Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: When will there be an R18 Forum section?

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    I love the first review. Really well done. Forwarded the video to my motorcycle riders at work, non BMW riders, along with one BMW rider, included in the text was a one year free membership to the MOA from me. If the R18 is a BMW product that significantly captures a wide market segment domestically in the US, this has the potential to really help our club. Iím looking forward to seeing more BMW riders at our events.

This post is too positive, please revise.

Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    This post is too positive, please revise.

I canít help myself...
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Missing in Action...

I've read reviews and looked at marketing photographs. I don't see a gas gauge (so I guess I have to remember what the mileage will be 125 or so miles after I last filled up and hope I'm not cruising out west where it can be 60 miles to the next gas station?) and no cruise-control option?
    "Solů el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1957mpd View Post
    I've read reviews and looked at marketing photographs. I don't see a gas gauge (so I guess I have to remember what the mileage will be 125 or so miles after I last filled up and hope I'm not cruising out west where it can be 60 miles to the next gas station?) and no cruise-control option?
    Here is the manual-

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Looking through the manual, there is a description of cruise control as an option. That's number two in this photo. Looks exactly the same as on my RT.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 11.01.45 AM.png

Also, there is a page advising about indications of low fuel, which is 1.1 gallons.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 11.08.35 AM.png

One other option seen in the manual is that an optional accessory is floorboards instead of pegs. The manual shows a rocker-type shifting lever too.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Here is the manual-

OM
    Oddly, the manual lists something called "fuses" - it looks like some plastic thing with two blades sticking out??? No idea what those are?

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    Oddly, the manual lists something called "fuses" - it looks like some plastic thing with two blades sticking out??? No idea what those are?
    Bike seems to have a retro look. Hopefully it has chain drive
    Letís go back to things that are not a nightmare to own.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Bike seems to have a retro look. Hopefully it has chain drive
    Letís go back to things that are not a nightmare to own.
    OM
    Open shaft drive... so watch those bell bottom pant/chaps!

I can't wait for the touring model with hard bags and a frame mounted fairing, might replace my RT.
    My wife even asked me if there was a touring model!!!

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    The R1800 needs a nickname/moniker for it's own thread. So what is it? Bighead comes to mind. But it ought to be named by those that ride it.
    How about shinny head or chrome bones as a indication of its links to Harley, such as their crossbones model?��
    Actually I kind of like it; maybe my age is showing. But a cruiser with only 4.2 gallons, where a half gallon would count as reserve only leaves 3.7 actual range. For a cruiser, that really is a problem, especially running some US regions where gas stations can be a hundred miles apart. Miss one while hitting the 80 or 90 mile mark and that's a lot of weight to push to the next gas station. Or carry gas, which is what I do now.��

I took a R1800 (100 CID) out today for a good test ride. Man, AWESOME.

This thing is a REAL motorcycle with all the visceral feedback that has been sanitized out of most modern bikes. The low-end torque is amazing and very similar to the Big Twin H-D's.

At 70 MPH in high gear (6th) the motor is turning only 2500 RPM. At 90 MPH it spins at barely 3200 RPM. These numbers are very similar to a Road King. At start-up, you'll notice a strong leftward twitch of the bike from the flywheel inertia reaction. Once the idle settles down, everything is shaking wonderfully. On the road, you also get plenty of engine feedback through the bars and seat. The mirrors even get blurry sometimes. It's all great. Reminds you that you are sitting atop a big air-cooled motor. I hope BMW resists what I expect will be calls from some quarters to better civilize this motor.

Riders with more delicate sensibilities will be placated by a relaxed and smooth ride when the big rig stays within sane cruising speeds 55-70 MPH. The thing just glides along in a very relaxed fashion.

It's a very fun machine and looking down on those massive finned cylinders that seem to stick out 4 feet on each side is a pretty sight to see. For avid BMW riders- be prepared for a totally different experience when you climb aboard this Big Boy.

Coming soon on the heels of this factory custom should be a touring bagger aimed right at Messrs H and D. Take a look here:

https://www.rideapart.com/.../spotte...8-spy-shots-2/

Last edited by leafman60; 10-08-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
    On the road, you also get plenty of engine feedback through the bars and seat. The mirrors even get blurry sometimes.
    Excluding the sex-toy industry, in what rational universe is vibration a desired performance characteristic?

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Excluding the sex-toy industry, in what rational universe is vibration a desired performance characteristic?
    If it has to be explained, you wouldn't understand!

I don't think you'll like riding the 1800.

Rally Rat
    If it has to be explained, you wouldn't understand!

I don't think you'll like riding the 1800.

Vibration is the result of imbalance and will accelerate fatigue failure. In other words, vibration is the result of poor design.

I took a R1800 (100 CID) out today for a good test ride. Man, AWESOME.

This thing is a REAL motorcycle with all the visceral feedback that has been sanitized out of most modern bikes. The low-end torque is amazing and very similar to the Big Twin H-D's.

At 70 MPH in high gear (6th) the motor is turning only 2500 RPM. At 90 MPH it spins at barely 3200 RPM. These numbers are very similar to a Road King. At start-up, you'll notice a strong leftward twitch of the bike from the flywheel inertia reaction. Once the idle settles down, everything is shaking wonderfully. On the road, you also get plenty of engine feedback through the bars and seat. The mirrors even get blurry sometimes. It's all great. Reminds you that you are sitting atop a big air-cooled motor. I hope BMW resists what I expect will be calls from some quarters to better civilize this motor.

Riders with more delicate sensibilities will be placated by a relaxed and smooth ride when the big rig stays within sane cruising speeds 55-70 MPH. The thing just glides along in a very relaxed fashion.

It's a very fun machine and looking down on those massive finned cylinders that seems to stick out 4 feet on each side is a pretty sight to see. For avid BMW riders- be prepared for a totally different experience when you climb aboard this Big Boy.

Coming soon on the heels of this factory custom should be a touring bagger aimed right at Messrs H and D. Take a look here:

https://www.rideapart.com/.../spotte...8-spy-shots-2/

Back to feeling like a motorcycle sounds good to me
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200