• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2018 R1200RT with intermittent check engine light

Scarletswirl

DISCLAIMER: I am an airhead guy. I only bought the 1200RT because a slick salesman convinced me to test ride it and I wanted to give myself a retirement gift.

The problem. At seemingly random intervals, my check engine light comes on and the engine goes into limp home mode. Usually if I just turn it off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on, it goes away...only to come back again at some other time. I took the bike to a reputable dealer, who told me it was something to do with the throttle control sensor thinking there was a non-existing or intermittent malfunction. However, since the problem did not manifest itself in front of his eyes, he couldn't do anything since he didn't find anything wrong. (The old 'intermittent problem' justification). Lo and behold, it happened again. And again.
Typical circumstances in which it happens are that I'm going slow and making use of the friction zone and/or rear brake. For example, during an intermediate rider skill class it just kept coming on almost (but not quite) to the point of being predictable. I believe that temperature also has something to do with it because if the bike is left in the sun, sometimes it will come on upon startup. At highway speeds, I never had it come on...yet.

Has anyone seen this before? Besides going back to the same dealer who is likely to give me the same answer, is there anything else I can try? Keep in mind that the only other dealer in the area is not specialized in BMWs (sells six or seven different brands) and does not have the same reputation for service, so I'm hesitant to try that route.

Thanks,
Marc

Better define "reputable dealer". Did he hook up the computer and check for codes? Did he install a software update?

I'e have similar issues with my 2016 RT. All software updates have been installed and the code for the fault comes up as right side throttle body is not properly synchronized with the left. Stopping the bike will reset the limp mode and she's good again. This has occured about eight times in the last year or so, and under a variety of riding conditions, and my greatest fear is that it will occur when overtaking and I'll loose all power. It seems to occur in clusters, with three occurrances in one day, and then nothing for months. The bike is under warranty (just) and my dealer (Biggest BMW dealer in South Australia) is looking for a response from BMW Germany over how to manage the problem.

I just had a 12k service done on my 2018 GS. I had the dealership do it for two reasons—an inspection of the cam lobes and a red “engine controller failure” alert that appeared 4 different times on the TFT. Each time the bike went into “limp home” mode, refusing to go above 3k RPM or so, with what seemed a major disconnect of the throttle. The codes I read with my GS-911 before taking in the bike referenced an issue with the left TB being out of synch with the right, and beyond the range acceptable to the ECU.

The bike was serviced, cam lobes pronounced OK, and numerous flash updates were applied to the ECU and various modules on the bike. Technician’s notes on the work order indicated that one of the fixes in the ECU flash was to raise the allowable variation between left and right TBs so as to avoid the fault and limp home mode.

I haven’t put miles on the bike since the service so can’t confirm the success or failure of the fix, but I’d suggest you get your bike to a reputable dealer to have the codes read and any recommended updates applied. If your closest dealer doesn’t have a competent BMW-certified tech on staff it may be worth looking to another dealer for the service.

Good luck,
DeVern

Last edited:
Yes, the dealer tech did hook up a diagnostic tool and determined that the throttle position error was the cause. Don't remember whether ECU was updated, I suspect yes, but that doesn't mean the latest software at the time fixed this particular issue.
My occurrences are very similar to the ones mentioned by others on this thread. Nothing for days, then 3-4 occurrences in a short period, then nothing again for days. As I said, I believe slow riding and possibly some thermal effect are involved, but that's not to say the exact conditions can be consistently replicated.
Very frustrating!

BMW Technicians

FWIW, there are three levels of certification for BMW technicians. My closest multi-brand BMW dealer has only one BMW tech and he has only completed level one. (He was scheduled for level two when COVID hit and the class was postponed.) He's very good and perfectly capable of performing scheduled service, firmware updates, etc., but riders in this area look forward to the addition of another tech and their acquisition of the higher certification levels. By contrast, the next closest, BMW-only boutique franchise has several techs, most with at least two of the certifications.

Having been through the limp mode woes on my 2016 (that I no longer have), I feel your pain. I had mine go into limp mode up in Washington on a 2000 mile trip. The local dealer updated the software and said that usually fixes it. It continued to sporadically go in into limp mode and pop back out of it with just a restart of the bike.

The bike was totaled (by a renter) so I never got to see it through, but my research had led me to suspect the connector of the throttle sensor as I'd read stories of it being loose or having an intermittently bad connection which caused the limp modes. Hope that helps.

Having been through the limp mode woes on my 2016 (that I no longer have), I feel your pain. I had mine go into limp mode up in Washington on a 2000 mile trip. The local dealer updated the software and said that usually fixes it. It continued to sporadically go in into limp mode and pop back out of it with just a restart of the bike.

