• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200RS Headlight Electrics

VIEJO

On a recent ride to Utah the headlight low beam went out on my 2003 K1200RS. Not really a problem as I don't ride that much in non-daylight hours and just stayed on the hi beam for the run back to Texas. When I got home I decided to make sure it wasn't just a blown fuse before I started taking off the tupperware to get at the headlight assembly and that's when things got interesting. Both the wiring diagram and illustrations in my Clymer manual showed the low beam fuse to be located under the seat in FB#!, fuse #4 (of 8), with the fuse being 7.5A. I opened up FB#1 and found only 4 fuses, 2@15A and 2@4A. (FB#2 which was also shown in the manual as containing 8 fuses was also configured the same as FB#1.) All the fuses checked good so I'm going ahead with the lamp replacement but I'm curious about the disconnect between the Clymer manual and the actual configuration of my bike. I've been using Clymer manuals for years now and this is the first major discrepancy I've come across... or am I overlooking another fuse box(es) somewhere not referenced in the manual? :scratch

On a recent ride to Utah the headlight low beam went out on my 2003 K1200RS. Not really a problem as I don't ride that much in non-daylight hours and just stayed on the hi beam for the run back to Texas. When I got home I decided to make sure it wasn't just a blown fuse before I started taking off the tupperware to get at the headlight assembly and that's when things got interesting. Both the wiring diagram and illustrations in my Clymer manual showed the low beam fuse to be located under the seat in FB#!, fuse #4 (of 8), with the fuse being 7.5A. I opened up FB#1 and found only 4 fuses, 2@15A and 2@4A. (FB#2 which was also shown in the manual as containing 8 fuses was also configured the same as FB#1.) All the fuses checked good so I'm going ahead with the lamp replacement but I'm curious about the disconnect between the Clymer manual and the actual configuration of my bike. I've been using Clymer manuals for years now and this is the first major discrepancy I've come across... or am I overlooking another fuse box(es) somewhere not referenced in the manual? :scratch

The confusion is not so much because CLYMER did not do a good job, but the way BMW handles important production changes - quite often in middle of the calendar year - generally in September or October after the Europe summer holidays.

In this specific case (between 2002 and 2003), they wanted to introduce the k1200GT variant for 2003 based on the K1200RS platform, BUT they needed more fuse fuses available for electrical windshield and heated seat of K1200GT - in the previous fuse box design there was only 4 fuses in each fuse box and they were all taken (assuming you had cruise-control). So they made a change to 8 fuses per box (16 potentially available) and they implemented the same change to the 2003 and later k1200RS in addition to K1200GT.

CLYMER shows both fuse box configuration (page 309 in my 1st edition) with mention of "2003 - on RS and GT model" for the 16 fuses newer design. This is approximately correct - however because the change took place at the factory in October-2002 (shown as 10/02 in parts fiche), a USA model produced in September (just before change) could be sold as a 2003 to the customer.

I suspect your K1200RS as production around Sept or October 2002 (near cutoff date) with the 4 fuses per box. IMPORTANT to note that earlier models like yours (and mine too) do NOT have any fuses to protect the headlamp circuit (High or Low). This was quite a surprise for me when I bought mine new in 2002... so much for serious German engineering.

See this page on MAX_BMW parts fiche showing theh production date change for USA market on the main harness part number. They even found a way to mess up the fuse box image (and part number) by not showing both configuration for 2002-2004 models fiche - although they did it properly for the main harness diagram page:

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51580&diagram=61_1221&partnumber=61117655285

Under your seat on the plate attached to the left sub-frame tubing, just above the VIN number, you should be able to read the Month and Year of the production date for yours (see photo for an example):

K1200RS_VIN_plate_1.jpg

Last edited:
The confusion is not so much because CLYMER did not do a good job, but the way BMW handles important production changes - quite often in middle of the calendar year - generally in September or October after the Europe summer holidays.

In this specific case (between 2002 and 2003), they wanted to introduce the k1200GT variant for 2003 based on the K1200RS platform, BUT they needed more fuse fuses available for electrical windshield and heated seat of K1200GT - in the previous fuse box design there was only 4 fuses in each fuse box and they were all taken (assuming you had cruise-control). So they made a change to 8 fuses per box (16 potentially available) and they implemented the same change to the 2003 and later k1200RS in addition to K1200GT.

CLYMER shows both fuse box configuration (page 309 in my 1st edition) with mention of "2003 - on RS and GT model" for the 16 fuses newer design. This is approximately correct - however because the change took place at the factory in October-2002 (shown as 10/02 in parts fiche), a USA model produced in September (just before change) could be sold as a 2003 to the customer.

I suspect your K1200RS as production around Sept or October 2002 (near cutoff date) with the 4 fuses per box. IMPORTANT to note that earlier models like yours (and mine too) do NOT have any fuses to protect the headlamp circuit (High or Low). This was quite a surprise for me when I bought mine new in 2002... so much for serious German engineering.

