• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The new M class

Computers can't change the laws of physics. Last night a guy in my town driving a McLaren cut his life short because he believed they can.

correct, but computers enable clueless drivers to violate those laws at a MUCH higher velocity than they could without. as a high performance driving instructor, i get to ride with those drivers on tracks. i can feel the computers constantly saving the blissfully ignorant drivers turn after turn. obviously that results in some education with the students after the session...if i don't cut it short. new car capabilities are amazing, but they mask lack of basic skills.

correct, but computers enable clueless drivers to violate those laws at a MUCH higher velocity than they could without. as a high performance driving instructor, i get to ride with those drivers on tracks. i can feel the computers constantly saving the blissfully ignorant drivers turn after turn. obviously that results in some education with the students after the session...if i don't cut it short. new car capabilities are amazing, but they mask lack of basic skills.

I'm not sure newer cars mask "basic" skills. But they could certainly "assist" when the going gets brisk. As someone who grew up with a basic H-pattern 4-speed and then progressed to a 5 and then 6 speed and then paddles, I can certainly appreciate the potential of the newer vehicles. I would not turn off the TC in my 460hp sports car for all the tea in China. :laugh

Is part of your program turning off all driver aids and then letting 'em loose on the track? Might be a way for someone to quickly learn their limits! :D

I'm not sure newer cars mask "basic" skills. But they could certainly "assist" when the going gets brisk. As someone who grew up with a basic H-pattern 4-speed and then progressed to a 5 and then 6 speed and then paddles, I can certainly appreciate the potential of the newer vehicles. I would not turn off the TC in my 460hp sports car for all the tea in China. :laugh

Is part of your program turning off all driver aids and then letting 'em loose on the track? Might be a way for someone to quickly learn their limits! :D

you learned the right way. current crop of drivers learned......on a video game. no consequences for errors. cars today are like video games to them. computers correct most all mistakes. ham fisted steering inputs, binary throttle usage, mid corner shifting, jamming brakes, etc...all fixed by the computers. driver needs zero basic skills. so much easier to teach high performance driving in a bmw 2002. errors show early, often and at a much slower pace.

lol..liability issues with turning off the aids. and i don't want to be in a 500hp car with a newbie driver and no controls. would be nice if drivers were required to show basic skills in an old Miata before being allowed to buy modern sports cars! :)

you learned the right way. current crop of drivers learned......on a video game. no consequences for errors. cars today are like video games to them. computers correct most all mistakes. ham fisted steering inputs, binary throttle usage, mid corner shifting, jamming brakes, etc...all fixed by the computers. driver needs zero basic skills. so much easier to teach high performance driving in a bmw 2002. errors show early, often and at a much slower pace.

lol..liability issues with turning off the aids. and i don't want to be in a 500hp car with a newbie driver and no controls. would be nice if drivers were required to show basic skills in an old Miata before being allowed to buy modern sports cars! :)

European kart racing?

I would never suggest you accompany a student in a no-driver's-aids ride around the track - unless you had a big insurance policy with my name on it! :laugh

I am a geezer. So for me it is a sad, sad day when we anticipate, nee expect, technology to do for us that which we fail at doing for ourselves. Technology can be wonderful or it can be dreadful. Antenna anti-theft rings anybody? How is that HES working out for you? How well do you like that limp home mode? The car braking instead of the driver breaking- rear end collisions anyone? Does that self driving semi know what a motorcycle is? I could go on but would just be boring the technocrats and confounding the true Luddites. As always, YMMV.:scratch:dunno

The best part of my town doesn't have a McLaren:blush

While sitting outside having lunch TWO drove by yesterday, orange and obnoxious green that had to rev engine. Not my town and a pretty view of the Pacific.

I’m not anti gizmo, just think everyone shouldn’t be given the privilege to drive.

While sitting outside having lunch TWO drove by yesterday, orange and obnoxious green that had to rev engine. Not my town and a pretty view of the Pacific.

I’m not anti gizmo, just think everyone shouldn’t be given the privilege to drive.

Gizmo stuff is great, but I do enjoy many of the elemental pleasures of driving. Of course, a 6-speed transmission in the 300-hp car is a bit of a toy....you can easily do 60 in 3rd.

But, over the weekend, I took a ride up towards the PA/NY border which is basically twisty country roads thru rolling hills. On one the nice up hill runs I found myself behind an old cloth top CJ5 driven by an older fellow. Now, with the little four banger engine, the older fellow didn't miss a shift and kept the thing right at the speed limit. He was working it. Every turn required at least one down shift to maintain speed.

Yes, I was frustrated and wanted to go faster, but it was no passing for the length of the run, which I may have completed by shifting from 3rd to 4th once or twice.

