• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Corrosion Problem with 50A Fuse Holder on 2016RT

Boxflyer

While helping find this 50A fuse on a 2014RT as posted by user 61249…I discovered a problem on my own 2016RT.

My location of the 50A fuse is right under the riders seat on the RH side of the ECU, where it's shown in the Owners Manual on Pg 14 & 148.
IMG_5339-S.jpg
IMG_5340-S.jpg

The issue with mine was that one of the 2 terminals (on the aft end) of the 50A fuse is only covered with black fabric tape, and the plastic housing that holds the fuse is clipped tight to the ECU.
The thickness of this tape is so thin that any moisture that gets between the edge of the ECU and the terminal of the 50A fuse covered in this tape can cause current to flow to the case of the ECU. There is no way to prevent all cases of water intrusion into this area under the seat, so it could happen to anyones bike I'm afraid.

In my case, I can see evidence of white oxidation on the edge of the ECU case and the tape covering the terminal of this direct connection to the battery thru the 50A fuse.
IMG_5316-S.jpg
IMG_5318-S.jpg

My solution was to insulate the connection from contact with the ECU with a couple of thick/wide zip ties.
I didn't want to make any kind of layer of plastic/insulator that would trap additional water or change the way that this fuse is designed to be cooled/protected/housed…whatever the BMW engineers had in mind.
IMG_5319-S.jpg
IMG_5320-S.jpg
IMG_5321-S.jpg

I'm looking into a more elegant solution, and will post something if I figure it out, but wanted to get this out there so you may be able to discover any issue with your bike.
This may have been a contributing factor in my unexpected dead battery at a normal fueling stop last year when my battery seemed to just "die".

Last edited:
SOLUTION TO PROBLEM

I worked out a simple resolution to the issue of current leakage from the lugs of the 50A Fuse to the alloy case of the ECU because of moisture.

The first pic is an excerpt from the Repair DVD showing the fabric adhesive tape that absorbed/held water that was my problem I discovered.

My zip tie method is pretty simple and shouldn't allow water to bridge the small gap between the high current wire directly from the battery thru the lugs to the ECU.
I wanted to prevent a continuous layer type of insulating shield along the bottom of the plastic fuse holder that could trap and then hold water between either the lugs or the ECU.

You may not EVER have a problem, but it may be the cause of a totally drained battery that left me stranded at a fuel stop.

IMG_5350-M.jpg
IMG_5346-M.jpg

IMG_5347-M.jpg
IMG_5349-M.jpg

No Corrosion on my 2017 RT

After seeing the corrosion of Boxflyer's '15 RT above, I thought I would look at mine to see if I had a similar issue. As it turns out, mine is fine. My 2017 RT has 20k miles, and has been operated primarily in the dry mountain west. And I rarely ride on roads that have been mag'd. So, I have fewer miles, fewer years, and less exposure to corrosive road treatments.

Cap

Fuse50A.jpg

Back