• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200RT LH combination switch repair

srmRT

My 2011 R1200RT LH turn signal quit working yesterday, RH works fine, flashers work fine, bulbs are good. My Haynes manual shows that the LH combination switch can be opened up by dropping the bottom half, which appears to snap into place, giving limited access to the inside of the switch for possibly cleaning any contact areas for debris or corrosion and for unplugging the wiring connections. After removing the screw behind the flange on the rubber hand grip, I tried to open it up as described but it doesn't want to come apart easily so I stopped for fear of breaking it. It doesn't look like there is any way to get to any contacts for cleaning even if I can get it opened up. I am also not sure that any cleaning of contact areas would fix anything as the problem may not be just dirty contacts but something else rendering the switch unrepairable.

Both LH and RH combo switches were replaced on this bike under warranty, with the LH one being done in 2014.

I imagine I will have to replace the entire switch $$$ and would appreciate any experienced thoughts or suggestions before I proceed with buying one. Thanks.

Steve

Edit: Prior to posting I used the search function with every conceivable phrasing of the problem, with no results. As soon as I posted this, I saw several "similar threads" appear at the bottom of the page. After reading these, I doubt that there is any way to correct my problem other than replacing the switch. However, I will still appreciate any further thoughts from other members. Thanks.

I don't have any answers for you, but they replaced my LH switchgear on my '13 RT a few years ago and the ESA button is already sticking and won't spring back when I press it. I haven't had time to delve into it, but I wish they had let me keep my old switch gear when they replaced it!

Thanks natrab,

From what I read I don't think the switch is conducive to "repair" based on its design. I think I will try to blow some air through it, which won't cost much and probably won't help much either.

I am fortunate to have a good dealer about 20 miles away, so I guess I will end up having then replace it if no better solution comes up.
I am too old to keep sticking my left arm out sideways when I want to turn left.

Thanks again for the response.

Back