• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K100LT Standard Equipment

oldcarman

I've owned three K100RT's,1985 and 1986 models, but wondered if the K100LT ever had the adjustable wind screen? I thought I saw a picture of a 91 K100LT with the adjustable wind screen but haven't been able to find it again. It may have been added as modification by the owner. I know the K1100LT had the adjustable wind screen but it is a slightly bigger bike than the K100LT.

Other than painted luggage and trunk what were the main differences between the K100RT and LT?

Thanks,

The parts fiche for the K100LT shows two possible windscreens. One of them is an electrically adjustable one. A lot of the parts are NLA and the ones that are are quite pricey. The motor alone is $850.

:dance:dance:dance

The K100LT never had the adjustable windscreen as standard equipment. Anyone that you see has been added by the owner. I bought a new 91 K100LT back in 91 and still have it. I believe that the radio, large trunk, and vents on the side of the fairing are the differences between the K100RT and K100LT. My 91 came with a "BMW seat by Corbin". At least that is what is on the tag under the seat.

The K100LT never had the adjustable windscreen as standard equipment. Anyone that you see has been added by the owner. I bought a new 91 K100LT back in 91 and still have it. I believe that the radio, large trunk, and vents on the side of the fairing are the differences between the K100RT and K100LT. My 91 came with a "BMW seat by Corbin". At least that is what is on the tag under the seat.[/QUOTE

Then why was it listed in the parts fiche?

Are you saying that BMW developed the adjustable windscreen for the K100 but never put it on a bike? It would seem cost prohibitive for an owner to have to buy a bike and then spend over a grand to convert it to an adjustable windscreen.

Different dealers got different trim levels on different bikes. I don't know how much choice the dealers had. It might have been BMWs choice.

Kinda guessing here. The adjustable windshield was probably developed for the K1100LT. The upper fairing was pretty much the same as the K100LT and K100RT. So it was probably a retro fit. Expensive, but doable.

Kinda guessing here. The adjustable windshield was probably developed for the K1100LT. The upper fairing was pretty much the same as the K100LT and K100RT. So it was probably a retro fit. Expensive, but doable.

Other than the screen itself, virtually all the acctuating parts are completely different.

Does anyone know if the suspension was the same? Someone told me the suspension was softer on the LT than on the earlier RT's. Possibly different spring rates. Any thoughts? I have a 96 R1100RT now and am thinking about buying another K100RT or LT. I miss the K experience.

Hello,

I had a 1985 K100RT that I put 223K on. It was retired by a distracted driver in 2016. I purchased a 1993 K1100LT as a replacement and have put about 55K on it. In my opinion, the K1100 is a MUCH better bike. The front suspension is much better*, it gets better gas mileage, it's much smother, the foot peg mounting is much better, the brakes are better.

* the fork seals tend to leak if you don't install gaiters.

Richard Flood
Commerce Township, MI

K100RT standard equipmenrt

Yes, I have looked at and sat on the K1100 and do like it. The reason I haven't had one yet is a bigger bike, longer wheel base and a little heavier than the K100RT. The specs list the k1100LT at 61.6" wheel base and 638 lbs. The K100RT is 59.7" and 557 lbs. Plus I'm short, 5'6" and 70 plus years young. So, lighter and shorter works better. jim

My K100LT came with the Nivomat rear shock, truly a P.O.S. for anything other than riding the slabs.
I replaced it with a Progressive, which was a little better but wasn't really up to the task, and was mostly satisfied with a Koni.
Don't know if the front suspension was different.

Yes, I have looked at and sat on the K1100 and do like it. The reason I haven't had one yet is a bigger bike, longer wheel base and a little heavier than the K100RT. The specs list the k1100LT at 61.6" wheel base and 638 lbs. The K100RT is 59.7" and 557 lbs. Plus I'm short, 5'6" and 70 plus years young. So, lighter and shorter works better. jim

I hear you on the weight issue. But I suspect most of the gain with the K1100 come from the addition of features rather than the basic bike itself. The 1100 gained over the 100 not just ABS, but I believe also a radio, powered windscreen, and a top box. If you really want a lighter bike, much of that could be removed.

I suspect the longer wheelbase is likely due to the parallever rear end with it's second u-joint.

The 1100s feel far more refined, IMO.

1987 k100lt

7898EA16-8D7F-4853-9AF7-36A2EC70B399.jpeg
Pretty much how it was in ‘87. Bike came with all the stereo setup minus the actual stereo head. Most dealers installed the BMW unit to sell the bike. There was no power windshield available until the K1100LT came out. The basic upper fairing structure on both bikes were the same. The power adjustable windshield would retrofit. But the cost of the unit and the labor would be cost prohibitive. I remember my Buddy Leo telling me he thought about it for his ‘87 RT. I think he finally realized it was to much money. I’m thinking at least $1000, just a guess. The LT was a dolled up RT. If I remember correctly the dealers were discounting the RT’s $1000 to move them off the showroom floor.

Back