• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

SAE Connector with heated gear

chriscosta10

I have a 2019 K1600GT with an SAE battery tender connection. I've searched and can't find information about whether the SAE connection will support the 11 amps necessary to power Hotwired liners. Can anyone point me to more information about the uses for the SAE connection?

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully one of the electro-wizards will drop by and provide some insight!

Welcome to the forum!
On my bike and ATV, I have the SAE connector and the coaxial connector that came with the heated gear (Gerbing).
I think the standard SAE connector that comes with the Battery Tender (brand) will be at it’s limits at 11 amps.
Good luck.
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

I have a 2019 K1600GT with an SAE battery tender connection. I've searched and can't find information about whether the SAE connection will support the 11 amps necessary to power Hotwired liners. Can anyone point me to more information about the uses for the SAE connection?

Didn't you get a 12V coax fused lead with Hotwired clothing? If so, just contect that to the battery and jumper terminal. That way, you don't have to purchase a coax to SAE adapter cable.

Some SAE to battery adapter cables offered specify the max amps or AWG.

11 amps require at least AWG 14 or 12.

Your battery tender would still work with a higher amp adapter.

/Guenther

I just ordered a Warm n Safe 90w liner along with heated gloves and had the same questions. Initially I thought about being lazy and use a coax adapter on my existing SAE lead for my Motor Pump pro. I confirmed that it was fused with a 15amp but wire was 18 ga. Warm n Safe recommended using their harness which is 16 gauge / 15amp fuse. I swim in shallow waters when it comes to anything electrical so wanted to be safe more than sorry....especially if it meant frying my harness or freezing my butt off at the worst time.

Total of 9 amps for my combo.

I swim in shallow waters when it comes to anything electrical so wanted to be safe more than sorry....especially if it meant frying my harness or freezing my butt off at the worst time.

I am in the same boat. I'm guessing that hooking up the harness included with the Hotwired gear will be easier than I anticipated, but for a neophyte, it sure would be easier to simply use the SAE connector (and less wires).

Good luck with adding the harness...should be a quick task if you have easy access to your battery.

* Just noticed you and I are neighbors. I belong to a newly formed (last year) Chartered BMW club...Central Iowa MOA Chapter. Touch base anytime if you're interested in meeting more BMW riders in the area. Several members ride K1600's.

Mark

I am in the same boat. I'm guessing that hooking up the harness included with the Hotwired gear will be easier than I anticipated, but for a neophyte, it sure would be easier to simply use the SAE connector (and less wires).

I went thru this same discussion after buying heated gear (12V Coax) in Fall 2019 and an air pump in Spring 2020 (SAE). I added the 12V Coax fused lead which stores under the seat. In the case of my dealer installed fused lead (Battery Tender brand, I believe), I switched the fuse to a 15A unit to support the tire pump. When I replace the battery, I'll move the positive connection of these fused leads to the emergency jumper connection to simplifiy battery removal/install.

Welcome to the forum

I have a coxial harness from my Gerbing heated gear going to my battery.
I use a male coxial to SAE adapter for my battery charger so there's no need to have two harnesses going to the battery.
https://www.amazon.com/Warm-Safe-SAE-COAX-Male-Adapter/dp/B00ZT23BOG

51d7EBqlXEL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Welcome to the forum

I use a male coxial to SAE adapter for my battery charger so there's no need to have two harnesses going to the battery.
https://www.amazon.com/Warm-Safe-SAE-COAX-Male-Adapter/dp/B00ZT23BOG

View attachment 80628

Having now replaced my 30~35 year old Battery Tender, my current inventory of spare SAE fused leads stands at 2, while I only have 1 spare 12V Coax fused lead. Several SAE to alligator clip leads, SAE to DIN, etc.

Sometimes, it's best not to look in the box on the shelf...

Welcome to the forum

I did indeed order the SAE adapter with the heated gear.....I will be excited if it works as simply as I hoped it would. Since I really don't understand electrical issues at all, the fine people on this forum are certainly a great resource.

Update

I ended up purchasing Hotwired branded jacket liner, pants liner and insoles. I also ordered the SAE adapter to connect to the battery tender plug, a 3 foot extension and a Y connector (needed if you plan to use jacket and pants liners). The entire setup draws approximately 11 amps. The battery tender harness on my 2019 K1600 GT was fused with 15 amps.

I rode 12+ hours at highway speeds in 45 degree weather, and the setup worked terrific. No problems powering the gear and I was completely comfortable.

Using the existing battery tender plug was the easiest solution for me and it worked exactly as I had hoped. Thanks for everyone’s input in this thread.

Great :thumb

Thanks for filling us in. Heated gear can be a pleasure, especially when one realizes that it doesn’t mean dressing like the Michelin man to take a ride.
OM

Several of the SAE harnesses I have the maximum amperage inconspicuously cast into the fuse holder.

I ended up purchasing Hotwired branded jacket liner, pants liner and insoles.

You went all in, didn't you! Once you go with heated gear you wonder what took so long to buy it.

I get tempted to buy a heated pants liner, but I get buy just fine with ski bibs and a heated jacket liner and I will ride in just about any temp. Someone was asking about the plug in on my Yamaha R1, I told them it was for my heated jacket and they gave me a weird look and said something to like, Seriously, what was the coldest temps you have ridden it?" -20 F. They figured it was needed!

Measure the actual load (amperage)

My heated gear (gloves and jacket) only draw around 6 amps in the worst case (and are intolerably hot if I were to actually use that high of a heat setting). I suggest that you measure the amperage (actually, it is often easier to measure the resistance and compute the amperage to see what your equipment actually draws. Use 14.5v for calculations.) 11 amps seems really high to me. My gear,

Jacket alone: 3.5 ohms (14.5v/3.5= around 4 amps)

Gloves + Jacket (in parallel): 2.4 ohms (14.5/2.4 = around 6 amps)

Back