• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

fork drain bolt and washer

greybeard52

I have a very slow drip from both drain bolts on my fork on my 1986 R80RT. Haynes manual shows drain bolt and washer in diagram but no reference to size or if the washer is a crush washer. I want to replace both but have had no luck finding them on line. The nearest BMW dealer is 4 hours away, however we have a Fastenal shop in our little town so I thought i might find them there if i can determine the size. I have broken off a drain bolt on a brand H motorcycle in years past, so i want the new bolts before i remove these. Any help appreciated.😎

I have a very slow drip from both drain bolts on my fork on my 1986 R80RT. Haynes manual shows drain bolt and washer in diagram but no reference to size or if the washer is a crush washer. I want to replace both but have had no luck finding them on line. The nearest BMW dealer is 4 hours away, however we have a Fastenal shop in our little town so I thought i might find them there if i can determine the size. I have broken off a drain bolt on a brand H motorcycle in years past, so i want the new bolts before i remove these. Any help appreciated.��

It is an 8mm x 11.5mm aluminum crush style washer.

The part number is 07 11 9 963 041

Even if your closest dealer is 4 hours away they are probably located where mail service is available. I would call them up and ask them to put two of these in a regular envelope and mail them to you. If they won't for some strange reason then I know that Max's would be happy to, as would Engle Motors in Kansas City and most other good dealers.

Thanks.

It is an 8mm x 11.5mm aluminum crush style washer.

The part number is 07 11 9 963 041

Even if your closest dealer is 4 hours away they are probably located where mail service is available. I would call them up and ask them to put two of these in a regular envelope and mail them to you. If they won't for some strange reason then I know that Max's would be happy to, as would Engle Motors in Kansas City and most other good dealers.

Thanks for the info. I will call Sturgis BMW. They are nice folks.

I have a very slow drip from both drain bolts on my fork on my 1986 R80RT. Haynes manual shows drain bolt and washer in diagram but no reference to size or if the washer is a crush washer. I want to replace both but have had no luck finding them on line. The nearest BMW dealer is 4 hours away, however we have a Fastenal shop in our little town so I thought i might find them there if i can determine the size. I have broken off a drain bolt on a brand H motorcycle in years past, so i want the new bolts before i remove these. Any help appreciated.😎

Good planning :thumb

Like Deadpool says..... maximum effort.
OM

Just a thought

Near me is Runnings, a country store with a very good selection of hardware. I have found many fasteners, washers and such there rather than pay the big bucks for BMW sourced.

Of course not everything is available at Runnings but you would be surprised at what you can find. Other hardware stores may also have stuff needed. I know a local store further out of my way which has an even bigger selection of hardware. St.

Crush washers serve two purposes simultaneously

The provide a seal to prevent fluid leakage

They act as a lock washer ... to obviously prevent the plug becoming loose.

Used crush washers can do neither. They are not an item usually used in the American home hardware environment, and I doubt you’ll find them anywhere except automotive sources, most easily a BMW dealer.

Note: the 32 nm torque you put on a drain plug is the figure needed to crush the crush washer. There aren’t enough threads in the oil pan or the gearbox and this figure isn’t enough to create any sort of distortion in an (m16) plug to provide any tension to resist loosening. You do need a lock washer and the crush washer is it. Yes, the fork plug is a different size but all this applies proportionally.

Crush washers obtained

i went to Sturgis BMW in South Dakota while my wife and i were camping in the area. The young man at the parts counter looked up the part and number, went to the back and brought out a box with organized bolts, nuts and washers and immediately found my washers. I sat on a few of the new models, and ruled out the R1250 RS because it’s too much of a lean forward for my bad neck and back. Same for the R9T Urban GS. The R1250GS and RT both looked tasty, but I’m wanting a lighter bike. I was hoping to try a R1250R, but they didnt have one in stock. I think that model may be my next bike. Anyway, if youre ever rolling through Sturgis, stop in. I used to buy parts and oil filters from them in the early 1990s as they are my closest BMW dealer. The young guy waiting on me said that was before his time. I bought one of their tee shirts to finish my visit. Nice folks.😎

Back