• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire Pressure Gauge Preference?

jpdicarlo

Due to covid-induced boredom, I recently dug out some of my old air pressure gages, and ran some back-to-back measurements, comparing them to the current favorite. Readings were all over the place.
Some of the pencil styled gages had obviously gone bad with readings off by 10-15 PSI. Tossed them. But some of the newer, preferred gages also didn't agree very well; differences of 3-4 PSI.
Since retiring, I've lost my access to a commercial gage calibration machine, so I'm at the mercy of whatever gage I decide to use.

Wondering what you guys do? Do you have gages that you like and trust?

I bought a inflator tool that connects to an air hose. I was not impressed with the gauge and replaced it with a Weiss liquid filled gauge with 2% accuracy.

On the bike I carry a cheapy that is probably way off. I usually trust the on board tire pressure monitoring.

This gage has been rated as one of the most accurate by Consumer Reports for multiple years. It is inexpensive and the two I have have lasted for five years. It is difficult to use on GS spoked wheels.

Accutire MS-4021R Digital Tire Pressure Gauge

https://smile.amazon.com/Accutire-M...gital&qid=1601001631&sprefix=accu+tire&sr=8-3

I also have a CyclePump gage with a 90 degree chuck. I keep it by my tire changer. BestRest will calibrate the gage for $10, which basically covers the return postage. This gage and the Accutire gages are normally within a one PSI of each other.

https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/c...edition-tire-inflator/cyclepump-ez-air-gauge/

On my bike I carry a Longacre 52-52002 Liquid Filled 2-1/2 Tire Gauge, 0-60 psi. It is easy to use and seems accurate to within 1 or 2 PSI

https://smile.amazon.com/Longacre-R...+gauge&qid=1601002509&sprefix=longacre&sr=8-4

You can chase your tail round and round trying to get the perfectly accurate pressure in your tires. I try to have gages that are close to each other in their readings and then just go with it.

I carry a Milton S-925 Pencil Tire Gauge in both cars and the RT, with an Accu-Gage with hose and clip-on chuck in the shop - all analog. Tested against a large volume tractor tire, they all read within a pound of each other. Dad's old Milton (circa 1960) with the chrome worn down to brass is off by about three pounds and is now comfortably retired with some of his other tools.

I don't worry too much about having the numbers match exactly between gauges. I use each vehicle's gauge exclusively on that vehicle, set the pressure at the manufacturer's recommendation, and then adjust it by a few psi if I find it necessary after observing wear and handling - that gives me the correct number for that vehicle with that gauge. A gauge that gives inconsistent readings gets tossed.

I carry a Milton S-925 Pencil Tire Gauge in both cars and the RT, with an Accu-Gage with hose and clip-on chuck in the shop - all analog.

I use the same two gauges. Accu-Gauge at home Milton on the road.
Most of the time on trips I go by the TPM.
Before a trip I check both bikes at home and when we leave the house I check my TPM display and ask what Debbie's is showing. Each morning when we head out I check the display and if they are within 2 PSI of what they were at home I call it good.
This July when we left on a trip it was 90 F in my garage when I checked the tires. Since the TPM compensates to 68F I had to make adjustments the first two days and after that the pressures stayed the same for two week.

Earlier this month it was 69F in the garage when I checked the tires before leaving on a trip. In two weeks I only added 2 PSI once to Debbie's front tire.

The three cars we have owned that display a TPM readout agree with my Accu-Gauge.

My Accu-Gauge looks like this but has a smooth rubber cover.
https://smile.amazon.com/Accu-Gage-...1601045027&sprefix=accu-gauge,aps,304&sr=8-13

+1 on the Accutire MS-4021R Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
I've got 3 of them and they all read the same. I've never checked them with a calibrated device but the reviews are mostly very positive.

Maybe they can have a calibration station at the rally next year, and a guess your error contest.

One year at the Kansas Rally I just had to play with my new remote sensing infra red thermometer. Voni was staffing the registration table so I shot tire temperatures as the bikes arrived. Then we checked air pressure for the ones that were abnormally warm. The record was the guy with 8 psi but he had old Continental tires with a sidewall so stiff it almost seemed like he didn't need air in the tires. One guy was about 10 pounds low in the rear tire but had right at 60 psi in the front. They all made it to the rally and as far as I ever heard they all made it home too.

Some years ago I tested my work neighbor who was sure he could inflate tires by eye. I randomly deflated his car tires and handed him the air hose. The results were both amusing to both of us and overwhelmingly conclusive: he needed to use a tire gauge.

The feature that I like on the Best Rest Gauge that if a station's inflator will not reach your tire valve, you simply place the BR on the valve and then hookup the station's hose to your BR to inflate the tire. My Best Rest Gauge came in handy for a friend who was unable to hook the station hose to his rear tire valve. :thumb

I am not certain if the tire gauges mentioned above have that feature.

The feature that I like on the Best Rest Gauge that if a station's inflator will not reach your tire valve, you simply place the BR on the valve and then hookup the station's hose to your BR to inflate the tire. My Best Rest Gauge came in handy for a friend who was unable to hook the station hose to his rear tire valve. :thumb

After I bought Voni this gauge she was so happy that she no longer just changed the air in her tires. :)

I carry a flexible extension and use it to screw onto the valve stem. Then use my Rhino armored gauge attached to the extension. I use 90 degree valve stems and in this way I'm not putting any lateral forces on the stem with an inflator.

Back