Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The new M class

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    there you go...MMMMMarketing in action.

how soon to an MF850GSA? maybe some cheesy carbon fiber bits bolted on here and there and a "M" on the gauge cluster...sold! f

(yes, i have a low opinion of M stuff nowadays. i have several early M cars...from back when M meant something....)
    Oh, you want the 6-cylinder? Here, take this ground effects plastic and other kitsch, but don't ask for a manual transmission. This is the utimate experience for those that can't handle a clutch........
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

The M1000RR is a race-replica motorcycle. I do not envision an R1250 or F850GS race replica. The next logical candidate might be the F900R becoming spun into an M900RR, but I doubt even that. Time will tell. I renew my call for BMW MOA track days for the M bike and the R18 in different classes. And don't laugh at the R18. Gobs of Harleys have done track days.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    ..... but don't ask for a manual transmission. This is the ultimate experience for those that can't handle a clutch........
    Dual clutch and paddle shift technology has obsoleted (is that a verb?) manual transmissions in performance automobiles. My sport bike has a quick shift with auto-blip downshift and it is magic.

3 Red Bricks
    I took it that the M1000RR was more of a homologation limited production special. By offering all those special parts (titanium rods, the aero winglets, and all the carbon fiber bits) on a production bike available to the public, would allow those parts to be used in racing classes that require those parts to be stock production parts. Sort of like how the winged Superbirds were offered to the public in the late sixties.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    I think those exact words were in the design brief.

Anyone here who hasn't ridden a 175-200 hp sport bike doesn't have the credibility to criticize this new bike.
    Criticize? Who is criticizing? I am drooling, but I am 61 years old and not feeling the love with the pavement I used to have. Forty years ago I wasn't happy unless both tires were sliding in the corners. Today I like to firmly planted, well at least most of the time! The other day I had my Yamaha R1 drifting in a corner on cold pavement, I kinda enjoyed it!
    Last edited by PoorUB; 09-28-2020 at 02:21 AM.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Dual clutch and paddle shift technology has obsoleted (is that a verb?) manual transmissions in performance automobiles. My sport bike has a quick shift with auto-blip downshift and it is magic.
    I have shift assist on my R1200RS, but I rarely use it. What I do enjoy is the jake brake/compression release, which allows me to rarely use brakes or clutch on downhill roads.

Relative to cars, I tried a steptronic 5-series years ago, but found no interest in playing with the shifter. It was a nice automatic. Given the choice of an automatic or a plug-in hybrid, the plug-in, at-least, offers the potential for fuel savings.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Haas learning center equipment?
    About 15 years, I ran 2 Haas Machining centers, milling stainless implant tools. I think it ran 28 different tools, very complex. It was all I could do just to be a machine operator. I was trained by one of the best, one on one. Heís featured in my thread, Ride Eat Meet. Ron Wiginton. Thought I might get back into it with a little more college tech training. I learned that at my age, it ainít got no easier.

Oh, you want the 6-cylinder? Here, take this ground effects plastic and other kitsch, but don't ask for a manual transmission. This is the utimate experience for those that can't handle a clutch........
    LOL!!!

driving used to be a visceral experience that required coordination, skill and finesse. now clueless folks with money can get there yeeha's at ridiculous speeds while the computers do all the work..
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 09 K1300s

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    The other day I had my Yamaha R1 drifting in a corner on cold pavement, I kinda enjoyed it!
    There's hope for you yet!

Left Coast Rider
    LOL!!!

driving used to be a visceral experience that required coordination, skill and finesse. now clueless folks with money can get there yeeha's at ridiculous speeds while the computers do all the work..
    Computers can't change the laws of physics. Last night a guy in my town driving a McLaren cut his life short because he believed they can.

Computers can't change the laws of physics. Last night a guy in my town driving a McLaren cut his life short because he believed they can.
    Sad. And on bikes it is even easier than in cars. I now ride a G310GS. Not easy to power slide it at all, except in sand, which I hate.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Haas learning center equipment?
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Yep
    Haas has been very supportive of the CNC programs at 2 and 4 yr colleges. One of those companies paying it forward.

The best part of my town doesn't have a McLaren

LOL!!!

Never truer words!