• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

When will there be an R18 Forum section?

I actually really like that. I hate the oil cooler placement though and think it might have looked better if it was mounted up high rather than down there right in the debris field behind the tire.

A casting! Well, time will tell.

Regarding the later “mikey” post, i once owned a Gold Wing that was involved in a recall due to frame fractures causing the suspension to drop on the rear wheel, and BMW built bikes that the front suspension fell apart on for a few riders. Many of us have had luggage racks and bag mounts and license plates fracture from load and vibration. Stuff happens.

I started riding BMW on a 600, then an 800, 1000, 1100, and 1200. Bigger has not equalled better.
It has been my hope for some time for a modern 7-800 shaft drive boxer, so i admit disappointment in BMW’s latest offering. Maybe next year ...

... It has been my hope for some time for a modern 7-800 shaft drive boxer, so i admit disappointment in BMW’s latest offering. Maybe next year ...

That ship has sailed. I, too, would like to have a small-ish boxer with shaft drive, but BMW probably cannot make one any lighter weight than the R-nine-T or maybe the R1200R, so what would be the reason to build an 700/800cc boxer with shaft if it weighs about the same as a bigger capacity boxer? You and I would likely be the only buyers in the US, maybe? Too bad.

The rear fender does not extend far forward, and i wonder what supports it?
Big twin vibration causes stress cracking at resonant frequencies.
You would not want your passenger to fall on the rear wheel at 70 mph!

A 45 degree twin is a very different thing than a 180 degree twin.

And I agree with you. My wife sits on the rear fender seat on our /2. Don’t want anybody getting hurt.

The R1800 needs a nickname/moniker for it's own thread. So what is it?:dunno Bighead comes to mind. But it ought to be named by those that ride it.

I thought- R18 or R1800 as that will attract owners to here before one of the “other” forums start up.
OM

Here we go again, badmouthing things that are new and different from what we ride. It really is tiring. But on that topic my ride is now a G310GS. It is simply the only perfect motorcycle. All you guys with those big bikes must be compensating for something I guess. :)

I love the first review. Really well done. Forwarded the video to my motorcycle riders at work, non BMW riders, along with one BMW rider, included in the text was a one year free membership to the MOA from me. If the R18 is a BMW product that significantly captures a wide market segment domestically in the US, this has the potential to really help our club. I’m looking forward to seeing more BMW riders at our events.

This post is too positive, please revise.

:rofl

Missing in Action...

I've read reviews and looked at marketing photographs. I don't see a gas gauge (so I guess I have to remember what the mileage will be 125 or so miles after I last filled up and hope I'm not cruising out west where it can be 60 miles to the next gas station?) and no cruise-control option?

I've read reviews and looked at marketing photographs. I don't see a gas gauge (so I guess I have to remember what the mileage will be 125 or so miles after I last filled up and hope I'm not cruising out west where it can be 60 miles to the next gas station?) and no cruise-control option?

Here is the manual-

OM

Looking through the manual, there is a description of cruise control as an option. That's number two in this photo. Looks exactly the same as on my RT.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 11.01.45 AM.png

Also, there is a page advising about indications of low fuel, which is 1.1 gallons.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 11.08.35 AM.png

One other option seen in the manual is that an optional accessory is floorboards instead of pegs. The manual shows a rocker-type shifting lever too.

Oddly, the manual lists something called "fuses" - it looks like some plastic thing with two blades sticking out??? No idea what those are? :rofl

Bike seems to have a retro look. Hopefully it has chain drive :bolt
Let’s go back to things that are not a nightmare to own. :clap
OM

I can't wait for the touring model with hard bags and a frame mounted fairing, might replace my RT.
My wife even asked me if there was a touring model!!!

The R1800 needs a nickname/moniker for it's own thread. So what is it?:dunno Bighead comes to mind. But it ought to be named by those that ride it.

How about shinny head or chrome bones as a indication of its links to Harley, such as their crossbones model?��
Actually I kind of like it; maybe my age is showing. But a cruiser with only 4.2 gallons, where a half gallon would count as reserve only leaves 3.7 actual range. For a cruiser, that really is a problem, especially running some US regions where gas stations can be a hundred miles apart. Miss one while hitting the 80 or 90 mile mark and that's a lot of weight to push to the next gas station. Or carry gas, which is what I do now.��

Back