The bike was totaled (by a renter) so I never got to see it through, but my research had led me to suspect the connector of the throttle sensor as I'd read stories of it being loose or having an intermittently bad connection which caused the limp modes. Hope that helps.

Going into limp mode in traffic is a distinct safety hazard. Every owner who has had this happen even once should file a report with the NHTSA. There needs to be a recall to fix this nonsense.

Yes, the dealer tech did hook up a diagnostic tool and determined that the throttle position error was the cause. Don't remember whether ECU was updated, I suspect yes, but that doesn't mean the latest software at the time fixed this particular issue.
My occurrences are very similar to the ones mentioned by others on this thread. Nothing for days, then 3-4 occurrences in a short period, then nothing again for days. As I said, I believe slow riding and possibly some thermal effect are involved, but that's not to say the exact conditions can be consistently replicated.
Very frustrating!

My 2016 RS never had an issue until after the 18K service this Spring. I had several limp mode events, bought an ECU code reader and learned that several throttle position errors were logged. I checked all connections and everything looked good. According to my dealer, BMW quit doing throttle replacements under warranty and now relies on software upgrades. I'm around 4K since the software upgrade and no limp mode. Fingers crossed.

In many of these limp mode cases, the dealer can't find a defective sensor or connection. That leads me to "theorize" that the software is adaptive (i.e., it learns) and eventually gathers enough bad info to force the ECU out of bounds. As I say, that's my theory and I have zero credentials to offer in support of that statement.

According to my dealer, BMW quit doing throttle replacements under warranty and now relies on software upgrades. ... In many of these limp mode cases, the dealer can't find a defective sensor or connection. That leads me to "theorize" that the software is adaptive (i.e., it learns) and eventually gathers enough bad info to force the ECU out of bounds.

When my 2017 GSA was in for annual service, the tech did the update of firmware/software (?) and part of the procedure was twisting the throttle through its entire range to re-teach the bike throttle position. That would seem to support your theory about "adaptive" learning.

Going into limp mode in traffic is a distinct safety hazard. Every owner who has had this happen even once should file a report with the NHTSA. There needs to be a recall to fix this nonsense.

Paul is right, this is absolutely the correct approach to take. A cosmetic problem is one thing but this is a safety hazard and BMW needs to investigate and resolve. If enough people have this problem and complain they will be forced to recall and address it, as they should. God forbid if someone has an accident or worse because of this problem.

Yikes! Went for a day ride today and a hundred miles from home, fortunately on a deserted country stretch of 2-lane roadway, my bike once again flashed the error message on the TFT and went into "limp home" mode. That's a misnomer, for sure--when the bike drops into this mode it won't get out of it's own way. If this ever happens when I'm in I-15 rush hour in anything but the two outside lanes, I'm toast. And this behavior is all new--never happened until I had 9-10k miles on the bike.

I will be updating the report I filed with NHTSA and including the new information from the GS-911 autoscan.

For a reference point, here are the 4 error messages that were on the ECU before I took the bike to the dealer for 12k service and flash module updates:

3A1623 Level 2 monitoring of throttle valve 2
The fault is not present now.
3A1430 Throttle valve 2 (left), comparing error, adaptation value
3A1431 Throttle valve 2 (left), comparing error, raw value
3A1172 Clutch switch 1, closed, plausibility error during coasting/overrun mode

and these are the new codes from today's ride:

Not sure what the 3A1172 error is about in the first batch, and the 3A1623 error did not show up in this latest shutdown. But clearly, something is amiss with either the TBs or the monitoring therof.

If your bike is exhibiting this issue please file a report with NHTSA at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

In the meantime, I'll not be taking this bike if I need to make a run into SLC on I-15!

Best,
DeVern

Yikes! Went for a day ride today and a hundred miles from home, fortunately on a deserted country stretch of 2-lane roadway, my bike once again flashed the error message on the TFT and went into "limp home" mode. That's a misnomer, for sure--when the bike drops into this mode it won't get out of it's own way. If this ever happens when I'm in I-15 rush hour in anything but the two outside lanes, I'm toast. And this behavior is all new--never happened until I had 9-10k miles on the bike.

I will be updating the report I filed with NHTSA and including the new information from the GS-911 autoscan.

For a reference point, here are the 4 error messages that were on the ECU before I took the bike to the dealer for 12k service and flash module updates:

3A1623 Level 2 monitoring of throttle valve 2
3A1172 Clutch switch 1, closed, plausibility error during coasting/overrun mode

and these are the new codes from today's ride:

Not sure what the 3A1172 error is about in the first batch, and the 3A1623 error did not show up in this latest shutdown. But clearly, something is amiss with either the TBs or the monitoring therof.

