• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rocker arm adjust

hadabadachada

Hello again. Two questions.
Any have the left side cam adjuster come loose? I’ve had to tighten mine several times. After another two months, I noticed a little oil seeping again, is this normal or am I just not getting enough torque on it?

And the rocker arms.
My bike is super noisy from the heads, adjusted the valves last month, no change in noise, not that I thought there would be. I’m looking to adjust the rocker arm gap tomorrow, followed by the valves again. The power on the bike is fine I have no issues other than it being super loud clackity clacking.

I’ve found a few pages on the web that give a little run down but still not sure.
Says you loosen the 3 T45 bolts, as well as the one nut, or is there two?
Then checking the gap, you check the gap on the bottom of the rocker arm from what I’ve gathered right?
Then fiddle with tightening. You tighten the torx bolts first or the nut?

Appreciate any pointers. Have a Trip from Miami to Asheville next week. Looking to mosey out to the dragon as well as ride the blue ridge. Be nice if the bike was quieter.

I’m looking at the parts diagram...Maybe I’m using the wrong names.
Am I trying to adjust the cam shaft supporting bracket?

For the tensioner you should get and install a new crush washer.

Believe i will do that today after work, worth the dollar and change. Who knows if the previous owner replaced his when he did the tensioner swap, because it does look like it’s the 17mm head. They say the original is 15mm? I have no idea if I’m getting the right torque with this wrench. I mean it’s only like 25ft lbs I think. Worth trying a new crush washer at least.

15mm, I knew I had the updated one just forgot the size. Got the washer after work, did the job, the thing was loose, hardly any force to get it spinning off, guess I just have to watch it. Feels like I’m wrenching it on hard we will see, likes to vibrate loose I guess.

May go for the rocker arm gaps tomorrow, not too sure though. Forgot it’s the distinguished gentlemen’s ride, plan to take part in it.

Opened up the heads, valve clearance is good, rocker arm clearance was mid range, loosened and tried to adjust the right side, don’t even know if I was able to really shrink the gap, interesting job. Loosen measure tighten measure loosen measure tighten measure. I left the right side the best I could, gaps were about .15 intake and .17ish exhaust, so on the lower side of the slot. Checked the left again, they were at just about the same gaps so I didn’t even touch it.

Makes me think all the rattling is something else.

Just keep riding I guess, It’s my everyday ride, I put on nearly 2000 miles a month, noise is just a little annoying but not too too bad.

What spec are you setting the valve clearances to?
With the engine Dead Cold, intake should be 0.006" and exhaust 0.012"; I set mine "just a hair" loose (tho some on this forum argue against that).
Are you familiar with what that clearance should actually "feel" like with the gauge in place? Should be just a bit of drag, not sloppy easy. It's also a good idea to do to both intakes, and both exhausts, at the same time to minimize the rocker arm's "tilt" on the rocker shaft. Verify that the line on the cam sprocket is exactly horizontal when doing this adjustment.

There have also been a few bikes that have had their pushrods' end caps slip out of the pushrod end - I don't think you can see that without pulling the rocker arm. There is a newer version of the pushrods to replace them with if that is the problem.

If there is any issue with "who did the tensioner swap", maybe pull it and verify that all the parts are there and it looks like the pictures in other Oilhead threads here.

Intakes are .15mm and exhaust .3mm with the feelers from beemer boneyard. I put the feelers in there wherever they’d slide, and they do.
I set the gaps so all 4 feelers are held barely steady, so I’d say they may be ever so slightly loose. For if they loose their balance they’ll fall out with the heavy handles.
I did the valves last month, but rechecked while doing the work today.

The goal today was to get rid of the tapping noise. If I’m following the write ups I found online about the rocker arm gaps, they should be measured at the bottom of the arm right? Loosen the 3 torx bolts and the one head nut, measure the gap between the two and retighten?

It sounds like I may have gotten rid of some of the noise, doesn’t seem as loud now. But maybe it’s all in my head
I watched some YouTube about the pushrods. I guess that’d be the next thing to check if anything. But I’m satisfied with today’s study.

The tensioner had a silver crush washer, that was really a pain in the ass to get off. Almost thought it was part of the part, till I looked up photos and verified. Maybe an old style washer? Shrug. Replaced with the copper BMW washer.
096E3CE1-943E-4D21-B481-C9E0FA969B72.jpeg

Back