• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Future F900R Owner

patgm

Hello MOA,

I recently placed a deposit on a 2021 F900R, as none of the four 2020's in stock at my dealer had the premium tech package, which was on my wishlist.

I picked the F900 because:
It is a recent re-design
It has up-to-date emissions compliance
It has a class-leading tech package

I have what I would consider an intermediate experience level and will use this bike primarily for weekend leisure, commuting, and taking some classes.

Looking forward to joining the community and gaining from its insight.

Welcome Patgm! How long a wait are you looking at for delivery?

My dealer wouldn't be too specific, but tentatively said around last week of October. As of 1 week ago it hadn't yet started assembly in Berlin, which is why they were still able to make changes to the configuration on my behalf. They did say that once they have one spoken for with a deposit, it tends to get priority in the production line, so it could be finished fairly quickly, then it will be in transit for 3-4 weeks getting from there to the west coast.

They are supposed to update me throughout the process, I will try to report back as I hear from them.

I called the dealer about the ETA, they adjusted from "Last week of October" to "Last week of November or first week of December". Not surprised that it's taking longer than they estimated, but I am disappointed that they never bothered to contact me when they had updated information.

I called the dealer about the ETA, they adjusted from "Last week of October" to "Last week of November or first week of December". Not surprised that it's taking longer than they estimated, but I am disappointed that they never bothered to contact me when they had updated information.

What dealer?

How to Order & Track Your New BMW

I posted this back in 2016. Another member who worked at a BMW dealership added some edits as well.

Here's the thread: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...t=#post1062403

Ordering a BMW car and motorcycle essentially works the same way:

1. Dealer receives production allocation for a certain model. The number of allocations is based, in part, on previous sales at that dealership.

2. Dealer places order for their inventory or for a specific customer using the BMW computer ordering system (I believe it's called DealerSpeed). There is a priority "field" on the Vehicle Inquiry Status order form that indicates the status. Highest priority is "1-Customer Sold." This tells BMW there's a customer waiting for the bike/car. Other priority numbers, such as "3-Priority Stock" indicates it's for the dealer's inventory.

3. After placing the order, the bike or car is assigned a unique Production Number and production week. When I ordered my 2014 RT on February 5, it was scheduled to be built that last week of February. And the dealer provided me with a printout to show the bike was built as scheduled on February 28.

4. About a week after it was built, the bike's status changed to "In Transit To Warehouse." The dealer's computer then indicated the exact container ship that would carry the cargo to New Jersey. You can track the ship's progress (Google Marine Traffic).

5. My 2014 RT arrived in New Jersey in mid-April and was delivered to me on April 24.

6. Total time from build date to delivery about 8 weeks.

After the shock recall, I chose Option 4 and sold my 2014 back to BMW, and ordered a 2015 RT on July 8 (he had just received 2 allocations).

I watched as my salesperson input my order and immediately received a unique Production Number. My 2015 RT order indicated status code 111, which means the ordered was accepted by BMW. Changes are allowed until the bike goes into status code 150 (in production). Ordering a BMW auto works the same way.

My 2015 RT is due in New Jersey port on Sep 20. Once is clears customs, it will be released for truck shipping and should arrive at my dealer in about 10 days.

When I ordered my 2014, my dealer showed me how to track the truck on the DHL website:

https://dhli.dhl.com/dhli-client/publicTracking?7

In the "Search By" drop-down menu, select "Customer Ref Number"

Then input your VIN. It's case sensitive, so use capital letters.

You should be able to track the shipment, assuming that it's coming via DHL.

Hope this helps. If your salesperson doesn't have a clue on how bikes "magically" arrive at his dealership, perhaps it's time to change dealers.

If you have a bike on order, your salesperson can easily check its progress, based on standard BMW codes, as follows (based on auto production, but most still apply):

0 Order deleted by NA
17 Order not Specified
37 Order is at BMW NA
87 Production Week Assigned
97 Order sent to AG
100 Order deleted by AG
101 Error in data transmitted
102 Special Order (no Prod Week)
105 Order out of Prod. Period
111 Order Accepted at AG
112 Order scheduled for Production
150 Production Started
151 Body Shop Started
152 Paint Shop Started
153 Assembly Started
155 Production Completed
160 Released to Distribution
168 AG Stock
170 Waiting Workshop
172 Planned for Workshop
174 Workshop Entry
176 Workshop Complete
180 Waiting for Export Dispatch
181 Waiting for Domestic Dispatch
182 AG Load No. — Released to Carrier
190 Dispatched ex(port?) BMW AG
191 Returned to BMW AG
193 Arrived at Port of Exit (where my car was stalled)
194 Selected for Shipment
195 Shipped from Port of Exit
196 Shipment Arrival — ATA

What dealer?
San Jose BMW. I assume part of the discrepancy is supply chain disruption related to pandemic restrictions, hard to say though. Regardless of the reason, I don't suspect that my salesperson was intentionally misleading.

Where are you located?
I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, placed the deposit with San Jose BMW.

Did you order black, blue or red? I like a blue one.
I ordered Red; I prefer brighter colors because in my experience darker colors blend in with the environment too much.

@boborgail Thank you for the details, that is really helpful. It would be nice if dealers were required to give their customers this level of granularity in their status updates.

It's here I guess

Well, dealer called yesterday around 50 minutes before they closed to let me know that the bike is ready to be picked up. Strange, They last told me that they would update me as soon as it arrived in New Jersey. I'm in California, so I expected several days notice.

Pick it up & enjoy

You still have riding weather, that has to give you some priority. Don’t question it, pick it up and enjoy the new ride; I’m in the NE, riding days are limited until April. Nice bike, tell us how you like it.

Back