• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Tender Plus ...................... Dead

Considering the 1986 purchase date, should I be pissed about the quality or bury it with honors..........??

Start a pile with your smoke detector! ;) You might want to do a more thorough check around!!

Dang - pretty darn good for something electronic!! I'm trying to think of anything that I even own that is that old... :stick

Dang - pretty darn good for something electronic!! I'm trying to think of anything that I even own that is that old... :stick

My wife has something much older.
Me :)
Hope she doesn't throw me out because I'm older than the Use By date :)

I have had a few go bad after several years. When we had 9 bikes licensed and insured we had several to keep everything road ready. I just toss them.

My wife has something much older.
Me :)
Hope she doesn't throw me out because I'm older than the Use By date :)

I was so excited by the spiffy electrical socket on my '86 K75, the charger was my first farkle for that bike.

Those crazy days when I was 26 and only spent money on my motorcycle....

Last edited:
I was so excited by the spiffy electrical socket on my '86 K75, the charger was my first farkle for that bike.

Those crazy days when I was 26 and only spent money on my motorcycle....

Our 1987 K75 bikes each came with a charger from BMW.
I sold one and still used the other on my mower in the winter up until two years ago.

In 1966 I owned a Simca, a French car for which parts were few and far between. And as a fresh recruit in the Air Force I certainly couldn't afford to get a new generator from France. It was a two mile or so drive from our apartment to the Air Force radar site where I was stationed.

So lacking a charging system in the car I went to Sears and bought a 6 amp battery charger and mounted it under the hood on the firewall. I would drive to work, and later home again. Then I would plug in the charger over night. Repeat every day for about 6 months until I sold the car as-is. Until last year that charger was still working. It was in the garage at our son's house in Kansas and "mud dauber" wasps decided it was the perfect place to make a home. I found it 90% full of wasp-condo mud. After I cleaned it out as best I could it wouldn't work. Thus it died at 53 years of age. I do still have the 3 amp BMW charger I got back in the '80s.

In 1966 I owned a Simca, a French car for which parts were few and far between. And as a fresh recruit in the Air Force I certainly couldn't afford to get a new generator from France. It was a two mile or so drive from our apartment to the Air Force radar site where I was stationed.

So lacking a charging system in the car I went to Sears and bought a 6 amp battery charger and mounted it under the hood on the firewall. I would drive to work, and later home again. Then I would plug in the charger over night. Repeat every day for about 6 months until I sold the car as-is. Until last year that charger was still working. It was in the garage at our son's house in Kansas and "mud dauber" wasps decided it was the perfect place to make a home. I found it 90% full of wasp-condo mud. After I cleaned it out as best I could it wouldn't work. Thus it died at 53 years of age. I do still have the 3 amp BMW charger I got back in the '80s.

I "borrowed" Dad's early 1970's Sears 10/2-amp charger when I took my first job out of college. On the rare occasion I need a 10A charger, it still works. It has a special spot, just above the motor oil in the cabinet.

Tender +

My Battery Tender Plus is worse than dead I think, when you plug it in the red light starts flashing when you hook it to battery the light goes to solid red than it just keeps charging, it never goes green or the flashing green. I have two of the Battery Tender + chargers I can take the good one off a battery after it has gone to the green float mode put the other one it goes red and stays red on a charged battery. If I reverse process and take bad one off a charged battery, with light still red and put good one on the red light comes on for a short while than goes to green like it is supposed to.
I assume that the .75 amp (might be 1.25 amp ) charge can overcharge and damage a battery given enough time.
It would be much easier to toss it in the recycle pile if it did not work at All. :)

I "borrowed" Dad's early 1970's Sears 10/2-amp charger when I took my first job out of college. On the rare occasion I need a 10A charger, it still works. It has a special spot, just above the motor oil in the cabinet.

What kind of oil?
Please forgive me I can't help myself.

My Battery Tender Plus is worse than dead I think, when you plug it in the red light starts flashing when you hook it to battery the light goes to solid red than it just keeps charging, it never goes green or the flashing green. I have two of the Battery Tender + chargers I can take the good one off a battery after it has gone to the green float mode put the other one it goes red and stays red on a charged battery. If I reverse process and take bad one off a charged battery, with light still red and put good one on the red light comes on for a short while than goes to green like it is supposed to.
I assume that the .75 amp (might be 1.25 amp ) charge can overcharge and damage a battery given enough time.
It would be much easier to toss it in the recycle pile if it did not work at All. :)

I think I can do the same brinking light exercise with my Battery Tender. Off/on and disconnect/connect yields a revolving set of solid or blinking lights.

I'm pretty sure it's little brain is shot.....

Back