to BMW (Germany) on TSARA case no 6xxxx5. Performed DME (Computer) pin clean as per tech info supplied by BMW - Please monitor and advise"

The service manager said that BMW have advised that the DME pin clean has had some success in resolving the Limp Mode / RH throttle body issue that I have experienced. The pin clean required a special cleaning tool/solution which had to come from interstate, and was to be undertaken with EXTREME care as the computer is trashed if a pin gets bent. If this does not resolve the issue they will change the throttle body under warranty, and I'm pleased that BMW Germany seem to be onto this and are working to solve the problem, at no cost to me.

Throttle Bodies - Check

I'm with the reply that Throttle bodies might be the issue. I had a friend with a 2015 RT that had the same issue you had and the dealer diagnosed it to be a sticky throttle body. Swapped one for the other to make sure that was correct and sure enough it was. A good clean and re-grease of the throttle body solved the issue. BMW uses a special grease for lubrication. Clean with brake cleaner. This is the only model that I have heard have this issue ?

Check engine light/Limp Mode

2017 R1200RT Have had the same thing happen (check engine light/Limp Mode) 3-4 times while not moving, once attempting to U turn and most recently while traveling at around 60 mph through a curve. I called the dealer where I last had the bike serviced (18K) about a month prior and describe the problem and asked if there were any recalls or service bulletins on the issue. They said they weren't aware of any and that when they plugged the bike into their diagnostic computer when they performed the service if there were any faults detected or system updates required they would have had to perform them to complete the service. I called BMW Motorrad USA and they checked the VIN # and found no open recalls and recommended that I contact an authorized dealer for any issues I was having with the bike. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA. It seems that this problem is occurring on a few years (2015-2018)? of R1200RT and GS models.

R1200 RT Throttle Bodies

My friend had this issue and was several years in hopefully getting it fixed. The dealer was very good and swapped the throttle bodies around to make sure that is what it was. In end they determined that the throttle body was dirty, they cleaned it and applied grease to the cable mechanism and she has had no issues for a year ? So far so good.

Back