• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

When will there be an R18 Forum section?

I took a R1800 (100 CID) out today for a good test ride. Man, AWESOME.

This thing is a REAL motorcycle with all the visceral feedback that has been sanitized out of most modern bikes. The low-end torque is amazing and very similar to the Big Twin H-D's.

At 70 MPH in high gear (6th) the motor is turning only 2500 RPM. At 90 MPH it spins at barely 3200 RPM. These numbers are very similar to a Road King. At start-up, you'll notice a strong leftward twitch of the bike from the flywheel inertia reaction. Once the idle settles down, everything is shaking wonderfully. On the road, you also get plenty of engine feedback through the bars and seat. The mirrors even get blurry sometimes. It's all great. Reminds you that you are sitting atop a big air-cooled motor. I hope BMW resists what I expect will be calls from some quarters to better civilize this motor.

Riders with more delicate sensibilities will be placated by a relaxed and smooth ride when the big rig stays within sane cruising speeds 55-70 MPH. The thing just glides along in a very relaxed fashion.

It's a very fun machine and looking down on those massive finned cylinders that seem to stick out 4 feet on each side is a pretty sight to see. For avid BMW riders- be prepared for a totally different experience when you climb aboard this Big Boy.

Coming soon on the heels of this factory custom should be a touring bagger aimed right at Messrs H and D. Take a look here:

https://www.rideapart.com/.../spotted-bmw-r18-spy-shots-2/

Last edited:
On the road, you also get plenty of engine feedback through the bars and seat. The mirrors even get blurry sometimes.

Excluding the sex-toy industry, in what rational universe is vibration a desired performance characteristic?

If it has to be explained, you wouldn't understand!

I don't think you'll like riding the 1800.

Vibration is the result of imbalance and will accelerate fatigue failure. In other words, vibration is the result of poor design.

I took a R1800 (100 CID) out today for a good test ride. Man, AWESOME.

This thing is a REAL motorcycle with all the visceral feedback that has been sanitized out of most modern bikes. The low-end torque is amazing and very similar to the Big Twin H-D's.

At 70 MPH in high gear (6th) the motor is turning only 2500 RPM. At 90 MPH it spins at barely 3200 RPM. These numbers are very similar to a Road King. At start-up, you'll notice a strong leftward twitch of the bike from the flywheel inertia reaction. Once the idle settles down, everything is shaking wonderfully. On the road, you also get plenty of engine feedback through the bars and seat. The mirrors even get blurry sometimes. It's all great. Reminds you that you are sitting atop a big air-cooled motor. I hope BMW resists what I expect will be calls from some quarters to better civilize this motor.

Riders with more delicate sensibilities will be placated by a relaxed and smooth ride when the big rig stays within sane cruising speeds 55-70 MPH. The thing just glides along in a very relaxed fashion.

It's a very fun machine and looking down on those massive finned cylinders that seems to stick out 4 feet on each side is a pretty sight to see. For avid BMW riders- be prepared for a totally different experience when you climb aboard this Big Boy.

Coming soon on the heels of this factory custom should be a touring bagger aimed right at Messrs H and D. Take a look here:

https://www.rideapart.com/.../spotted-bmw-r18-spy-shots-2/

Back to feeling like a motorcycle sounds good to me :thumb
OM

There is nothing like the sound and pound of a stroker motor. I guess it is a sex toy.

Kinda like riding your Norton?
I find those bikes let the rider “fee” what was going on. A while back I sat on a big Triumph, at the insistence of the salesman. When he started the bike and I felt the torque move the bike with just a small move of the throttle.
Takes me back.......
OM

Kinda like riding your Norton?
I find those bikes let the rider “fee” what was going on. A while back I sat on a big Triumph, at the insistence of the salesman. When he started the bike and I felt the torque move the bike with just a small move of the throttle.
Takes me back.......
OM

If the vibration changes, you may have a problem.

The R1800 needs a nickname/moniker for it's own thread. So what is it?:dunno Bighead comes to mind. But it ought to be named by those that ride it.
Torque Head, if no other oil head offers this much torque. Heck even any other bmw opposed twin for that matter.

That ship has sailed. I, too, would like to have a small-ish boxer with shaft drive, but BMW probably cannot make one any lighter weight than the R-nine-T or maybe the R1200R, so what would be the reason to build an 700/800cc boxer with shaft if it weighs about the same as a bigger capacity boxer? You and I would likely be the only buyers in the US, maybe? Too bad.

No at least three. Count me in. I love the boxer motor; and really enjoy my NineT but a smaller engine would be just fine with me, especially if they could shave off a couple more total weight pounds

No at least three. Count me in. I love the boxer motor; and really enjoy my NineT but a smaller engine would be just fine with me, especially if they could shave off a couple more total weight pounds

Based on some reports, the Guzzi V7 is around 430-lbs. That's, maybe, 60-lbs less than a R9T or 100lbs less than a R1200RS. I'm guessing that's as light as you're going to get...

Seems bmw will come out with a bagger/fairing tour model of the R18. I am guessing, hope I am wrong, it will use the current frame and rear suspension setup which I feel is lacking in travel.

The R1800 needs a nickname/moniker for it's own thread. So what is it?:dunno Bighead comes to mind. But it ought to be named by those that ride it.

Since it's aimed at the Harley cruiser market, perhaps pulling a naming cue from Harley's Fat Boy and The BMW cylinder head naming convention and we call it.....

The Fat Head.

I'm not a hater of this model, but I also have little interest in riding one and pretty much zero for the though of owning one. I was a little more intrigued by the K1600B when it was introduced. It is kind of pretty to look at though. I'm curious to see if it becomes successful in that diminishing market segment.

It's certainly not a long distance cruiser. More like a hot rod naked day runner. I sold my Indian and picked up the R18. It's 80 pounds lighter, 7 inches shorter and one inch narrower (handlebars being the widest point on both) and way better handling.

Attachments

• Indian_R18_before_after.jpg
    Indian_R18_before_after.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
It's certainly not a long distance cruiser. More like a hot rod naked day runner. I sold my Indian and picked up the R18. It's 80 pounds lighter, 7 inches shorter and one inch narrower (handlebars being the widest point on both) and way better handling.

Congrats on the new bike.
Any plans to add any of the BMW accessories when they become available?
Are any of the accessories available now?

I will add a low windscreen to keep the wind blast off my chest. There are not parts available yet. I've checked multiple dealerships and they don't even have part numbers yet. They are saying early 2021.

Attachments

• R18_windscreen.jpg
    R18_windscreen.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 50
I will add a low windscreen to keep the wind blast off my chest. There are not parts available yet. I've checked multiple dealerships and they don't even have part numbers yet. They are saying early 2021.

That really looks good :thumb
OM

Based on some reports, the Guzzi V7 is around 430-lbs. That's, maybe, 60-lbs less than a R9T or 100lbs less than a R1200RS. I'm guessing that's as light as you're going to get...

If Guzzi can build ABS fuel injected and shaft drive V7’s in Italy and sell them at a profit in the US for $8k, then Loncin, Zongshen, CFMoto or ChangJiang should be able to build a modern version of an R90S or R80GS for nearly the same or even less.

Something to hope for, anyway.

Back