If your bike is exhibiting this issue please file a report with NHTSA at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

In the meantime, I'll not be taking this bike if I need to make a run into SLC on I-15!

Best,
DeVern

See Post #8

UPDATE from the guy who started the thread

Just heard from the dealer (after they've had the bike 2 weeks and were not able to replicate the problem). Apparently BMW issued some document (an acronym I can't remember). The short version is that there is a number of connectors to check/clean when these symptoms occur.
The other thing I was told is that apparently they have a way to check the position of the bike when the fault occurred and in most (all) cases logged the bike was leaning hard at slow speed. This is perfectly consistent with my version of the story because typically the fault occurred either during an intermediate rider's skill class or while I was practicing for it. I.e. trying to go through a bunch of cones at slow speed, controlling speed via a combination of clutch and rear brake.
I asked the dealer if they could please either e-mail the details of the technical bulletin (or whatever it's called) or provide the document number so the community could benefit from the info when members communicate with their dealers.
As to following a report with NHTSA, if the problem occurs again after I get the bike back, I'll be sure to file one.
Will provide further updates as soon as I hear from the dealer again.
Thanks for all the inputs, it's nice to know I'm not alone and perhaps together we can convince BMW to find a permanent solution.

Just heard from the dealer (after they've had the bike 2 weeks and were not able to replicate the problem). Apparently BMW issued some document (an acronym I can't remember). The short version is that there is a number of connectors to check/clean when these symptoms occur.
The other thing I was told is that apparently they have a way to check the position of the bike when the fault occurred and in most (all) cases logged the bike was leaning hard at slow speed. This is perfectly consistent with my version of the story because typically the fault occurred either during an intermediate rider's skill class or while I was practicing for it. I.e. trying to go through a bunch of cones at slow speed, controlling speed via a combination of clutch and rear brake.
I asked the dealer if they could please either e-mail the details of the technical bulletin (or whatever it's called) or provide the document number so the community could benefit from the info when members communicate with their dealers.
As to following a report with NHTSA, if the problem occurs again after I get the bike back, I'll be sure to file one.
Will provide further updates as soon as I hear from the dealer again.
Thanks for all the inputs, it's nice to know I'm not alone and perhaps together we can convince BMW to find a permanent solution.

What you are probably referring to is an SI, a Service Information bulletin. I’ll ask my dealer about it next time I’m there. And I note that only once has my bike gone into limp mode while leaned over in a turn—all other occurrences were in straight and level mode.

When I had an occurrence shortly after the dealer service and flash updates, I was instructed to reset adaptive data (which I suspect was only TPS info) by following the procedure mentioned in post 11, with the explanation that the tech may not have done the reset after the flash. I have put on only a few hundred miles since then but have not yet had another limp mode incident. Touch wood...

Other than a canned submittal acknowledgment I’ve heard nothing from NHTSA on the report I filed. The service mgr at the dealership was adamant about calling BMW Roadside Assistance if I had another incident or felt unsafe riding the bike and wanted it transported to the dealer. Most of my riding on the GS is fairly rural and on those segments where I need to use a stretch of freeway I’m just sticking to the outside lanes with a shoulder nearby.

Best,
DeVern

Is this "Throttle Position Error" which drops the bike into limp mode a known problem with a known fix? Mine does it at random and unpredictable times, and I just want to get it resolved. I live in fear of having the bike loose power just after I've overtaken a truck, and in Australia we have massive semi-trailers that we call Road Trains that can have up to four trailers and are 115 feet long

My 2016 RT is in with the BMW dealer today, to investigate this issue further. BMW Germany have asked for a live computer hook up to the bike, as they can see stuff that my local dealer cannot see on the dealer computer hook up, so I'm keen to hear what they find. The "Limp Mode" issue about 9 times in the last 12 months, each related to the right side throttle body not syncing.

I have been advised that replacing the right side throttle body will resolve the issue, but the part is $660 AUD (plus fitting labour). My concern is whether the throttle body is crook, or whether the computer thinks that the hrottle body is crook, so I hope BMW Germany can see something.

My 2016 RT is in with the BMW dealer today, to investigate this issue further. BMW Germany have asked for a live computer hook up to the bike, as they can see stuff that my local dealer cannot see on the dealer computer hook up, so I'm keen to hear what they find. The "Limp Mode" issue about 9 times in the last 12 months, each related to the right side throttle body not syncing.

I have been advised that replacing the right side throttle body will resolve the issue, but the part is $660 AUD (plus fitting labour). My concern is whether the throttle body is crook, or whether the computer thinks that the hrottle body is crook, so I hope BMW Germany can see something.

Before you spend $$ on parts have the dealer check and update firmware version on the ICU and any other modules that have updates available.

Best,
DeVern

Back