• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

miles2ride

I'm new to this forum , and to BMW motorcycles . I really have several questions ...the first question I have is whether or not my xenon headlight is a factory installation or was done by a previous owner . Before buying the bike , a 2007 k1200gt , I was under the impression if the bike was purchased new with xenon , it would be identified on the headlight lens . Nothing on the lens . When I was taking the protective cover off to get at the bulb , I noticed several wires that I don't think are original to the bike .Is there anyway I can identify if it's a factory installation or not ? Second , can someone recommend a bulb and a vendor where I can purchase a bulb at a reasonable price ? OR...if it is a diy conversion , How difficult to return it to halogen ? ( I don't ride at night much , and if I do I have a set of hellas to help me along . Thanks , I appreciate having a place to go to get help .

Last edited:
You can find the D1R 6000K 35W Xenon Headlight Bulbs on Amazon for a very reasonable price (I bought a two pack for $60). If the headlight was originally a Xenon, it would be stamped on the reflector on the left side upper corner of the headlight.

thanks , could not find any stamp so it must be aftermarket . I'm guessing the DR1 indicates a bulb compatible with the k12 ?

I'm guessing the DR1 indicates a bulb compatible with the k12 ?

Correct. Same bulb as my K1300GT. If you did not see Xenon in the location I mentioned, then it may have been converted (pretty pricey to do if parts were not from a salvage).

just got home and saw your posts ...let me clarify what I meant by non original wires . There are several wires using connectors that you would buy at a hardware store , not the type used in production . I can't be sure , but they don't appear to part of the lighting system . I only mentioned them because they indicated someone had done some modifications to the bike . That said , my problem now is all the D1Rs I see require a plug from the bike . The bulb in there now has it's own wires exiting the bulb , through the cover to separate connectors ,( 1 blue wire and 1 red ) . This bulb doesn't have the large box at the bottom .

Are you sure you have a D1R and not an HID? I know that when the HID's are installed, the wires go through the cover and to a ballast. That is what I had on my 1200RT.

I'm sure I don't have D1R . I thought HID and Xenon were the same . I don't see ballasts , but that would explain the wiring I'm seeing . The difference ?

Here are the different bulbs. The K bikes only came with H7 and D1R.

Attachments

• H7.jpg
    H7.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 51
  • HID.jpg
    HID.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 53
  • D1R.jpg
    D1R.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 53
thanks for the help . Going by the pictures , the hid is is what I have . I think I'll pull off all the plastic to expose everything so I will have a better idea what I've got . I don't know the bikes history so I'll replace both hi beams now , and I may go to led for the lowbeam . Thanks again for the help .

Back