• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

### 2020 R1250RT Leaking Front Brakes After Recall Video ###

Motor32

Motor32
Hey Guys,

I made this video of the ongoing leaking brake calipers on my 2020 R1250RT, This is my first BMW. In the video these are new replacement calipers after the recall that still leak. Below is the brief history of my BMW experience.

#1 Prior to purchase was told the 2020's didn't leak = leaking after first ride home.

#2 I've had the rebuild kit installed (600 miles) = still leaking.

#3 Replaced the calipers (6000 miles) = still leaking.

#4 Returned to the dealer and told the fluid leaking was just "residual" under the bleeder caps (6250 miles) = still leaking (even after returning home, days later, still leaking).

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h3htjt6nm4

You might wish to investigate the "lemon laws" as apply to your state and/or consult an attorney.

Attached are a few things that a short google search found for Arizona -

https://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

https://www.uslegalforms.com/lemonl...law in arizona&utm_content=AZ_Lemon Law Forms

Thanks, I'll see what BMW does but so far there's been no solution. Their fixes haven't worked and I've just wasted my time going back to the dealers.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll see what BMW does but so far there's been no solution. There fixes haven't worked and I've just wasted my time going back to the dealers.

Steve

I truly do sympathize but with my tongue firmly in my cheek I do want to than you for helping BMW get the junk units out of the supply chain. :banghead

I know from my own experience that brake fluid will also eat through/stain your wheels and other painted parts unless removed quickly. After what you've gone through I'd be asking for a refund and also filing an NHTSA complaint. Isn't there also an MOA advocate to help members with product problems? Maybe they could help, it seems warranted.

Too bad your first experience with the marque has been soured by one defective component and a poor response to resolve it.

I know from my own experience that brake fluid will also eat through/stain your wheels and other painted parts unless removed quickly. After what you've gone through I'd be asking for a refund and also filing an NHTSA complaint. Isn't there also an MOA advocate to help members with product problems? Maybe they could help, it seems warranted.

Too bad your first experience with the marque has been soured by one defective component and a poor response to resolve it.

I have filed a second complaint with NHTSA for the continued brake leaking after the recall fix. My first filing was for the initial leaking that got the recall going. Being new to BMW this has soured my experience.

Steve

Sorry to hear of your issue. Replacing the calipers with Brembo brand units will solve the problem! Which dealer are you working with?

Sorry to hear of your issue. Replacing the calipers with Brembo brand units will solve the problem! Which dealer are you working with?

So far I've been using GoAZ in Peoria near me. I purchased the bike at Iron-Horse in Tucson. I'll see if they'll do the Brembo's.

Steve

### Part 2 VIDEO 2020 R1250RT Leaking Front Brakes After Recall Video ###

Hey Guys,

This is a new video (Part 2) of my leaking Hayes brakes on my 2020 R1250RT that have been replaced from the recall and are still leaking.

Steve

### NHTSA Contact about Recalled Brakes ###

Hey Guys,

Today I talked with an investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and he is interested in talking with anyone else who has had the recalled brake calipers installed and the brakes still are leaking. His name is Santiago Maldonado and his number is 443-655-6524 or you can email him at santiago.maldonado@dot.gov in Washington DC. He is working on our behalf to get to the bottom of this issue of the leaking Hayes calipers that BMW hasn't solved. This has been going on since last October and BMW's fix is not working.

Steve

Are either you or the NHTSA contact aware that a recall was announced August 28 that calls for caliper replacement, beginning October 6?

My understanding is that the machine(s) creating the o-ring grooves were found to be out of tolerance, cutting too deeply, so that the rings did not protrude far enough to seal properly.

Yes, and that's the problem. Mine were replaced three weeks ago and are still leaking. BMW's fix is still defective.

Steve

Hey Guys,

Today I talked with an investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and he is interested in talking with anyone else who has had the recalled brake calipers installed and the brakes still are leaking. His name is Santiago Maldonado and his number is 443-655-6524 or you can email him at santiago.maldonado@dot.gov in Washington DC. He is working on our behalf to get to the bottom of this issue of the leaking Hayes calipers that BMW hasn't solved. This has been going on since last October and BMW's fix is not working.

Steve

Hey Guys,

Steve

Hey Guys,

In this short video (11 seconds) you can hear air getting sucked into the calipers while pumping the brakes, the sucking sound is when the lever is released. The NHTSA is suppose to be talking to BMW today. My bike has been sitting for over three weeks without being rode.

Steve

It seems to me that if the fault as described on here is due to improper machine work on the calipers themselves only replacing the seals would not fix anything. The repair would need to include new calipers that do not have the machine work out of spec. I hope you get it fixed properly soon and that you get to ride again as well.:thumb

Back