See this page on MAX_BMW parts fiche showing theh production date change for USA market on the main harness part number. They even found a way to mess up the fuse box image (and part number) by not showing both configuration for 2002-2004 models fiche - although they did it properly for the main harness diagram page:

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51580&diagram=61_1221&partnumber=61117655285

Under your seat on the plate attached to the left sub-frame tubing, just above the VIN number, you should be able to read the Month and Year of the production date for yours (see photo for an example):

View attachment 80653

Right you are! My date of manufacture is 0602. My Clymer manual is 2nd Ed. (Aug 2008) and the fuse box diagram(s) are pp308-309. Time to start looking for a more accurate wiring diagram.

Right you are! My date of manufacture is 0602. My Clymer manual is 2nd Ed. (Aug 2008) and the fuse box diagram(s) are pp308-309. Time to start looking for a more accurate wiring diagram.

Not sure what is the exact regulation by country (if any), but such a vehicle built in June of 2002 can be sold as a 2003 model.

For many years, everything I had seen on various BMW forums and on the road (rallyes , meeting) led me to beleive that all 2003 models of K1200RS and K1200GT would have the newer fuse box setup. Yours appear to show this is not 100% accurate. I also have to assume that CLYMER did not have this exact info (major electrical changes implememented in Oct-2002) when they published the book - or they did not bothered with this precision and just wrote 2003 or later.

Your wiring diagram will be the same as any K1200RS of 2002 models sold in USA (facelift version with large nose fairing). This is covered in CLYMER at the end over about 7 pages as "2002 RS models (with EVO brakes) ...".

Since I bought the CLYMER repair manual in 2006, I have discovered a few errors and omissions in wiring diagrams. Hence, I always confirm with the factory BMW electrical diagrams called "CD SLP 2.2 WIRING DIAGRAM" sold as a PC Windows based only application on CD (BMW part number: 01797720399). Cost is currently shown as $US 50 in parts fiche. This CD covers all BMW motorcycles between 1993 and 2008.

In my opinion, as computer programmer for 20 years, it is not a very "user friendly" aplication... but it does the job to get info not available anywhere else. Of course, if the Germans were not so arrogant they would have included the electrical diagrams inside their own Service manual for the K1200RS like 95% of the manufacturers do. I have the BMW service manual and the diagrams are not there, so I bought the CD separately.

Not sure what is the exact regulation by country (if any), but such a vehicle built in June of 2002 can be sold as a 2003 model.

Voni's R1100RS was built in March of 1993, purchased in May of 1993 and titled as a 1994 motorcycle.

For many years, everything I had seen on various BMW forums and on the road (rallyes , meeting) led me to beleive that all 2003 models of K1200RS and K1200GT would have the newer fuse box setup. Yours appear to show this is not 100% accurate. I also have to assume that CLYMER did not have this exact info (major electrical changes implememented in Oct-2002) when they published the book - or they did not bothered with this precision and just wrote 2003 or later.

Your wiring diagram will be the same as any K1200RS of 2002 models sold in USA (facelift version with large nose fairing). This is covered in CLYMER at the end over about 7 pages as "2002 RS models (with EVO brakes) ...".

Since I bought the CLYMER repair manual in 2006, I have discovered a few errors and omissions in wiring diagrams. Hence, I always confirm with the factory BMW electrical diagrams called "CD SLP 2.2 WIRING DIAGRAM" sold as a PC Windows based only application on CD (BMW part number: 01797720399). Cost is currently shown as $US 50 in parts fiche. This CD covers all BMW motorcycles between 1993 and 2008.

In my opinion, as computer programmer for 20 years, it is not a very "user friendly" aplication... but it does the job to get info not available anywhere else. Of course, if the Germans were not so arrogant they would have included the electrical diagrams inside their own Service manual for the K1200RS like 95% of the manufacturers do. I have the BMW service manual and the diagrams are not there, so I bought the CD separately.

In my 2nd Ed. Clymer manual the correct wiring diagrams do appear to be the 2002 RS series.... thanks.

Time to listen to Wagner's "Gotterdammerung" again, real loud. :banghead

Further Errata in the 2nd Ed. Clymer K1200RS Manual

In my 2nd Ed. Clymer manual the correct wiring diagrams do appear to be the 2002 RS series.... thanks.

Time to listen to Wagner's "Gotterdammerung" again, real loud. :banghead

According to the 2nd Ed. Clymer Manual for the '03 K1200RS both the high and low beam headlight bulbs can be changed without removing the upper fairing. In my experience this would only be possible if you had very, very tiny hands on extendable wrists along with correspondingly flexible eyes on stalks. Assuming that like me you don't, remove the upper fairing, remove the headlight assembly intact (being especially cautious with the spring clip that secures the plug bringing power to the assembly...DAMHIK), and then do the job on the bench.

The Clymer Manual is correct in one area for this job- the fitting of the high beam bulb into its holder can be tricky. Make sure you study the positioning of the old bulb carefully before removing it; I would recommend taking a picture. The bulb will only fit one way in the holder but it is not readily apparent.

Press on, regardless....

Dave

Back