• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Just what we need...

Too much technology for two wheels. I have adaptive cruise in my Tundra ,and use it, but you still have to be aware of traffic or you can get into serious trouble. With drivers texting, calling, and watching apple tv in their cars, the adaptive is not responsive enough or tracks the same every time. If your cruising at 80 mph and some yahoo who is traveling 20 mph slower than you pulls out it can be quite the jolt. And the poor person behind you is right up your butt, and then your canceling and trying to re-establish speed, not my cup of tea on two wheels. Also the adaptive may decide to stop working, if it thinks the conditions are wrong even when it's not. You have to learn the horse to ride it safely ,same with a motorcycle.

This Hi tech wizardry isn't cheap. In order to keep the overall cost of the bike down, and profit margins up, corners must be cut. Maybe that's why we have bikes with soft cam followers and defective calipers. Cost cutting on the old simple tech which doesn't sell new bikes. Surface sensitive traction control and adaptive cruise control look great in a sales brochure. Quality brake calipers and hardened cam followers, not so much.

Can you live in Texas without a Horse?

E.

Not easily.

One day about 5 years ago Voni came into the house from a motorcycle ride. She said, "I found a big red horse. If he follows me home can I keep him." I said, "Sure." Little did I know. :)

This was a horse which had been won in a poker game. The new owner lacked the resources to feed himself very well, let alone take care of the horse. It was just turned out to roam in the desert during the day, and then fed a little hay and watered in the evening.

It took a couple of months but we wound up rescuing the horse, aptly named Big Red. We had the horse for about a year until we found a much better place for a horse to live among a group of six others with real grass, a running stream, and the freedom to roam over a large ranch.

So, I now say, "We owned a horse."

Last edited:
This Hi tech wizardry isn't cheap. In order to keep the overall cost of the bike down, and profit margins up, corners must be cut. Maybe that's why we have bikes with soft cam followers and defective calipers. Cost cutting on the old simple tech which doesn't sell new bikes. Surface sensitive traction control and adaptive cruise control look great in a sales brochure. Quality brake calipers and hardened cam followers, not so much.

+1

In order to go along with this, I would have to see the memo from the suppliers to BMW that indicated that the part just had to look like a cam follower and the brakes just had to look like other motorcycle brakes.
Maybe BMW will one day offer a all Berlin parts assembled by two guys from start to finish and test ridden by the top inspector :dunno
Until then, I’m afraid everything is globally sourced components, many made by people that have no knowledge of what the part does.
OM

Back