• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 RT Seat

PoorUB

I have never gotten completely comfortable on my RT's seat, it slopes to much forward. On the high position it was better, but too tall for my legs. On the low position it sloped forward even worse so I didn't care for that either. I am a cheap bugger and didn't see spending $750 or more for a seat I couldn't try out. On Ebay I ran across these rubber bumpers for the front mount of the seat, They advertise them to lower the seat. They look like the stock mounts, but the center hole is offset so depending how you turn them on the mount they will lower or raise the front of the seat about 3/8". I put the bracket in the low position, and adjusted the rubbers up and put the seat on with the rear supports in the low position. I put on a couple hundred miles yesterday and completely forgot about the seat. I guess it worked! I was always fidgeting, trying to get comfortable, but not yesterday. Best $8 I have ever spent!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Rubber-Rider-Seat-Saddle-Lower-Kit-For-BMW-R1200GS-LC-ADV-R1200RT-LC-14-19/333629614803?hash=item4daddfead3:g:C3sAAOSwUM5e7GHM

Thanks for the heads up! I've had the same issues with my 2016 RT. I'm going to give them a try.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I have never gotten completely comfortable on my RT's seat, it slopes to much forward. On the high position it was better, but too tall for my legs. On the low position it sloped forward even worse so I didn't care for that either. I am a cheap bugger and didn't see spending $750 or more for a seat I couldn't try out. On Ebay I ran across these rubber bumpers for the front mount of the seat, They advertise them to lower the seat. They look like the stock mounts, but the center hole is offset so depending how you turn them on the mount they will lower or raise the front of the seat about 3/8". I put the bracket in the low position, and adjusted the rubbers up and put the seat on with the rear supports in the low position. I put on a couple hundred miles yesterday and completely forgot about the seat. I guess it worked! I was always fidgeting, trying to get comfortable, but not yesterday. Best $8 I have ever spent!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Rubber-Rider-Seat-Saddle-Lower-Kit-For-BMW-R1200GS-LC-ADV-R1200RT-LC-14-19/333629614803?hash=item4daddfead3:g:C3sAAOSwUM5e7GHM

WOW ... sweet !!! Just ordered a set. These remind me of the old Seat Jacks that they used to sell for the 1150's !!

Thanks for sharing!

I bought the Wunderlich set some time ago, and never installed them. One complaint I have heard is that they eventually self-rotate down to the lower position. Hopefully you will update your post with a report of their long-term effectiveness.

cap

I reckon it would be pretty easy to use a lathe and turn up some of the rubber bumpers from nylon. The ebay listing that PoorUB found does not ship to Australia, and the cost of Wunderlich product is outrageous at over $120 Aussie dollars.

My Fix

bobs, what position is the rear of the seat with your dowel in place?

Sorry, not sure what you are asking. The rear still fits in and engages the way it did before. The seat, which to my eye titled forward originally, is now level.

Sorry, not sure what you are asking. The rear still fits in and engages the way it did before. The seat, which to my eye titled forward originally, is now level.

Using this ingenious solution, you could sand down the middle portion of the dowel to sit flat. And with successive small removal of wood, gradually lower the height of the dowel to your preferred comfort level. I think I would use a hardwood dowel for greater strength.

Cap

There is two positions for the rear of the seat depending on if you use the low or high position of the factory front mount.

Never Noticed...

There is two positions for the rear of the seat depending on if you use the low or high position of the factory front mount.
Wow, I never noticed that. :banghead

I'll have to go take a look and report back. I thought the front plate merely changed the tilt of the seat. I'll let you know.

Back