Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: When will there be an R18 Forum section?

There is nothing like the sound and pound of a stroker motor. I guess it is a sex toy.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    There is nothing like the sound and pound of a stroker motor. I guess it is a sex toy.
    Kinda like riding your Norton?
    I find those bikes let the rider “fee” what was going on. A while back I sat on a big Triumph, at the insistence of the salesman. When he started the bike and I felt the torque move the bike with just a small move of the throttle.
    Takes me back.......
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    I think there was a Harley ad to that effect.....

Drawing attention from the crowds in Pensacola

R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Kinda like riding your Norton?
    I find those bikes let the rider “fee” what was going on. A while back I sat on a big Triumph, at the insistence of the salesman. When he started the bike and I felt the torque move the bike with just a small move of the throttle.
    Takes me back.......
    OM
    If the vibration changes, you may have a problem.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    The R1800 needs a nickname/moniker for it's own thread. So what is it? Bighead comes to mind. But it ought to be named by those that ride it.
    Torque Head, if no other oil head offers this much torque. Heck even any other bmw opposed twin for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    That ship has sailed. I, too, would like to have a small-ish boxer with shaft drive, but BMW probably cannot make one any lighter weight than the R-nine-T or maybe the R1200R, so what would be the reason to build an 700/800cc boxer with shaft if it weighs about the same as a bigger capacity boxer? You and I would likely be the only buyers in the US, maybe? Too bad.
    No at least three. Count me in. I love the boxer motor; and really enjoy my NineT but a smaller engine would be just fine with me, especially if they could shave off a couple more total weight pounds

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    No at least three. Count me in. I love the boxer motor; and really enjoy my NineT but a smaller engine would be just fine with me, especially if they could shave off a couple more total weight pounds
    Based on some reports, the Guzzi V7 is around 430-lbs. That's, maybe, 60-lbs less than a R9T or 100lbs less than a R1200RS. I'm guessing that's as light as you're going to get...

Seems bmw will come out with a bagger/fairing tour model of the R18. I am guessing, hope I am wrong, it will use the current frame and rear suspension setup which I feel is lacking in travel.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    The R1800 needs a nickname/moniker for it's own thread. So what is it? Bighead comes to mind. But it ought to be named by those that ride it.
    Since it's aimed at the Harley cruiser market, perhaps pulling a naming cue from Harley's Fat Boy and The BMW cylinder head naming convention and we call it.....

The Fat Head.

I'm not a hater of this model, but I also have little interest in riding one and pretty much zero for the though of owning one. I was a little more intrigued by the K1600B when it was introduced. It is kind of pretty to look at though. I'm curious to see if it becomes successful in that diminishing market segment.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

It's certainly not a long distance cruiser. More like a hot rod naked day runner. I sold my Indian and picked up the R18. It's 80 pounds lighter, 7 inches shorter and one inch narrower (handlebars being the widest point on both) and way better handling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by enzo500 View Post
    It's certainly not a long distance cruiser. More like a hot rod naked day runner. I sold my Indian and picked up the R18. It's 80 pounds lighter, 7 inches shorter and one inch narrower (handlebars being the widest point on both) and way better handling.
    Congrats on the new bike.
    Any plans to add any of the BMW accessories when they become available?
    Are any of the accessories available now?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I will add a low windscreen to keep the wind blast off my chest. There are not parts available yet. I've checked multiple dealerships and they don't even have part numbers yet. They are saying early 2021.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo500 View Post
    I will add a low windscreen to keep the wind blast off my chest. There are not parts available yet. I've checked multiple dealerships and they don't even have part numbers yet. They are saying early 2021.
    That really looks good
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Based on some reports, the Guzzi V7 is around 430-lbs. That's, maybe, 60-lbs less than a R9T or 100lbs less than a R1200RS. I'm guessing that's as light as you're going to get...
    If Guzzi can build ABS fuel injected and shaft drive V7’s in Italy and sell them at a profit in the US for $8k, then Loncin, Zongshen, CFMoto or ChangJiang should be able to build a modern version of an R90S or R80GS for nearly the same or even less.

Something to hope for, anyway.
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-