Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ### 2020 R1250RT Leaking Front Brakes After Recall Video ###

Motor32

### 2020 R1250RT Leaking Front Brakes After Recall Video ###

Hey Guys,

I made this video of the ongoing leaking brake calipers on my 2020 R1250RT, This is my first BMW. In the video these are new replacement calipers after the recall that still leak. Below is the brief history of my BMW experience.

#1 Prior to purchase was told the 2020's didn't leak = leaking after first ride home.

#2 I've had the rebuild kit installed (600 miles) = still leaking.

#3 Replaced the calipers (6000 miles) = still leaking.

#4 Returned to the dealer and told the fluid leaking was just "residual" under the bleeder caps (6250 miles) = still leaking (even after returning home, days later, still leaking).

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h3htjt6nm4

You might wish to investigate the "lemon laws" as apply to your state and/or consult an attorney.

Attached are a few things that a short google search found for Arizona -

https://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/autom.../lemon-law.php

https://www.uslegalforms.com/lemonla...%20Law%20Forms

Motor32
    Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    You might wish to investigate the "lemon laws" as apply to your state and/or consult an attorney.

Attached are a few things that a short google search found for Arizona -

https://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/autom.../lemon-law.php

https://www.uslegalforms.com/lemonla...%20Law%20Forms
    Thanks, I'll see what BMW does but so far there's been no solution. Their fixes haven't worked and I've just wasted my time going back to the dealers.

Steve
    Last edited by Motor32; 09-21-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor32 View Post
    Thanks, I'll see what BMW does but so far there's been no solution. There fixes haven't worked and I've just wasted my time going back to the dealers.

Steve
    I truly do sympathize but with my tongue firmly in my cheek I do want to than you for helping BMW get the junk units out of the supply chain.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I know from my own experience that brake fluid will also eat through/stain your wheels and other painted parts unless removed quickly. After what you've gone through I'd be asking for a refund and also filing an NHTSA complaint. Isn't there also an MOA advocate to help members with product problems? Maybe they could help, it seems warranted.

Too bad your first experience with the marque has been soured by one defective component and a poor response to resolve it.
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, Colorado
    2017 R1200RT
    2007 Eton Beemer Scooter

Motor32
    Quote Originally Posted by AjaxTheDog View Post
    I know from my own experience that brake fluid will also eat through/stain your wheels and other painted parts unless removed quickly. After what you've gone through I'd be asking for a refund and also filing an NHTSA complaint. Isn't there also an MOA advocate to help members with product problems? Maybe they could help, it seems warranted.

Too bad your first experience with the marque has been soured by one defective component and a poor response to resolve it.
    I have filed a second complaint with NHTSA for the continued brake leaking after the recall fix. My first filing was for the initial leaking that got the recall going. Being new to BMW this has soured my experience.

Steve

Sorry to hear of your issue. Replacing the calipers with Brembo brand units will solve the problem! Which dealer are you working with?
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Motor32
    Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    Sorry to hear of your issue. Replacing the calipers with Brembo brand units will solve the problem! Which dealer are you working with?
    So far I've been using GoAZ in Peoria near me. I purchased the bike at Iron-Horse in Tucson. I'll see if they'll do the Brembo's.

Steve

Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Motor32

### Part 2 VIDEO 2020 R1250RT Leaking Front Brakes After Recall Video ###

Hey Guys,

This is a new video (Part 2) of my leaking Hayes brakes on my 2020 R1250RT that have been replaced from the recall and are still leaking.

Steve

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I will move this to your other thread a bit later.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Motor32

### NHTSA Contact about Recalled Brakes ###

Hey Guys,

Today I talked with an investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and he is interested in talking with anyone else who has had the recalled brake calipers installed and the brakes still are leaking. His name is Santiago Maldonado and his number is 443-655-6524 or you can email him at santiago.maldonado@dot.gov in Washington DC. He is working on our behalf to get to the bottom of this issue of the leaking Hayes calipers that BMW hasn't solved. This has been going on since last October and BMW's fix is not working.

Steve

Are either you or the NHTSA contact aware that a recall was announced August 28 that calls for caliper replacement, beginning October 6?

My understanding is that the machine(s) creating the o-ring grooves were found to be out of tolerance, cutting too deeply, so that the rings did not protrude far enough to seal properly.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Motor32
    Yes, and that's the problem. Mine were replaced three weeks ago and are still leaking. BMW's fix is still defective.

Steve

Motor32

### NHTSA Contact about Recalled Brakes ###

Hey Guys,

Today I talked with an investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and he is interested in talking with anyone else who has had the recalled brake calipers installed and the brakes still are leaking. His name is Santiago Maldonado and his number is 443-655-6524 or you can email him at santiago.maldonado@dot.gov in Washington DC. He is working on our behalf to get to the bottom of this issue of the leaking Hayes calipers that BMW hasn't solved. This has been going on since last October and BMW's fix is not working.

Steve