• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

how to hold flywheel still while removing clutch bolts?

RANDY16276

Hello,

I am a long time member of MOA. haven't posted much. I am not a super experienced wrench.

I decided to refresh my 1976 R75/6. I have heads and cylinders off and waiting for heads back from machine shop. Boxerworks has my final drive and swingarm.
Matt Parkhouse just went through the tranny.

I want to replace rear main seal.

I am aware of blocking the crank and and needing to release clutch slowly and evenly.

My question is: how to hold the flywheel still while removing the clutch bolts?

please be patient. This IS my first rodeo.

thank you,

Randy

I simply made myself a flywheel holder from a piece of 1" wide steel bar about 1/16" thick and about 6 inches long with a hole drilled near each end. The clutch housing bolts are fairly easy to remove with a stout whack of the palm of your hand to start so I remove them carefully. I then attach my steel bar stock with one end attached to the flywheel with a clutch housing bolt and the other end to the block using one of the transmission mounting bolts. Then the flywheel bolts may be removed. Note that the heads of the flywheel bolts are very shallow. Most sockets are chamfered at the front edge leaving very little to actually engage the bolt head. A socket that has been machined to remove the chamfered edge so it engages 100% with the bolt heads is very useful.

You might

Randy, it is good you have looked up how to do the replacement.

I would suggest before you install the seal, you invest in one of the tools on the market now to do the task properly.

Of all the seals on the airhead engine, the rear main seal is the hardest to install without a tool to assure proper alignment and final installation depth.

You can find the tool at a few of the vendors now. Believe me, it is worth paying for it. This is one seal you don't want to install incorrectly or have to replace twice.

Good luck. St.

Hello,

I am a long time member of MOA. haven't posted much. I am not a super experienced wrench.

I decided to refresh my 1976 R75/6. I have heads and cylinders off and waiting for heads back from machine shop. Boxerworks has my final drive and swingarm.
Matt Parkhouse just went through the tranny.

I want to replace rear main seal.

I am aware of blocking the crank and and needing to release clutch slowly and evenly.

My question is: how to hold the flywheel still while removing the clutch bolts?

please be patient. This IS my first rodeo.

thank you,

Randy

There are a couple other maintenance issues you might want to check while you have the flywheel removed, like the oil pump o-ring. There are some technical articles on Snowbum’s website that you may find informative and useful—just be patient and persistent while wading through the site. https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/technical-articles-list.htm

Best,
DeVern

Back