• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help! I'm going on my 4th replacement NAV VI.

Vitamin K
I'm on my 3rd Nav VI (all replaced under warranty) and soon to sending #3 back for a #4. My units all develop touchscreen issues and I can't help but think that somehow my bike or the mount or something particular to my bike is causing these problems. Is this possible? Sorry but I'm completely baffled why these issues keep appearing in my 3 units when everyone I have met with a Nav VI has never heard of these problems.

My bike, a 2016 R1200RS, was purchased new from the dealer in May 2017 with the GPS mounted and installed. This particular dealer has a loooooong history of screwing up the Lord's Prayer so if it could have been mis-installed they'd be the ones to do it. (For an example they sold me this bike with a warped and leaking head cover)

The Trouble seems to start with this problem: when playing MP3's it will occasionally not continue onto the next song. You have to go to the MP3 page and press 'play' again for it to resume. This might happen twice in a days riding..

Then these issues start to appear:
#1)the screen will change on it's own (without any input from me) between the main pages.
#2) if trying to use the touchscreen my selection will be highlighted by the blue square to indicate it has been touched, but nothing happens.
#3) the Wonder Wheel still works to change the screen between the main pages (when touch doesn't) but it will likely not stay on any page for long as the page flipping will usually start again (see #1).

Once they start happening, #1 and #2 will happen whether in the cradle or not so if the bike caused the problem it leaves permanent damage behind. A hard reset does not fix these issues.

Garmin seems keen to just replace the units and the last fellow at the help desk said he could find some other reported touchscreen issues but the number seemed very small compared to how many they must have sold. Am I just very unlucky to get 3 lemon GPS's or could the bike be messing with the Nav VI?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Only 4? I’m on #5. Just got here. I’m pretty sure I’m out of warranty. Garmin has exceptional tech support. I would not worry. I think they finally have the quality control issues in check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry your having problems. You should pop over to the ADV rider site and search for Nav VI, there are a bunch of folks there who have had issues as well but might have a solution for you. I've read that using a screen cleaner often my help. Good luck with it.

More to the point. The tech I talked to last year said they had quality issues in the screen manufacturing that led to “ghost touches” that has been fixed now (as I understand). Whoever you’ve been talking to isn’t in the know. This is a known issue. And Garmin seems to be standing by their products

Weird is that they work fine for the first 2-3 months....then the Trouble starts. If the screens were bad would they not work properly from the get-go?

Hmmm. Not true. These are impurities in the touch screen materials that might need to be touched a few times to flare up

So I just went on my first trip with my NAV VI. It was going off the highway and turning the screen to another view of the road, turning off my little dash at the bottom. To get back on track, I would use the wheel to cycle through the screens then "view map" again. Is this an example of what you saw? I am going to call Garmin about it. I just returned this weekend.

So I just went on my first trip with my NAV VI. It was going off the highway and turning the screen to another view of the road, turning off my little dash at the bottom. To get back on track, I would use the wheel to cycle through the screens then "view map" again. Is this an example of what you saw? I am going to call Garmin about it. I just returned this weekend.

Yup if your screen changed on its own then mine have done that too.....seems to be what others have called the 'ghost touches'. Very annoying when mine did that in a strange city as I was trying to find a particular exit ramp. Mine have then usually 'progressed' to wildly flipping between pages only to settle on a screen page other than what I need to see at that moment.

Sorry, but it sounds like you may have a dud too.

Back