• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Just what we need...

I believe BMW is also working on adaptive cruise control for bikes. As most of you know, that is where the cruise control varies speed to maintain a safe following distance.

take care,

Harry

I believe BMW is also working on adaptive cruise control for bikes. As most of you know, that is where the cruise control varies speed to maintain a safe following distance.

take care,

Harry

Well, maybe not so safe. My new Ridgeline has adaptive cruise control. The desired distance the system will maintain can be set in one of four options. I tried the nearest option and it is certainly is not safe at the 70-80 MPH speeds common in Montana. Would be appropriate at 25-35 MPH. I suspect Honda expects the driver to exercise good judgment... a dangerous path to travel when it comes to new technology. It would be a good idea for following options be eliminated as speed increases so that a option becomes dangerous to use.

The problem I have with adaptive cruise control is when driving on an Interstate and the car ahead pulls off onto an exit, the adaptive cruise control will fail to understand that the car is exiting the travel lane, and will apply the brakes needlessly, and erroneously. I have to tap the brakes to get out of cruise control to avoid possibly causing an accident. Adaptive cruise control is useful but far from perfect.

Harry

Woah! Talk to a State Trooper about the “minimum speed” posted and those that think it is no matter what the conditions :eek
OM

The autopilot part to take care of steering is interesting.

BMW and Honda both have self-balancing concept bikes.
Maybe autonomous motorcycles are not so far off after all!

I stick

I will stick to my airheads, I have never seen the big desire to make a motorcycle more like a car. I have no radio, no GPS, no nothing to distract me or for me to fiddle with while I am riding. Pure motorcycle, nothing else for me is needed.

I have all the high tech stuff on my cars and it is all fine except when it isn't. Case in point is the number of all wheel drive cars on the road. All wheel drive is great for getting going in the snow but morons have taken that to mean they can drive like hell in all kinds of road conditions thinking it will help them steer and stop. AS such, I love the first few days of ice and snow on the roads counting the four wheel drive and AWD dingbats in the ditches.

I have traction control on my motorcycle, it is in my head and works via my wrist, clutch and brakes. Is it perfect, no, neither is the factory stuff. To me it just adds expensive stuff and more stuff to go wrong, to what is supposed to be something fun to ride and not a substitute for a car. St.

I will stick to my airheads, I have never seen the big desire to make a motorcycle more like a car. I have no radio, no GPS, no nothing to distract me or for me to fiddle with while I am riding. Pure motorcycle, nothing else for me is needed.

I have all the high tech stuff on my cars and it is all fine except when it isn't. Case in point is the number of all wheel drive cars on the road. All wheel drive is great for getting going in the snow but morons have taken that to mean they can drive like hell in all kinds of road conditions thinking it will help them steer and stop. AS such, I love the first few days of ice and snow on the roads counting the four wheel drive and AWD dingbats in the ditches.

I have traction control on my motorcycle, it is in my head and works via my wrist, clutch and brakes. Is it perfect, no, neither is the factory stuff. To me it just adds expensive stuff and more stuff to go wrong, to what is supposed to be something fun to ride and not a substitute for a car. St.

Steven, I can agree somewhat with your perspective if we are talking about riders who actually ride a bike enough to develop the skills needed to be an accomplished rider. However, a large percentage of riders never put more than maybe a couple thousand miles a season on their bikes, and for them, all the new fangled safety measures make sense. Even folks who have voiced that they have been riding since they were old enough to pick up a Honda 50 cc scoot and ride off into the sunset, if they only put a couple of Thousand miles a year on their scoot and maybe one or two long tours over a thousand miles during that 50 years of riding, still don't have the abilities it takes now days to navigate the army of drivers out there intent on running over us while texting on their phones. So for them, things like abs are an important element of getting all the pleasure they can out of their seasonal abilities. So for those of us who have the abilities (not sure if I put myself in that category, even with close now to 200,000 miles in the past 13 years) those gadgets are a great equalizer allowing us to incorporate an opps factor into our daily riding so we can feel capable enough to keep riding.

