• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1985 K100RS powder coating rims.

mcmlcccvrs

I'm looking at powder coating the rims on my bike. Are there any problems doing this with BMW rims? I ask only because it has been mentioned here that their rims are on the soft side.

I'm looking at powder coating the rims on my bike. Are there any problems doing this with BMW rims? I ask only because it has been mentioned here that their rims are on the soft side.

No problems with powder coating that I've ever heard about and I know of many which have been done. I have one bike I'm going to PC the rims one of these days when it needs tires and I feel like taking it off the road that long.

Had mine done several years ago with great results. Explained where the power coat should not go and got them back within a day done right. Removed the bearings from the front wheel.

Frank

Had mine done several years ago with great results. Explained where the power coat should not go and got them back within a day done right. Removed the bearings from the front wheel.

Frank

It might seem logical to leve the wheel bearings in the wheel and to then change them out after the wheel is returned. Do not do that. The oven melts the grease and it gets all over the hub and you have a mess. Most powder coaters won't even let you think about doing this.

Something else I've noticed about painted rims I've seen on eBay and it is with respect to the rear one. The area under the hub cap was painted but the recesses where the 4 bolts go was not and neither was the surface where the spacer goes.

Something else I've noticed about painted rims I've seen on eBay and it is with respect to the rear one. The area under the hub cap was painted but the recesses where the 4 bolts go was not and neither was the surface where the spacer goes.

Good point!:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

It might seem logical to leve the wheel bearings in the wheel and to then change them out after the wheel is returned. Do not do that. The oven melts the grease and it gets all over the hub and you have a mess. Most powder coaters won't even let you think about doing this.
Removed the bearings prior to bringing them to the PC'er. I doubt they would have done them with bearings installed.

Frank

Back