• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Portland to LA

bob_m

Down I-5 from Portland, it started raining in Eugene. At a gas station in Grants Pass I asked the pump jockey the condition of the 4100' pass. He said that he made that call 50 times a day, and that it was snowing with patches of ice. He seemed like a smarmy punk, so I rode around until I found a cop, and he replied that the pass was wet, with blowing snow. I went over the pass. (Thank you St. Gerbing) At Yreka I went on hwy 3 to Fort Jones and over an even higher pass (5100' - wet, with patches of slush, blowing snow) to Weaverville. I continued to get rain poured on me so I tied back into I-5 at Redding and rode down to Santa Nella for a burger and a couple of beers and a hotel room.

Santa Nella to Holister, then hwy 25 through the Pinacles area to Coalinga. Down 33 through the oil fields and then took a magnificent road to To Tejon Pass and Gorman back on I-5. Found another back road through fire damaged oak woodlands past Lake Hughs and to Hwy 14 then Angeles Forest Hwy to Angeles Crest Hwy and into LA. I have work here for a couple of weeks. And I need new tires. :thumb

Bob, If you need a place to crash on the way back let me know. We'll put you up for the night. You are also welcome to stay as long as you want to landscape the yard.

Bob_M said:
Santa Nella to Holister, then hwy 25 through the Pinacles area to Coalinga. Down 33 through the oil fields and then took a magnificent road to To Tejon Pass and Gorman back on I-5.

Oh man, I *love* that road. The only problem I have is the lure of the dirtroads heading off in various directions. Sometime I never make it to the oil fields.

Ian

(would love to see some pics!)

Bob_M said:
Down 33 through the oil fields and then took a magnificent road to To Tejon Pass and Gorman back on I-5.
Probably Cerro Noroeste Rd. It *is* a good one!

Found another back road through fire damaged oak woodlands past Lake Hughs and to Hwy 14 then Angeles Forest Hwy to Angeles Crest Hwy and into LA. I have work here for a couple of weeks. And I need new tires. :thumb
Excellent choice of roads!

While you're in LA, get out to the west, into the Santa Monica mountains. Let me suggest just about any of the roads there, including Old Topanga Cyn., Fernwood Pacific Rd./Tuna Cyn. (must come at it from Topanga, it's one way downhill at the bottom), Stunt Rd., Rambla Pacifia, Piuma Rd., Latigo Cyn., Decker Cyn., Yerba Buena Rd. and Deer Creek Rd.

Bob,
I'm jealous! I'm stuck on a boat surrounded by ocean while you're enjoying that beautiful RS!
Have Fun,
Chris

Not much of a "Shutterbug"

I take a lot of mental snapshots but few photos, and I don't have a digital camera anyway. The Stich is great, no I mean really really great. When my old one blew out and Kbasa asked if it was still waterproof I looked at him in amazement and wonder that such a thing could be possible. I don't know what route I will be taking north, but I will have new tires :heart and I have not been on the Sur coast for a long time. I will post a tentative agenda and prepare potential hosts for possible freeloaders (thanks Burnszilla - Free landscape advice is worth just what your pay for it!)
Regarding weekend rides through the Malibu Mts, My sister/hostess has me on shovel duty over the weekend. :wave

Sur Coast

I plan to be at the Chevron Station in Morro Bay at 11:00 on Saturday - Tomorrow. Anyone care to ride up the Big Sur Coast Tomorrow? Be Advised I will stop to take pictures. My pace is a little extra-legal, but SFDOC would say I am not a fast rider. :wave

Bob_M said:
I plan to be at the Chevron Station in Morro Bay at 11:00 on Saturday - Tomorrow. Anyone care to ride up the Big Sur Coast Tomorrow? Be Advised I will stop to take pictures. My pace is a little extra-legal, but SFDOC would say I am not a fast rider. :wave

'scusea me? You haul on the flat and sweepy, it's those hair-pin twisties those skinny little tires you have that make you slow down. :D

:nyah

Bob, have a safe trip home. :wave

Not really

SFDOC said:
'scusea me? You haul on the flat and sweepy, it's those hair-pin twisties those skinny little tires you have that make you slow down.
The tilt-O-meter (between my ears) seems to be set much more conservatly than the tires.

As an aside. Yesterday I was running to work in a car (1986 Mercedes 560 SEL) at about 6:30 AM. Running about 80 in the fast lane when right there in LA 2 hay bales showed up in the lights right in front of me. A reflex evasive move was followed by a gut wrenching rush of adreline and a flush of sweat. I know someone must of hit them, but I dodged em. :wave

Bob_M said:
The tilt-O-meter (between my ears) seems to be set much more conservatly than the tires.

As an aside. Yesterday I was running to work in a car (1986 Mercedes 560 SEL) at about 6:30 AM. Running about 80 in the fast lane when right there in LA 2 hay bales showed up in the lights right in front of me. A reflex evasive move was followed by a gut wrenching rush of adreline and a flush of sweat. I know someone must of hit them, but I dodged em. :wave

Did you attempt to countersteer? :lol

Bob_M said:

DITTO: Except it was 8' 4X4 laying lengthwise between the #1 and #2 lanes. I swerved away from it like an instinct, but still glad i was in a SUV that could survive that kind hit.

There was nothing I could do and even hoped some one else had called it in the State Patrol

Bob_M said:

A cool spot to stop for a refreshment in Big Sur is the Fernwood Resort.

Burnszilla said:
Bob, If you need a place to crash on the way back let me know. We'll put you up for the night. You are also welcome to stay as long as you want to landscape the yard.

:type ... ok, we're back to your coast in 2007 and this isn't the first time we've seen this 'sweat equity' offer. So get ready! 'Cause, y'see, we know that the 2007 BMWMOA rally is in your back yard. ok?? :laugh -Bob

tourunigo said:
:type ... ok, we're back to your coast in 2007 and this isn't the first time we've seen this 'sweat equity' offer. So get ready! 'Cause, y'see, we know that the 2007 BMWMOA rally is in your back yard. ok?? :laugh -Bob

Where?

tourunigo said:
LOL..... :laugh .... anyway, we think it will be so can we stay or not?
Fellow Canucks are always welcome, eh. Actually, our home is open to all MOA members who want to come and stay with us. It keeps things interesting. :)

Burnszilla said:
Fellow Canucks are always welcome, eh. Actually, our home is open to all MOA members who want to come and stay with us. It keeps things interesting. :)

...thanks. maybe we meet up in Vermont for a pint or two? :drink -Bob and Mary (BTY we loved our past travels through California and look forward to a slower run through in 2007....)

Portland to LA?

This is my first time posting and I'm looking to see if there is anyone interested in doing a ride at the end of September starting in Portland, OR to LA for 9 days. I'll be hitting the highlights of Butler Maps, Northern & Southern California. Thx

Back