• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Information re Cycle-Gard?

jimmiejag

Behind my recently acquired 1971 R75/5 license plate was a small compartment with a two position key on the left side. After dealing with the two rust-frozen bolts holding the license plate onto the black plastic device, I was able to remove seven screws holding the thing together. Inside, shown on the attached photo, were two badly leaking 9 volt batteries (one of which I removed for the photo), two mercury motion-detector switches (I know, call EPA), wiring, a circuit board and two speakers/horns. There was also a partially destroyed instruction sheet of paper, see other photo.
This security device is called "Cycle-Gard" manufactured by "Alcotronics Corporation, Security Products Division, Church Road and Roland Avenue, Mt. Laurel, NJ"
Is anyone familiar with this device? Is it worth trying to repair it? If so, is there a source for parts?

Attachments

• Cycle-gard in situ RS.jpg
    Cycle-gard in situ RS.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 218
  • Cycle-gardInstructionSheetRS.jpg
    Cycle-gardInstructionSheetRS.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
If you do some googling, you'll find hits on etsy along with snippets from books as shown by google.books. My guess is that there are far better devices these days to protecting your bike. If you wanted to preserve the device, you might be able to get a few bucks for it on evilbay.

To be honest

To be honest, ditch the unit, restore the wiring to stock. Few things will drive you crazier than working around some accessory wired into the stock wiring system.

I would guess this thing was at least powered by a hot wire to the battery and one to ground. If that is the case, you are lucky, it won't take much to cut it out and restore things to normal. If you are not lucky, it could be wired into your ignition system. That may cause you headaches down the road. I have found over time any connection not fastidiously added to the stock wiring can fail at the worst time. Some people do well and solder and shrink wrap with the proper gauge and color wires, others just quick cut and crimp. Poor wiring jobs are one of the things I see the most at my friend's shop and one of the biggest causes of second owner problems.

Like Kurt says, there may be better alarms on the market now. Then again, the new alarms may work fine for new bikes but not airheads, our wiring it too simple for modern times, no CANBUS what ever that is. LOL.

Looks like you can get rid of a couple of pounds of weight by getting rid of it. Cheers, St.

I'd pull it out, and not bother with finding a replacement anti-theft unit. Apart from the well-aged airhead demographic, our bikes have little or no appeal to thieves, who are only looking for widely desired/rapidly marketable bikes and parts, and, sad to say, ours are neither.

More on Cycle-Gard

I am the OP. Thanks for the responses. I am interested in the Cycle-Gard since it was on the R75/5 I just acquired and I have lots of information about the bike's history and the late original owner. To honor that owner, who obviously cared quite a bit for his ride, I want to retrun it to functionality if possibile.
The odds of me leaving it parked anywhere unattended after I get it running are slim to none. I am interested in history in general and this bike in particular and since this was installed by that original owner, I am looking to see if these security systems were commonplace back in the eraly 1970s.
Regarding the wiring, the unit is self-powered by the two 9 volt batteries, one of which is shown in the photo I posted, so no sweat about the wiring being fouled-up. I suspect that this unit was pretty expensive back in the day but is clearly not a match for today's security devices. As a preservationist, I would like to see if I can make it function again, not because I will ever need security for the bike.
Similarly, I have an early Windjammer fairing that came with the motorcycle, and will keep it on, but don't intend to do much traveling once the bike is running again. So if you find any additional about this device, please let me know. TIA.

I have a booklet that someone put together that has a lot of ads from back in the day. When I can get back to it, I'll scan for any for this device.

Update...couldn't find anything. :(

Windjammer Fairing

I had an early Windjammer fairing on my 1973 LWB R75/5. Let me know what information you seek.

I am the OP. Thanks for the responses. I am interested in the Cycle-Gard since it was on the R75/5 I just acquired and I have lots of information about the bike's history and the late original owner. To honor that owner, who obviously cared quite a bit for his ride, I want to retrun it to functionality if possibile.
The odds of me leaving it parked anywhere unattended after I get it running are slim to none. I am interested in history in general and this bike in particular and since this was installed by that original owner, I am looking to see if these security systems were commonplace back in the eraly 1970s.
Regarding the wiring, the unit is self-powered by the two 9 volt batteries, one of which is shown in the photo I posted, so no sweat about the wiring being fouled-up. I suspect that this unit was pretty expensive back in the day but is clearly not a match for today's security devices. As a preservationist, I would like to see if I can make it function again, not because I will ever need security for the bike.
Similarly, I have an early Windjammer fairing that came with the motorcycle, and will keep it on, but don't intend to do much traveling once the bike is running again. So if you find any additional about this device, please let me know. TIA.

I would need to see the cover which holds the license plate, but I think I know what this is, and if so, then I had one on my /5 for a while. It's a vibration sensitive alarm that makes a very loud car-alarm-type sound if the bike is bumped too hard or taken off of the center stand. There were somewhat popular in the mid-70's and were pretty effective considering they were a bolt on free-standing device. If it were me, I would add it to my "things from when my bike was new" collection. :)

More Info Found on Cycle-Gard

I found a copy of "Big Bike" magazine that had an srticle about the Cycle-Gard alarm device. There were two offered: one was essentially a self-powered motion sensitive device that had the two-speaker alarm activated when the mercury switches were jostled. The more expensive unit was "Cycle-Gard 2" that included the motion-sensitive circuitry as well as a small transmitter the sent an alert to nearby cigarette pack sized receiver, I imagine similar to Bluetooth. I think my unit may be #2 since the circuitry seems too complex for a simple motion detector. But I do not unfortunately have the receiver for it.
I will see if I can get the motion sensitive part to function just to hear it.
Thanks for the replies.

Back