Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Tpms removal?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    154

    Tpms removal?

    Will the tire still hold air if I remove the tpms from the front wheel? 2017 RT.

    Bob

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by bobw View Post
    Will the tire still hold air if I remove the tpms from the front wheel? 2017 RT.

    Bob
    Not unless it is replaced with a different valve stem.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  3. #3
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    15,630
    Quote Originally Posted by bobw View Post
    Will the tire still hold air if I remove the tpms from the front wheel? 2017 RT.

    Bob
    I will add a bit of a description to the title. It will help all the way around.
    Good luck.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Pickering, ON, Canada
    Posts
    109

    You can

    Quote Originally Posted by bobw View Post
    Will the tire still hold air if I remove the tpms from the front wheel? 2017 RT.

    Bob
    The tpms sensor is separate from the valve stem and can be removed (with the tire removed from the wheel) and the remounted tire will still hold air.

    tpms.jpg

    #1 is a mounting screw, not the valve stem.

    The rear wheel is the same. I suspect this was because BMW now has the valve stem in the spoke of the wheel, perpendicular to the angle of rotation of the wheel.
    Bob
    2014 R1200RT

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    154
    Thanks Bob_One
    What I want to do is take it off when I put a new front tire on and try and replace the battery and if successful put it back at the next tire change. And in the meantime I ordered the FOBO tpms.
    Bob

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bobs_one View Post
    The tpms sensor is separate from the valve stem and can be removed (with the tire removed from the wheel) and the remounted tire will still hold air.

    tpms.jpg

    #1 is a mounting screw, not the valve stem.

    The rear wheel is the same. I suspect this was because BMW now has the valve stem in the spoke of the wheel, perpendicular to the angle of rotation of the wheel.
    Thanks. I stand corrected. Still, I would like a new valve stem with each tire change if it is a rubber stem. If a metal stem, maybe new O rings.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  7. #7
    Registered User cap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by bobw
    And in the meantime I ordered the FOBO tpms.
    Bob
    What is FOBO? I bought a set of clone TPMS for about $20 each on Amazon. They work fine. I checked and found that my seller doesn’t list them anymore, but there are plenty of others listed. Search for part number 36238521796 . Don’t forget that you may need to replace the “pin.” And you will need a “wake up” tool, and also a GS-911 to learn the new TPMS ID codes.

    Boxflyer did a nice video on the process.

  8. #8
    Registered User natrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    391
    I've had the FOBO caps on my RT for about 4 years and they still work great. Super convenient as well since I can check my tire pressure from my living room without having to get on the bike and ride it. They do require battery changes fairly often, but it's NBD.
    Current rides: 2013 R1200RT 90th - 108k miles & 1996 R850R - 28k miles
    Previous BMWs: 2016 R1200RT, 2012 R1200GS Rallye, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

  9. #9
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,651
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Thanks. I stand corrected. Still, I would like a new valve stem with each tire change if it is a rubber stem. If a metal stem, maybe new O rings.
    On the bikes with the stems in the spoke, the stem is threaded into the spoke and can be replaced at a reasonable cost, in the $10-12 range. Since the only portion of the stem that is exposed is the threaded portion the cap screws onto, these stems see very little wear or damage. BMW also sells replacement cores for those stems, <$2, but I don’t see any availability for o-rings on the stems.

    Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  10. #10
    Are we there yet? tonyfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SAT - LAX - LAS
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    What is FOBO? I bought a set of clone TPMS for about $20 each on Amazon. They work fine. I checked and found that my seller doesn’t list them anymore, but there are plenty of others listed. Search for part number 36238521796 . Don’t forget that you may need to replace the “pin.” And you will need a “wake up” tool, and also a GS-911 to learn the new TPMS ID codes.
    You can also find them on eBay for about $22
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
    2005 R1200 RT - gone

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    154

    Unhappy

    Natrab The FOBO came in and really was happy with them until I rolled the bike and bent the sensor on the front wheel. Not enough clearance and it hit the disk brake. Very disappointed. My RT is 2017.
    Bob

  12. #12
    Registered User AntonLargiader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    2,199
    I'm buying aftermarket sensors these days. I can buy six sensors and a scan tool for less than the cost of one sensor from BMW.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

  13. #13

    Tpms

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    I'm buying aftermarket sensors these days. I can buy six sensors and a scan tool for less than the cost of one sensor from BMW.
    Can you tell me the name and source and cost of these aftermarket sensors
    Thanks
    Howard D.

  14. #14
    Old Rider - OK Mechanic 105258's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Teulon Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    232

    Tmps Sensors

    Great info and tanks to BoxFlyer for an excellent video on the programming. My 1250 has different sensors. Anyone seen a replacement product for them.
    David Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

    2015 R1200GSA-LC

  15. #15
    The TPMS sending units might have different part numbers, and BMW has been doing that since about 2005 when they were more common on our bikes.
    The list of bikes with interchangeable TPMS with other models or years can be found on www.realoem.com

Similar Threads

  1. TPMS Malfunction
    By poco183 in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-16-2019, 03:14 AM
  2. K1600 gtl tpms
    By vmawa6 in forum Straight 6 K1600 GT/GTL/B
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-04-2019, 07:46 PM
  3. 2015 rt tpms
    By Dsmith1200 in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-31-2018, 03:22 PM
  4. Tpms recommendations?
    By tangoalpha in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-16-2017, 12:16 AM
  5. TPMS sensors
    By KevinRT in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-03-2016, 01:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •