• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

### 2020 R1250RT Leaking Front Brakes After Recall Video ###

What kills me is how they can "F" up something up that is so simple and they have been building them for years.

What kills me is how they can "F" up something up that is so simple and they have been building them for years.

My guess it’s the “value engineering” trend that is carried out by people that have a weak understanding of the product.
OM

Today Nov 10, the dealer is picking up my bike to remove the third set of leaking Hayes calipers and installing my fourth set. I've had my bike 7 months and two of them it's sat parked because of this ongoing issue, sad.

Steve

Are the Brembos available from the R1200RT? I would pay for a couple Brembo calipers and get back on the road instead of take a chance on another set of Hayes!

Are the Brembos available from the R1200RT? I would pay for a couple Brembo calipers and get back on the road instead of take a chance on another set of Hayes!

BMW hasn't acknowledge a fix yet, this is nothing more than a band-aid so I can ride until they start leaking again. I'm taking a wait and see approach to see if Brembo is the fix.

Steve

I just returned from the dealer with my FOURTH set of Hayes calipers in 7 months, they also replaced the rim. The clock is ticking on these to start leaking, stay tuned.

Steve

So I bought my new R1250GS on November 7th, three days after the stop order. So I must assume the bike was built after 2/28/20, otherwise they couldn't have legally sold it. My Hayes calipers are not leaking, and these brakes are better than the fancy Brembos on my '19 Ducati Monster 1200S. The rear Brembo master cylinder failed on that bike and had to be replaced in the first year.

rickdm

So I bought my new R1250GS on November 7th, three days after the stop order. So I must assume the bike was built after 2/28/20, otherwise they couldn't have legally sold it. My Hayes calipers are not leaking, and these brakes are better than the fancy Brembos on my '19 Ducati Monster 1200S. The rear Brembo master cylinder failed on that bike and had to be replaced in the first year.

rickdm

Just keep an eye on them, I had one set (out of four) that was good for a few weeks then started leaking. I would also pitch-a-bitch at the dealer and see if they'll take care of you for your first service, it can't hurt and good luck.

Steve

This is what I've heard from the NHTSA guy:

"We have been in contact with BMW and it sounds like they are working on a more comprehensive solution."

Not much but it sounds better than a band-aid.

Steve

Thanks for the full link -- I don't have an affected Triumph, so hadn't read the full article.

the good news is that the Brembo pads can be changed in about ten minutes on the bike without removing the calipers, wheels, etc. They just drop in from the back of the caliper. One pin screw. The Hayes calipers have to be removed and then taken apart to get to the pads,

Been a couple of weeks since last post. Anyone reporting positive movement in this, one of BMW's most recent, debacles? Last I heard BMW might/would/should/could be replacing Hayes with Brembo...that still the thought?

Been a couple of weeks since last post. Anyone reporting positive movement in this, one of BMW's most recent, debacles? Last I heard BMW might/would/should/could be replacing Hayes with Brembo...that still the thought?

They could, should. But might, would ??? Ha Ha Ha. They will, of course, replace with Brembos. At the cost to the owner of $2,000, however. (personal experience. See my thread on this)

My contact with the NHTSA sent me this when I asked him if BMW was going back to Brembo.

(That notion has been floated but no official word on whether that will be the final remedy.)

FYI,

Steve

Repeat customer

I discussed this with my dealer when trading my 1200rt in on a 1250rt, bike was double checked and no issues. Delivered to my house in a truck and sat for five days before first ride. Bike had 7mi on it from the check ride from the tech commissioning the bike. Came out to the garage to find a puddle on the floor, dealer picked the bike up stat and replaced both front calipers, pads and the rim from the stains on it. Fast forward eight months and 4600mi and I’ve got a new puddle on the second set. pretty disappointed in this but I know my dealer will look after me as they’ve always done. BMW does need to step it up a bit. My 310r had a brake recall as well and a bit tired of this

I discussed this with my dealer when trading my 1200rt in on a 1250rt, bike was double checked and no issues. Delivered to my house in a truck and sat for five days before first ride. Bike had 7mi on it from the check ride from the tech commissioning the bike. Came out to the garage to find a puddle on the floor, dealer picked the bike up stat and replaced both front calipers, pads and the rim from the stains on it. Fast forward eight months and 4600mi and I’ve got a new puddle on the second set. pretty disappointed in this but I know my dealer will look after me as they’ve always done. BMW does need to step it up a bit. My 310r had a brake recall as well and a bit tired of this

You should join us guys who have filed a complaint with the NHTSA. This was the only way to get BMW to address this brake issue.

Steve

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/BMW/R%25201250%2520RT

Back