Thread: Schulgleiter

Schulgleiter

I just thought this was cool:

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I just thought this was cool:

Harry
    For 40-yrs I've been promising myself I'll stop at the Glider Museum near Elmira......
    Last edited by 36654; 09-27-2020 at 10:25 AM.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    For 40-yrs I've been promising myself I stop at the Glider Museum near Elmira......
    I've been there a half dozen times or more - it's a little over an hour from my house. I like to watch gliders. They fly out of the airfield in Dansville, NY, as well.

Harry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DFS_SG_38_Schulgleiter

Wow, pilots learned to fly on that thing.

Harry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DFS_SG_38_Schulgleiter

Wow, pilots learned to fly on that thing.

Harry
    According to Wikipedia, the Schweizer Bros started with a copy of the DFS_SG_38 called the Schweizer SGP 1-1. Apparently, there's a replica at the National Soaring Museum.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Very cool find Harry
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

My poker hobby has been locked down tight. My grandkids saw my RC planes hanging up in my basement and have been bugging me to fly, so I am back into flying RC. Helicopters are too complicated to fly so I'll stick with the fixed wing aircraft. I was nervous flying a new plane with a new, fancy radio, and the fact that I hadn't flown RC in twenty years. I managed to keep my new plane in one piece with nice, no-bound landings, so I haven't forgotten how to fly...

Harry

My poker hobby has been locked down tight. My grandkids saw my RC planes hanging up in my basement and have been bugging me to fly, so I am back into flying RC. Helicopters are too complicated to fly so I'll stick with the fixed wing aircraft. I was nervous flying a new plane with a new, fancy radio, and the fact that I hadn't flown RC in twenty years. I managed to keep my new plane in one piece with nice, no-bound landings, so I haven't forgotten how to fly...

Harry
    According the wikipedia site for the Schweizer SGP 1.1, the brothers started out a model airplane club. After reading about the German glider, they descided to take on a larger model

That is a very basic glider for sure.

I've logged hundreds of flights with the Royal Canadian Air Cadets.in what are now considered old gliders but are a lot more modern than that. Mainly Schweizer models, the SGS 2-22 and SGS 2-33s which they still use. Gliding was always so much more fun for me than powered flight, just the wind noise and much more natural feeling. Haven't piloted anything though in 25 years.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

how does one learn to fly something like this? Surely they don't just strap in and take off?

Also, how was it done in "the day"? Probably just strapped in and they shot you up with a bungie!
    John.
    Atwater, CA
    2015 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by jstrube View Post
    how does one learn to fly something like this? Surely they don't just strap in and take off?

Also, how was it done in "the day"? Probably just strapped in and they shot you up with a bungie!
    Back in the day, there was a nice display at the technical museum in Munich on the topic. I think you can find videos of Catapult or tow-vehicle launches on the web.

Harris Hill, Elmira, NY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oZ_MO8g7jo