Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Distance until empty value after filling with fuel. (2011 RT)?

Distance until empty value after filling with fuel. (2011 RT)?

OK,
    New to me bike. 2011 R1200RT
    I have been waiting until the light comes on to fill it with fuel.
    I notice that when I fill it with fuel, the distance until empty value does not immediately update.

The number creeps up slowly for the next 5-10 minutes/miles until it eventually reads 260 or thereabouts.

Is that normal? I would have expected it to immediately change while I am filling it, or certainly on the next restart.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    2011 R1200RT

Westcoastkevin,

I'm pretty sure this is normal. I have a 2013 RT (same generation as your 2011) and noticed that upon fill up, the fuel guage would stay where it was before I fueled. It would then creep up until it showed full. Similarly, the miles-to-empty would increment up until I had 260-270 miles. I believe the reason for this is that the miles-to-empty calculation is based on your average miles-per-gallon. This changes as you ride, so yes, the miles-to-empty will change also.

Cheers,
    Mark

+1 it's normal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    2010 R1200RT
    Sargent Low Heated Driver Seat
    2007 Burgman 400 - Sold
    Now DFW, TX, used to live - Vancouver, BC

My 2011 RT does about the same thing. The miles-to-empty takes a few minutes of riding after filling the tank to settle at about 320+/- miles to go.

Quote Originally Posted by kmellzey View Post
    Westcoastkevin,

I'm pretty sure this is normal. I have a 2013 RT (same generation as your 2011) and noticed that upon fill up, the fuel guage would stay where it was before I fueled. It would then creep up until it showed full. Similarly, the miles-to-empty would increment up until I had 260-270 miles. I believe the reason for this is that the miles-to-empty calculation is based on your average miles-per-gallon. This changes as you ride, so yes, the miles-to-empty will change also.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Same on my 2009 but my miles till empty after fill-up is normally around 305.
    Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun...but Mama, that's where the fun is!

2009 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic (aka Champipple), 2007 Honda VFR RWB

Thank you everybody. I will not give it another thought then.
    Kevin
    2011 R1200RT

Ah yes. "They all do that."
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

On my 2008 RT, I'd set the #2 odometer to zero at every fill-up. I'd figure I'd need to get fuel somewhere after 250 miles had elapsed. I thought the bike's determination was always pessimistic in terms of range.

Of course, when you see the right kind of sign (this photo at the Utah/Nevada border), you might have to re-think:

IMG_1594.jpeg
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    BMW CCA Ombudsman 2009-Present

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    On my 2008 RT, I'd set the #2 odometer to zero at every fill-up. I'd figure I'd need to get fuel somewhere after 250 miles had elapsed. I thought the bike's determination was always pessimistic in terms of range.

Of course, when you see the right kind of sign (this photo at the Utah/Nevada border), you might have to re-think:

IMG_1594.jpeg
    This ^^^^^^^
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

And youíll see almost exactly that same sign on UT95 heading southeast from Hanksville, UT on the scenic byway past Bears Ears Natíl Monument, Frye Canyon, and Natural Bridges Natíl Monument. Lots of lonely roads in UT and NV, and when you add in places that are on the map but have NO services, like Warm Springs in NV, you really need to make sure your fuel management game is up to par.

On both my BMWs with fuel gauges and remaining miles indicators the distance remaining indicator will rise during the first 15 miles or so after a fill-up and be fairly accurate from there on. Some of it may be due to a slightly sticky float assembly, part is certainly due to the fuel monitoring system recognizing a fresh fill and re-calculating based on present rate of consumption.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S-PD ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT ó 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Where we live, south of Alpine, Texas it is 80 miles between the last fuel station in Alpine and the only fuel station in Study Butte. And going either direction there is NO SIGN. Our house is 26 miles north of Study Butte and 54 miles from the station in Alpine. We get occasional folks needing to use a phone since there is no cell coverage. I usually just give them gas.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 KenDittrick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Where we live, south of Alpine, Texas it is 80 miles between the last fuel station in Alpine and the only fuel station in Study Butte. And going either direction there is NO SIGN. Our house is 26 miles north of Study Butte and 54 miles from the station in Alpine. We get occasional folks needing to use a phone since there is no cell coverage. I usually just give them gas.
    Nice!
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastkevin View Post
    OK,
    New to me bike. 2011 R1200RT
    I have been waiting until the light comes on to fill it with fuel.
    I notice that when I fill it with fuel, the distance until empty value does not immediately update.

The number creeps up slowly for the next 5-10 minutes/miles until it eventually reads 260 or thereabouts.

Is that normal? I would have expected it to immediately change while I am filling it, or certainly on the next restart.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    I have a 2010 RT and I ran out of gas immediately after the light came on. Fortunately I coasted off of the interstate into a gas station. It said I had over 40 miles to empty. Don't rely on it.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    And youíll see almost exactly that same sign on UT95 heading southeast from Hanksville, UT on the scenic byway past Bears Ears Natíl Monument, Frye Canyon, and Natural Bridges Natíl Monument. Lots of lonely roads in UT and NV, and when you add in places that are on the map but have NO services, like Warm Springs in NV, you really need to make sure your fuel management game is up to par.
    Stopped and fueled in Hanksville Friday afternoon... yeah, prior to and afterwards better have a tank full!
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Well, that trip meter is probably more accurate than the fuel gauge.

Most of the time your bike gets the same mpg.

Reset a trip meter to zero every time you fill up and be conservative.

Forget the fuel gauge.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S