• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The new M class

K1300S v M S1000RR

Historical context, I think my 2010 K1300S (wet) weighed 569 pounds; the new spawn, (wet) 451 lbs (426 lbs plus 4.2 gal at 6 lbs/gal) so call it 118 pounds lighter. A K1300S' shaft drive assembly weighs around 30 lbs on its own so in addition to less torque loss to the rear wheel, weight advantage to the chain-drive. The new kid makes 212 hp, 37 hp or about 18% more than the K1300S' 175 hp. The K1300S will do over 170 mph (don't ask). Guessin' this one is good for 200+ in the right hands and the right environment, but that's not the point. It was designed to get up and go out of the corners in the straights on a track, ridden by a pro; not on the interstate hwy by this 63 yr-old with no delusions of immortality. :nono

It was designed to get up and go out of the corners in the straights on a track, ridden by a pro; not on the interstate hwy by this 63 yr-old with no delusions of immortality.

Nor on twisty country roads by this 71 year-old with a similar lack of delusions. Love the low weight; half that power would suit me nicely.

Well it's nice to see Motorrad releasing bikes on both ends of the spectrum. They're not aimed at the MOA sector of the market. :)

Last edited:
It was designed to get up and go out of the corners in the straights on a track, ridden by a pro; not on the interstate hwy by this 63 yr-old with no delusions of immortality. :nono

It was designed to pop your eyeballs out under braking, scrape your knee while cornering and then powerslide like like a mofo exiting the corner. :burnout

It was designed to pop your eyeballs out under braking, scrape your knee while cornering and then powerslide like like a mofo exiting the corner. :burnout

I think those exact words were in the design brief. :thumb

Anyone here who hasn't ridden a 175-200 hp sport bike doesn't have the credibility to criticize this new bike.

I wonder if any of the optional M accessories will fit on an airhead?

They’re kinda expensive but may be worth it if, you know, it makes a big difference.
At the very least the M perfomance passenger footrest set left/right should fit.

Harley has been doing this for years. Screaming Eagle and chrome do-dads have added significantly to their bottom line. Think CVO ...

Anybody here remember swarups?

I am now convinced the the BMW MOA needs to arrange and sponsor on-track schools and supervised track days for members. I am equally convinced that the M1000RR bikes and R18 bikes need to be in different on-track groups.

I am now convinced the the BMW MOA needs to arrange and sponsor on-track schools and supervised track days for members. I am equally convinced that the M1000RR bikes and R18 bikes need to be in different on-track groups.

R18 on a track... That would be funny. If it made it around a corner, fire extinguishers would be needed everywhere to put out the grass fires from the sparks from all the parts dragging...

I think those exact words were in the design brief. :thumb

Anyone here who hasn't ridden a 175-200 hp sport bike doesn't have the credibility to criticize this new bike.

You should add... Ridden "on a track"

K13S fits the criteria. Check.

I am now convinced the the BMW MOA needs to arrange and sponsor on-track schools and supervised track days for members.

A local Ducati dealer does just that for purchasers of their sport bikes.

At the same time, I have to believe that the sale of replacement bodywork, levers and footpegs might be one of the motivating factors. Its amazing how many people do not possess an "internal governor". :)

Paul, there used to be a sportbike event that often coincided with the Falling Leaf rally near Potosi.
Was it Friends of Freddy? We used to mingle with them at the Country Store in Bixby. Nice bikes and some serious riders! I think they were following a mapped route on Saturday that ran over 300 miles through the hills.

Is that event still being held? I haven’t been to Falling Leaf recently.

the sale of replacement bodywork, levers and footpegs might be one of the motivating factors.

For OEM BMW parts... I think you are exactly correct.

Hence why my track bike was a GSXR 750. So many young kids buy and wreck the "gixxers", Fleabay is littered with cheap parts - OEM and aftermarket. Much of the aftermarket body work is thin fiberglass since it's easy to repair.

I believe a 186 mph speed limiter is installed on bikes that are meant to be street legal in the USA. Because 187 mph is simply too slow I guess. I'm sure there is some type of aftermarket chip to eliminate it though.

Paul, there used to be a sportbike event that often coincided with the Falling Leaf rally near Potosi.
Was it Friends of Freddy? We used to mingle with them at the Country Store in Bixby. Nice bikes and some serious riders! I think they were following a mapped route on Saturday that ran over 300 miles through the hills.

Is that event still being held? I haven’t been to Falling Leaf recently.

Unfortunately, after many many years of going to Falling Leaf when we lived in Kansas we have not attended since we moved to Texas 14 years ago. Oh how I do well remember though the frost on the seats, the Airheads that wouldn't start, and the cold rain from what we affectionately called the "Frozen Leaf" Rally. And we just had to go back year after year. It then marked the "end of the season" for many riders.

Frozen Leaf Rally

Unfortunately, after many many years of going to Falling Leaf when we lived in Kansas we have not attended since we moved to Texas 14 years ago. Oh how I do well remember though the frost on the seats, the Airheads that wouldn't start, and the cold rain from what we affectionately called the "Frozen Leaf" Rally. And we just had to go back year after year. It then marked the "end of the season" for many riders.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Haven't been in more than I few years. Hanging out at the endless little campfires, seeing old friends from all the BMW rallies. Got it penciled in to attend in the near future. I assume it will be at the new site. Won't be attending this year; I'm a 67 year old college student; and it's kicking my ass.

Back