I'm pretty sure the older fellow enjoyed his run than I would have enjoyed mine..........

Nate Kern and the M 1000 RR at Morton's BMW!

The M 1000 RR is coming, and so is Nate Kern!

Join us on Tuesday, January 19, between 4-8 pm for a look at the new M 1000 RR superbike with BMW brand ambassador and racing legend Nate Kern!

Nate, an old friend of Morton's BMW, was involved in the development of the new M bike. He'll be here for an exclusive first appearance in the mid-Atlantic region of the highest-performance bike BMW has ever built. This very exclusive and race-ready new sport bike will be joined by an S 1000 RR Race as Nate takes you through the design, performance, features, and packages that will come on the M RR.

Coinciding with Nate's appearance at Morton's, BMW will be launching an exclusive pre-order program for those ready to step up to this level of performance. Jeff Massey and Steve Anderson will be on hand to ensure your order and deposit is registered with BMW and your name is put on a bike for delivery this spring.

This event will be Covid-compliant, and all participants will be required to wear face coverings and practice social distancing as much as possible.

If you'd like to attend, please send an email with your RSVP to sales@mortonsbmw.com. We look forward to seeing you on January 19!

Steve Anderson
Sales & Marketing Manager
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
sales@mortonsbmw.com
www.mortonsbmw.com

The M 1000 RR is coming, and so is Nate Kern!

Join us on Tuesday, January 19, between 4-8 pm for a look at the new M 1000 RR superbike with BMW brand ambassador and racing legend Nate Kern!

Nate, an old friend of Morton's BMW, was involved in the development of the new M bike. He'll be here for an exclusive first appearance in the mid-Atlantic region of the highest-performance bike BMW has ever built. This very exclusive and race-ready new sport bike will be joined by an S 1000 RR Race as Nate takes you through the design, performance, features, and packages that will come on the M RR.

Coinciding with Nate's appearance at Morton's, BMW will be launching an exclusive pre-order program for those ready to step up to this level of performance. Jeff Massey and Steve Anderson will be on hand to ensure your order and deposit is registered with BMW and your name is put on a bike for delivery this spring.

This event will be Covid-compliant, and all participants will be required to wear face coverings and practice social distancing as much as possible.

If you'd like to attend, please send an email with your RSVP to sales@mortonsbmw.com. We look forward to seeing you on January 19!

Steve Anderson
Sales & Marketing Manager
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
sales@mortonsbmw.com
www.mortonsbmw.com

Any way of attending it remotely? Living in Colorado would make it difficult for me to attend in Virginia. ;)

Surely your local dealer has the opportunity to schedule Nate

You know, it would have been WAY cooler to have Josh Herrin, Travis Wyman, Jeremy Coffey, Alex Arango, Steve Weir and Steve Scheibe showing up at dealers around the country. Oh, wait... Josh Herrin just left a BMW ride to go (back) to Factory Yamaha. :dunno

#bmwridersassociation #bmwra #bmwmotorrad #bmw #bmwmotorradusa #bmwgermany #sbsbrakes #alpharacingofficial #gbracing_eu #irvseaverbmw #fastlinecycles #alpharacingofficial #harvsharley #fullspectrumpower #motulusa #motoamerica #cortechracing #ohlinsusa #racetechnologies_moto #brembobrake #araiamerica #excelsussolutions #evoltechnology #superbikeunlimited #hustlehardracing #californiasuperbikeschool #frentubo #velocitycalibrations #motooption #odigrips #motospecprogram #weireverywhereracing #MotoAmerica #RoadAtlanta #josh_herrin #VPLubricants #Aftercare126 #GTech_cleaners_and_degreasers #ScheibeRacing #HayesBrakes #Akrapovic #OfficialNGKSparkPlugs #Renthal_Moto #Capit_Performance #ReginaChain #S1000RR #K46 #ngkracing #fueledbyvp #Superbike #carboninusa #spidi_on_track #araiamericas #motovixens #renthal #renthal_street #roadracing #racing #bmw #superbike #sbsbrakes #instamoto #motorex #lubricantes #SM42 #speedmonkey #ready_to_wrench

“BMW will be launching an exclusive pre-order program for those ready to step up to this level of performance. Jeff Massey and Steve Anderson will be on hand to ensure your order and deposit is registered with BMW and your name is put on a bike for delivery this spring.”

I always thought dealers would gladly take an order for a bike from basically anyone able to put down a deposit.

Is this something new or just marketing?

Last edited:
I got an Email from Bloodworth BMW in Nashville today, says they're taking pre-orders for these now, for those who may be interested.

Last edited:
Back