• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Handle bar rear view mirrors

lcarter

Need suggestions for rear view mirrors for my 2018 R 1200 RT. Doesn’t look like many options out there. Thanks!

Last edited:
The mirrors from a wethead GS work quite well.

Agreed. In order to attach them to the RT's bars, you'll need two "pipe clamps" (that's what BMW calls them). Part number is: 32 72 8 532 971 and they're $48 each.

Then, you'll need the GS mirrors. See:

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 8.32.36 PM.png

So, for about $330 you can have those mirrors, all with BMW parts.

You may find other, cheaper alternatives.

There is another thread on this topic having some good info: Mirrors

In the interim, you can search on Amazon, as I did when I needed the same thing. The spec is that you need 22mm (7/8") mirror clamps. You can either use standard 10mm threads for most aftermarket mirrors, or get some clamps threaded for the GS mirrors, which use a coarser thread pitch.

I just bought the GS 32 72 8 534 366 PIPE CLAMP from MAXBMW and watched eBay for a set of mirrors, ended up getting a pair for $50!mirrors.JPG

I just bought the GS 32 72 8 534 366 PIPE CLAMP from MAXBMW and watched eBay for a set of mirrors, ended up getting a pair for $50!

Nice find. You have your RAM ball mounted on a shelf, and that frees up the mirror perches for use with actual mirrors. I have a set of GS mirrors, and the correct clamps, but I am reluctant to give up my RAM ball that is currently mounted to the left mirror clamp.

Cap

I am reluctant to give up my RAM ball that is currently mounted to the left mirror clamp.

Cap

Cap - There is an alternative to giving up the RAM ball. Wunderlich made a piece which puts a RAM ball right in front of you in the center of the handlebars. The Wunderlich website does not show this piece any longer, but here are a couple of photos showing how it worked on my 2015 RT:

IMG_0748.jpeg

IMG_3153.jpeg

I can't use the Wunderlich piece any longer because I've added Illium bar lifters, so I had to find another way to get a RAM ball on my bars to see my iPhone.

I know this piece is safely stowed away somewhere in my garage. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send it to you (presuming I can find it).

John

I can't use the Wunderlich piece any longer because I've added Illium bar lifters, ....

John, thanks. I have the same piece, and made the same discovery that it is not compatible with the ilium risers. I considered modifying the Wunderlich part to work with the bar risers, but decided against it. So, like you, I threw it in a drawer somewhere in my shop.

Cap

‘Pipe Clamps’ for Mirror Mount

So, the BMW pipe clamps with the threaded mirror socket replace just the rider-side portion of the larger assembly that holds the clutch and brake fluid reservoirs?

Back