• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1600GT or GTL question

brownie0486

What's the last year of the K1600 series without keyless ignition. I'm not that keen on keyless [ heard too many issues of them not opening on the road ] but am looking at the K1600 series to replace my K1200GT I gave my brother.

While we're at it, best years for the K1600 with keyed ignition? Why? What to look for on these bikes etc.

Thanks in advance

Even for 2021 K16's, keyless ride technically remains as an option. I say technically as it comes as one of the features of the "Select Package", in which they bundle a number of options such as gear shift Assist Pro, Central locking, Keyless Ride, Anti Theft, Engine Protection bars, and Auxiliary lights, that to the best of my knowledge cannot be ordered individually with a new bike. I don't know where you reside, but here in the US, most dealers seem to order the bikes for the showroom floor including the "Select Package" in the various colours, and that is about it. If you wanted a new bike, you can custom order one without the Select Package, if that floats your boat. But by in large, you are primarily choosing model, colour, seat and wheels.

As to "best year", since that is somewhat subjective, you could get as many different answers as people responding. I should think it comes down to what matters the most to you - such as what ones you can find without keyless ride, as an example. 2018 and newer came with the slower throttle response, which can be cured with a Bren Tune. The newer years include some features not found in the older model years.

Btw, my the keyless ride on my 2020 GTL hasn't given me any issues in the few months I've had the bike. Prior to getting the bike, I would have been plenty happy with a real key, but I gotta say, I have found it pretty handy stashing the key permanently in my riding gear, and not having to think about a key, unless I need to remove the seat or any of the cases. On the K1600 forum, the only issues I've seen mentioned about keyless ride, is when the keyfob battery runs low, but even without a battery, you can start the bike simply by holding the keyfob just in front of the gas cap while turning on the ignition. If you are set against keyless ride, that's your prerogative.

Back