Thread: 2018 RT Seat

2018 RT Seat

I have never gotten completely comfortable on my RT's seat, it slopes to much forward. On the high position it was better, but too tall for my legs. On the low position it sloped forward even worse so I didn't care for that either. I am a cheap bugger and didn't see spending $750 or more for a seat I couldn't try out. On Ebay I ran across these rubber bumpers for the front mount of the seat, They advertise them to lower the seat. They look like the stock mounts, but the center hole is offset so depending how you turn them on the mount they will lower or raise the front of the seat about 3/8". I put the bracket in the low position, and adjusted the rubbers up and put the seat on with the rear supports in the low position. I put on a couple hundred miles yesterday and completely forgot about the seat. I guess it worked! I was always fidgeting, trying to get comfortable, but not yesterday. Best $8 I have ever spent!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Rubber-R...sAAOSwUM5e7GHM
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Looks like you got a bargain. Same thing from Wunderlich is much pricier: https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/se...tment-set.html
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Thanks for the heads up! I've had the same issues with my 2016 RT. I'm going to give them a try.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Looks like you got a bargain. Same thing from Wunderlich is much pricier: https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/se...tment-set.html

Holy smokes! They know what they want for Wunderlich packaging! Looks like the same thing.

Piece of dowel ...

This is what I did and I think it raises the front of the seat higher than the rubber bumpers.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ent&highlight=

It's been in use now for over a year and still works great.
    Bob
    2014 R1200RT

bobs, what position is the rear of the seat with your dowel in place?

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I have never gotten completely comfortable on my RT's seat, it slopes to much forward. On the high position it was better, but too tall for my legs. On the low position it sloped forward even worse so I didn't care for that either. I am a cheap bugger and didn't see spending $750 or more for a seat I couldn't try out. On Ebay I ran across these rubber bumpers for the front mount of the seat, They advertise them to lower the seat. They look like the stock mounts, but the center hole is offset so depending how you turn them on the mount they will lower or raise the front of the seat about 3/8". I put the bracket in the low position, and adjusted the rubbers up and put the seat on with the rear supports in the low position. I put on a couple hundred miles yesterday and completely forgot about the seat. I guess it worked! I was always fidgeting, trying to get comfortable, but not yesterday. Best $8 I have ever spent!

WOW ... sweet !!! Just ordered a set. These remind me of the old Seat Jacks that they used to sell for the 1150's !!

Thanks for sharing!
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

... seat, it slopes to much forward. ...I put on a couple hundred miles yesterday ...
    I bought the Wunderlich set some time ago, and never installed them. One complaint I have heard is that they eventually self-rotate down to the lower position. Hopefully you will update your post with a report of their long-term effectiveness.

cap

I reckon it would be pretty easy to use a lathe and turn up some of the rubber bumpers from nylon. The ebay listing that PoorUB found does not ship to Australia, and the cost of Wunderlich product is outrageous at over $120 Aussie dollars.

Found on Amazon

My Fix

bobs, what position is the rear of the seat with your dowel in place?
    Sorry, not sure what you are asking. The rear still fits in and engages the way it did before. The seat, which to my eye titled forward originally, is now level.
    Bob
    2014 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by bobs_one View Post
    Sorry, not sure what you are asking. The rear still fits in and engages the way it did before. The seat, which to my eye titled forward originally, is now level.
    Using this ingenious solution, you could sand down the middle portion of the dowel to sit flat. And with successive small removal of wood, gradually lower the height of the dowel to your preferred comfort level. I think I would use a hardwood dowel for greater strength.

Cap

Quote Originally Posted by bobs_one View Post
    There is two positions for the rear of the seat depending on if you use the low or high position of the factory front mount.

Never Noticed...

There is two positions for the rear of the seat depending on if you use the low or high position of the factory front mount.
    Wow, I never noticed that.

I'll have to go take a look and report back. I thought the front plate merely changed the tilt of the seat. I'll let you know.
    Bob
    2014 R1200RT