Steven, I can agree somewhat with your perspective if we are talking about riders who actually ride a bike enough to develop the skills needed to be an accomplished rider. However, a large percentage of riders never put more than maybe a couple thousand miles a season on their bikes, and for them, all the new fangled safety measures make sense. Even folks who have voiced that they have been riding since they were old enough to pick up a Honda 50 cc scoot and ride off into the sunset, if they only put a couple of Thousand miles a year on their scoot and maybe one or two long tours over a thousand miles during that 50 years of riding, still don't have the abilities it takes now days to navigate the army of drivers out there intent on running over us while texting on their phones. So for them, things like abs are an important element of getting all the pleasure they can out of their seasonal abilities. So for those of us who have the abilities (not sure if I put myself in that category, even with close now to 200,000 miles in the past 13 years) those gadgets are a great equalizer allowing us to incorporate an opps factor into our daily riding so we can feel capable enough to keep riding.

When BMW first introduced ABS on the K100 at a press conference they had a test bike with outriggers and a wet skid pad. If I remember correctly none of the motorcycle press people - many of whom are former competitive racers - could not keep the bike upright as well as the ABS. I have no problem admitting I don't have the riding skills anywhere near the level of ABS or traction control systems. I do prefer simple systems and solutions, but in some cases higher technology is the only way to make some things possible.

When BMW first introduced ABS on the K100 at a press conference they had a test bike with outriggers and a wet skid pad. If I remember correctly none of the motorcycle press people - many of whom are former competitive racers - could not keep the bike upright as well as the ABS. I have no problem admitting I don't have the riding skills anywhere near the level of ABS or traction control systems. I do prefer simple systems and solutions, but in some cases higher technology is the only way to make some things possible.

As a relatively novice rider, I am very happy to have ABS and ASC. Those sorts of safety features are very appealing to me. If BMW is working on further improvements, I welcome them.

What I am not interested in is hi-tech gadgety screens with integrated phone systems etc. I see those as contributing to distracted driving. I prefer a quick glance at an analog tach and speedo so my eyes aren’t off the road for more than a second.

I grew up with horses, they are too argumentative for me. You can tell them which way to go, and if they don't want to. they won't!

Horses scare me. Extremely powerful machines with a mind of their own. And they can smell fear... I’ll take a motorcycle any day.

I grew up with horses, they are too argumentative for me. You can tell them which way to go, and if they don't want to. they won't!

A horse will override your inputs if it doesn’t like them, much like a modern vehicle with all the driver/rider aids.

A horse will override your inputs if it doesn’t like them, much like a modern vehicle with all the driver/rider aids.

Not entirely. When my car with adaptive cruise control slows my car dramatically when the car ahead exits the road or turns onto a side road, I override it by turning off the cruise control.

Harry

What I am not interested in is hi-tech gadgety screens with integrated phone systems etc. I see those as contributing to distracted driving. I prefer a quick glance at an analog tach and speedo so my eyes aren’t off the road for more than a second.
If that's a knock against the TFT screen on the recent GS bikes, i agree with you. I found the dash of my 2016 GSA gave me faster at-a-glance access to more information than the TFT. The connectivity features are irrelevant to me, YMMV.

I have a 218 Audi with all the technology. The adaptive cruise is excellent, and the blind spot warning is very helpful (like when you are trying to get across five lanes of heavy freeway traffic, at night, in the rain). However as a motorcyclist, my favorite feature in the Audi is that when turning left or right, if it senses a car or motorcycle approaching, at a speed that would cause a collision, it will apply the brakes. Think how many lives that would save if it were universal. I don't really want ACC on my bike, but happy to have it on the car.

rickdm

Sure, but the horse override is at the horse's option. If the horse wants to run you you through a narrow doorway at a full gallop, it will. (That happened to a girl I grew up with. The horse fit through the doorway, but not her and her legs. Peeled her right off the back of the horse. Black and blue legs and arms and a knob on her head from the top of the door frame. She just laid on the ground for a while. We were about ready to call an ambulance, but she told us she was OK.)
I would trust the vehicle computer over a horse's thought process any day. The vehicle computer is concerned about keeping you and those around you alive. The horse just thinks of itself! It just wants a warm stall, and a bucket of oats.

Back