• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

electrifying

subconscious

My planned winter project is to update my 1974 R75/6 with new wiring. However, I ran into a recent snag that has me a bit curious if this might be a project that will happen sooner than later. I was hoping that you might be able to shed some light on my situation (no pun intended).

I had to replace my ignition (key problem with the old - it's along story). The bottom line is that the company that caused the problem, replaced the hardware. However, now the headlight/ taillight does not work. I looked and found that the 58 fuse was tripped. I replaced the fuse - it tripped, I rearranged the wires (just in case the reassembly was improper) and it tripped before I could turn the key. So, the current configuration is how I picked it up from the "shop." The lights that work are connected to the top fuse (15): turns, oil and other indicators. All aspects connected to the 58 fuse are not operational.

So, iany feedback I would greatly appreciate.

My questions are:

What is the proper configuration of the wires from the ignition?

I have followed the Clymer manual, but it only accounts for four wires (the new ignition has four connectors stacked in vertical and one off-set - so 5 in total). Given this off-set one, what arrangement can I use to avoid the tripping?

The wires to the lamp appear to be fine (no wire to wire exposure) - so, what are some of the reasons that a short is occurring?

If you have some ideas of how and why this might occur - I'm all ears.

Any help that you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Back